Eating Healthy on a Budget

Options

Replies

• thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    One thing we do is roast a chicken on the weekend. We pay $10 for a large plump chicken, which will make several meals for a family of 3 (and lunches too!) Another thing we do is buy black beans and other beans dry, which are pretty cheap and they are both healthy and cheap. We buy some fresh produce,like apples, but for the most part we buy frozen vegetables. With frozen veggies we can portion out what we'll eat for each meal and save the rest. I buy whole grain or whole wheat bread when it's on sale and it goes in the freezer.

If I were single I could easily live on $25 a week for groceries. For the 3 of us I spend between 50-75 a week.
  • tattooxmama
    Options
    I agree with the PP who mentioned Aldi... I can easily drop 30-40 bucks and have FRESH produce and healthy food for two weeks!
    I love having peppers, carrots and hummus for lunch, and I can get all of that from Aldi... seriously, you'd be surprised at all of the food they have now
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the grocery stores-Yep, three stores today, but this is what I got-
    Aldi- 2 3packs of kiwi .99 each
    Anjou Pears about 7 in a bag for $1.39 (2lb. bag) bought 2
    Honey Wheat Pretzels, large container $3.99
    Neufchatel $1.19 each
    Romaine Hearts $1.89 (3 pack)
    Spinach $.99

Now their sales change during the week, so I know the produce prices will change.

I went to Kroger and got their cottage cheese (it's my favorite) $1.99, bought three containers (ok, I'm feeding three kids and a hubby too)
    1/2 gallons of 1% that were marked down to .99, Sell by date 2/20
    Luna bar that I got free (catalina coupon)
    1 doz. eggs that I got free (coupon that Kroger sent me in the mail for shopping so much with them)

Meijer-
    Unbleached all purpose flour $1.59, I do a lot of baking
    Clearance orange & yellow peppers,a bag of four peppers for less that $1.50 It seems their clearance produce is out on Sunday/Monday.
    I will also get strawberries there tomorrow when I return a Redbox movie.

I watch sales, go to several stores and plan my meals around sales. Above is mainly dairy and produce that I got on sale for the week. I still need to plan meals around what I've already got in the freezer. If I find bananas on clearance, I will freeze them for muffins & smoothies and I've also chopped up peppers before for fajitas & other cooked items (you can't use them as if you were going to fresh if you freeze them.)
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Oats, frozen veggies, frozen chicken breasts, canned tuna.. try to buy things in bulk.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Blue Diamond, Kashi, Morningstar, Cascadian, Annies and several others always have coupons. I print tons of coupons to help cut the cost. Kroger doubles coupons for even more savings. And as mentioned, Aldi's has great prices on produce. I price match Aldi's at WalMart since WM is closer to me. I also stockpile and have a year supply of HBA stuffs that my only shopping expense for the month really is only food and since we have stopped eating out so much that has helped with the grocery budget too! And dont forget to buy store brands too. Just as good at a fraction of the cost. I LOVE Kroger brand CARBmaster yogurt. Yummy and low in sugar and cheaper than Dannon, Yoplait or Chobani. I put Kashi Go Lean Crunch in mine every morning!
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Though you want to stay away from canned fruits canned vegetables are pretty good and buying thins in bulk really helps also try sticking to a few very versatile foods I noticed that people like to buy a lot of small packs of healthy foods when they are trying to eat right and then in a week its all go I live off of pretty much
    Apples
    Bananas
    Sandwich thins
    Peanut butter
    Turkey (ground sliced or whole which ever is on sale that month)
    Broccoli
    Frozen mixed vegetables
    Potatoes
    Cheese
    Cereal
    Milk
    Brown rice
    Sugar free Popsicle
    All which i get at Bj's once a month Sure it would be nice to buy lots more and sometime when i can i do but thats really all i personally need
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Though you want to stay away from canned fruits canned vegetables are pretty good and buying thins in bulk really helps also try sticking to a few very versatile foods I noticed that people like to buy a lot of small packs of healthy foods when they are trying to eat right and then in a week its all go I live off of pretty much
    Apples
    Bananas
    Sandwich thins
    Peanut butter
    Turkey (ground sliced or whole which ever is on sale that month)
    Broccoli
    Frozen mixed vegetables
    Potatoes
    Cheese
    Cereal
    Milk
    Brown rice
    Sugar free Popsicle
    All which i get at Bj's once a month Sure it would be nice to buy lots more and sometime when i can i do but thats really all i personally need
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I eat many of those things. Recently my school has become latex and nut free though. It means I can't bring any sort of nuts (peanut butter and almonds kill me the most) along with kiwis, bananas or stawberries. These are so many healthy foods that I love that I cannot bring to school for lunch. I even eat breakfast at home now so I can eat them at some point! Just another obstacle lol.
  • AshleyTonks
    AshleyTonks Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am always on a budget. I find that frozen vegetables are just as good. I also incorporate alot of rice and beans into my meals as those go so far and are very inexpensive. I also shop at a Safeway and they have a lot of the BOGO's so I get a lot of the fish and the chicken that they have on sale. I also do the same with the bagged lettuces. Good luck though, it isn't easy.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am always surprised at how many people think it is expensive to eat 'healthy'. A bag of apples costs the same or less than a bag of chips. A bag of frozen veggies cost the same as a bag of frozen fries. WOW - do people not eat proper portion sizes. Our family eats healthy, we don't have a lot of money and with health issues that we need to buy for it can get costly. Priorities is what it is about.

