I have a ferret - help!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
The first bizarre animal thing to happen to me today:
After waking up and going to a breakfast joint with some friends, walking back into their apartment we noticed something moving near their front door. Upon closer inspection it was nothing other than a ferret. It was cold, wet, and shivering. It's been raining nonstop for the past few days, so I don't know how long it was in the rain - just that one of their neighbors saw it yesterday and figured it belonged to a neighborhood kid. He also said that he had seen it coming and going from a dryer pipe, which I don't think is a very safe place for a ferret.

It is definitely tame, as soon as we came near it came right to us. When we went to walk in the apartment it tried to jump inside with us - my guess is to get dry.

So, I have an extra cage, which I run home and grab.

Right now the ferret is curled up in the cage, its been sleeping since I got it here. Its dried off, and I got it some ferret chow and water. Is it normal for them to sleep so much? I am guessing he/she is just quite tired.

Any idea how to sex a ferret?

I know nothing about ferrets - let alone rescuing them. The cage is sparse (just food, water, a cloth, and 2 toys) because I don't know if I'll be able to find the owner or not.

So, what do ferrets eat? Is ferret chow ok? Are there any special considerations? I have a corner litter pan which I'll put in as soon as the ferret "decides on a corner" if you know what I mean. My experience is all with pet rats and rabbits, but apparently god decided its time for me to have a ferret, if only for a few days.

Replies

• debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about ferrets other than they're cute...but bless you for rescuing this poor animal, if only until you find it's owner.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I'd get him to a vet before you do anything else. He needs to be tested for communicable diseases and general health. Ferret-specific food is important because they need a high-protein diet. Give him something to curl up in/on. They like hammocks. I think ferrets are lovely, and if I had the money I'd own one. :smile:
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    your life is soo awesome!
    i would LOVE a pet ferret! :love: :love:
    but im not allowed to have pets cause my grandfather thinks theyre all gross and dirty lol.
    so when i move out im getting a meercat, heh heh.
    take good care of him, and if you can't find the owner/ don't want him, i'll gladly take him off your hands :D
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Awww how sweet ! i used to have an albino ferret for a pet. Ok let me try to remember. The corner litter pan is great. I had a huge cage - 4 feet tall with multiple levels. They like to sleep in hammocks. They like tubes and tunnels. Ferret chow is fine. The males stink if their not fixed. I put lots of old t-shirts and baby blankets in the cage for him to snuggle in. I washed them every day. They are like spunky puppies and they have super sharp teeth. They sleep most of the day away and play at night. Get a big hamster ball for it to run around in. Have fun ! Ferrets are great pets. I found a new home for my Roscoe when I had my daughter. He was very jealous of her and it was not improving. I miss the little guy. Cindy :heart:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have never owned a ferret but knew someone that did. They are FAST at getting into things they shouldn't. They have sharp teeth,:devil: and if they feel threatened, even if they are not being threatened, they will use those teeth to let the offender know their feelings. :angry: They are also not the easiest pet to have over the long haul, so I would think long and hard before keeping it.

Your local animal shelter might be able to take it off your hands, and it is possible you might reach the owner through them as well. In my area, anytime any type of pet comes up missing, you always call in to see if someone turned it in.

Good luck.
  • sandy429
    sandy429 Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is bringing back memories! Ours always liked to hide, so be careful when you sit down. They also tore a hole in the bottom of our box spring of our bed and used to sleep and hide things in there. Sometimes, they would steal my bath beads and hide them. Then, every once in a while they'd smell really good because they had broken one open and rolled around in it. :laugh:

I hope you don't have any potted plants on the floor. Remove them if you do or you just might come home to a disaster area. As for the corner, it worked for our male ferret. Our female would just stop in her tracks, wherever she may have been, poop, and then continue on her way. :noway: :grumble:
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I'd get him to a vet before you do anything else. He needs to be tested for communicable diseases and general health. Ferret-specific food is important because they need a high-protein diet. Give him something to curl up in/on. They like hammocks. I think ferrets are lovely, and if I had the money I'd own one. :smile:

YES, take him to the vet. There are not many zoonotic diseases (those that can be passed between you and the ferret) to worry about, but he/she does have an unknown vaccination history, so don't get bit! Your vet can help you sex the ferret and give you good advice about housing and husbandry issues. I would also suggest having the vet do some general bloodwork to make sure your new ferret is in good health. Good luck!

ps - call around to vets and find one that is very comfortable with exotic species (this includes ferrets) before just picking one.
  • msarro
    Options
    Well, I am trying to keep in mind that ferrets in our area sell for a pretty large sum of money (~200$) so I want to make sure that if I find the owner that it is actually the owner. I'm going to contact the management of the apartment complex my friends live in and see if anyone is looking. I also have my friends asking around.

