Sleep vs Exercise

Options
I'm pretty new here and I'm still looking for ways to improve my daily habits to be a healthier and fitter me!

I've heard from multiple sources how important it is to run/jog ( along with other strength training exercises) as well as get a great nights sleep.
As an undergrad physics major, I do not have a lot of wiggle room in my schedule.
I'm trying to improve my time management so I can manage to get in both, but in the mean time which is better? Should I make sure I try to get my 7 hours of sleep a night? Or should I wake up an hour early so I can get in a morning jog?

Thoughts please!

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    from my own personal experience, sleep. In the past I'd be cranky, over eat just not be in good spirits from lack of sleep.
  • yeremeyeva
    Options
    I would definintely try to fit SOME exercise in. You could get up HALF an hour earier if the morning is your only option. I don't think it will make too much of a difference if you sleep 6.5 hours. If you were getting 4-5 hours a night i would suggest that you take the extra time to sleep. But I have noticed a direct relationship between my exercise and how much energy I have.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm all for a quick sprint in the morning. Even 15 minutes.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Every other day. That way you split between the two necessities.

I'm a graduate chemist. I know its tough finding time to exercise!
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I have been trying really hard to listen to what my body needs each day. Many mornings I wake up and feel fine for an early morning workout. There are some mornings however that I am just so tired and need that extra sleep. Some days in the past if I force myself to skimp on sleep so that I can workout I seem to eat more calories just because I am so tired.
  • Pattiann237
    Options
    I would definitely make sure you get sleep!!! I've been there, where your schedule is just so full. You could try incorporating exercise into your day, for example, keep some light weights around the house and do some arm exercises when doing other things. There are lots of quick exercises you can do at home!
  • lizblizz28
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses! :)

I think I'll try getting up early MWF this week and see how it feels, then judge from there.
    As far as the quick exercises to do at home, do you have any other suggestions?
  • lindasain
    lindasain Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    good choice
  • tillwewakeupII
    Options
    if you don't get at least 6 hours of sleep everyday, your metabolism slows down and you actually burn less calories than you actually would if you were working out and sleeping enough :/ so what I suggest you to do is sleep. it is really essential for yourself.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Sleep is more important than exercise. Any exercise you do will be meaningless if you don't get enough sleep for your body to recover from it.

1. Eat right
    2. Get enough sleep
    3. Exercise

Health is more about what you eat than how active you are. Exercise is really only 10% of the equation.
  • MichelleMcWain
    MichelleMcWain Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can always try a workout dvd that has both cardio and strength training in it. I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and its a good workout for all types of bodies. I have a lot of weight to lose and at first I felt like I was dying. I did this DVD with a friends of mine who is farly skinny and she was still exhausted when we were finished and the workout is only 20 min so you can squeeze it in when you have time. I also add walking 30min out of my day..
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sleep is my top priority.
    And I always find creative ways to get in my exercise as well.

Just work on making health and fitness a priority, and in the weeks ahead, make time for what is required to reach your goals.
    Good luck!
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
    i have no world class answer but one thing i'd like to state is: never *kitten* with your sleep. you should ALWAYS put sleep first. after that comes the healthy eating (at least for me). then the exercise.

Best regards,
    me, the lifetime insomniac.
  • Pattiann237
    Options
    Thanks for all the great responses! :)

I think I'll try getting up early MWF this week and see how it feels, then judge from there.
    As far as the quick exercises to do at home, do you have any other suggestions?

My mom is the queen of working out while doing other things. Some stuff she does: light weights while on the computer. She does a plank on the floor during commercials when watching TV (I used to make fun of her for this, but she has better abs then I do and shes 58!), when shes making breakfast or dinner she does heel lifts, where you stand up on your toes and lower back down. She also will go up and down on the bottom step, and shes always doing crunches. Oh, and she does that thing where you sit, and then push your butt past the chair, but lower up and down with your arms (I don't think I'm explaining that very well!!)
  • lizblizz28
    Options
    Awesome! Those are all great ideas!
    I guess the main thing I should work on is time management so I can sleep and exercise.
  • honu18
    honu18 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I just finished a demanding undergrad degree--and for 3 years, I didn't work out at all. I had a hard time sleeping and was stressed and thought I was so busy. This last semester, I worked out every day for 45 minutes or so, and I found myself to be more productive with my time, I worked more efficiently, and I slept more soundly and better. It honestly may help you manage your time, if you know you have to get things done in less time because of working out, you may up your efficiency.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    For me, I think sleep is slightly more important than exercise. If I don't sleep enough, I get irritable and also don't put as much thought into what I'm putting into my body.

As for exercise, I try to get a good 45 min workout (35 elliptical, 10 strength) in 3x/week and be as active as possible on non-exercise days (ie- taking a short walk on a work break, doing dishes or other active chores around the house).