Feeding 1 - 2 people some 'fast food' whether it is from the grocery store or a restaurant, costs more than feeding a family of 4 for 2 healthy dinners.

Get your budget done and shop the outside of the store, get some of the canned staples (beans, tomatoes, etc..) when they are on sale. Pre-make snack bags, suppers, lunches etc...

Everyone can do this - again priorities.
  • jamiedailey
    jamiedailey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We have been making soup every sunday and making 2x the recipe so we can pack it for lunch. There are a lot of weight watcher soups that are good and are already in the calorie counter on mfp:happy:
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I agree with frozen fruits and veggies. Also, planning out each meal can really help you stay on track and not buy any extra things you won't need (at least it's helped me!) Some stores also reduce certain foods if they are close to expiring, you can stock up on those and throw them in the freezer and take them out once you need them. (When I was in the UK, the Co-op would sometimes sell seasoned uncooked chicken for 10p! and that was enough for two lunches and two dinners for my bf and me). I don't see it that much in the US, but I know they are around too. Also, store-brand isn't all that bad. You can also hunt down some coupons. I qualify for WIC and they told me about this one place that will fill up any bag you bring full of fruits and veg and there is another place that will give you enough food for four people for a week for $30. I know its a bit over your budget, but if you are making food only for yourself, then it's a great deal if they have a place in your area (angel food ministries). That's all I can think of, I hope some of it helps!
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    So the more personal labor you put into your food, the less expensive it is per unit. Like if you bake your own bread (or make your own tortillas) it comes out less expensive than purchasing these things pre-made for you. Fruit and veggies in season do tend to be less expensive. The less meat you eat the less expensive your grocery bill will be. I recommend eating more beans, peas, and legumes may be at least 3 days a week. If you go that route purchase dried beans rather than canned. Again more work on your part, but less on your pockets. I do recommend investing in a crock pot if you don't already have one. It can really cut down the cooking time you spend on a dish so that you can go to work, workout, and anything else you may need to do while things get ready for dinner time. Cooking in bulk and freezing them into individual sizes for future meals allows you to prevent waste, save time, and buy in bulk which can be less expensive. I hope these tips help, good luck to you hun.
  • jamiedailey
    jamiedailey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    to the pictures and prices above...idk about those prices! I wish I could buy those things for such cheap prices! lol maybe each state is different but here in pa just for example you would never find grapes for 88cents along with many of those other items I would say I pay double if not triple those prices....
  • ashley67203
    Options
    I've found that vegan recipes can be really inexpensive to make. I love meat but it is so pricey, especially lean meat. I look for recipes made out of pantry staples like grains, beans, lentils, canned and frozen vegetables, etc. I made an Indian dahl with brown rice this week that cost less than 50 cents per serving. Any dish based around textured vegetable protein is mega-cheap.
  • Mom2PAK
    Mom2PAK Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    to the pictures and prices above...idk about those prices! I wish I could buy those things for such cheap prices! lol maybe each state is different but here in pa just for example you would never find grapes for 88cents along with many of those other items I would say I pay double if not triple those prices....

I was thinking the same thing! I understand the point that is trying to be made but some of those prices are not realistic.
  • knelson422
    Options
    eggs for breakfast. They are $1.20 a dozen here, can last for 6 breakfasts. Cheaper than cereal and milk. I use lots of brown rice and beans as well. Lots of soups, they are less expensive too. Good luck.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to have a Trader Joe's in my area. I never realized how much cheaper they are then my local grocery store. I buy as much as I can there and then my grocery store. One thing I started eating on weekends are luna bars. At the grocery store, they are 1.29, Rite-Aid - 1.79, and Trader Joe's - .99!!! There should be a Trader Joe's everywhere
    \

I have a Trader Joes by me, never go. What do u recommend there?