Any good ferret-owner tests? Besides describing the color of the thing.

4886_518165151114_39300287_30916303_4350725_n.jpg

I'm going to wait 2 weeks before I take him/her to the vet, I figure if I haven't found the owner in 2 weeks then the chances of finding the real owner will go down exponentially.
  • beyondchowhound
    beyondchowhound Posts: 2,102 Member
    Options
    It looks very content. You may want to put an ad in the found section of your newspaper and tell the SPCA or local shelter that you have found one. Really nice of you to take it in out of the rain. What a good guy!!!
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I know nothing, except you're a great guy with a big heart. The person who lost him is probably either terriby upset-and with be so thankful for you:smooched: , or unfortunately could have dumped it-which, thank God you took him in, or he would have a different fate. I was sooo upset when one of my cats got out while I was away, and thankfully some good soul took him to the Humane Society, where I had got him. Congrats and a big hug for being you! Have a great father's Day (if your a Dad). You may to be a cute Ferret soon!:heart: Kath
  • strongandfit
    strongandfit Posts: 231
    Options
    '

Good advice about getting it tested for communicable diseases. That was the first thought that came to my mind.
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    Well, I am trying to keep in mind that ferrets in our area sell for a pretty large sum of money (~200$) so I want to make sure that if I find the owner that it is actually the owner. I'm going to contact the management of the apartment complex my friends live in and see if anyone is looking. I also have my friends asking around.

Any good ferret-owner tests? Besides describing the color of the thing.

4886_518165151114_39300287_30916303_4350725_n.jpg

I'm going to wait 2 weeks before I take him/her to the vet, I figure if I haven't found the owner in 2 weeks then the chances of finding the real owner will go down exponentially.

YES, there is another test for an owner. there are several products which are microchip based and have a code that can be read with a scanner - Home Again, AVID, etc. If you bring him/her to a vet, they can scan the ferret and see if there is a microchip. if there is, it is easy to track down the owner with that information.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Okay...I am also a ratty fan and have never owned a ferret...get it to a vet just to check on him. Make sure the vet specializes in small animals (I'm sure you know this having owned ratties and buns) and post adds with the vet, local paper, petfinder.com (I highly recomend...I've adopted 3 dogs off that site). Also...what ever you do, do not surrender him to an animal shelter...find a rescue group specifically for small animals. Most animal shelters are not equiped to handle small animals and will put them down just for the sake of convienance. Best of luck...keep us updated. :bigsmile: :heart:
  • msarro
    Options
    So, I have made the decision that if I do not find his parents, I will take it as a sign that God wants me to have a ferret. It does seem strange that it appeared the day I finished couch to 5k...maybe its some sort of divine reward? :laugh:

For now he seems to be eating, and drinking. I need to get him to the vet but I can't afford it until Thursday when I get paid. My mother runs a rat rescue, so she has meds and is also in contact with numerous ferret breeders. So for now I am watching for wheezing, wet nose, etc. No sign of any badness yet. If I find any I have ways of getting the necessary medicine/antibiotics.

Have a visit to the vet scheduled for monday night - its the soonest they have open. I'll get it scanned, and if nothing than at least they can have it on record that I tried to find the owners.
  • msarro
    Options
    Went to my parents place today to pick up some veterinary amoxicillin because I noticed that the ferret was sneezing constantly. I'm guessing with his time in the rain, he got himself a cold. I'm dosing it out at 25mg/kg following the recommendations of a vet, and the Merck manual. I'm assuming he weighs about 2 pounds, but I'll know for sure tomorrow. I love knowing people who work in animal rescues :laugh:

Hopefully I can nurse this little guy back to health. Animals tend to hide being sick pretty well - but he doesn't seem to have a runny nose, or gross eyes. Just the sneezing. I'm hoping that's a good sign.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    It is a sign....you finished and you now have time for a new friend. You're doing great, it's more than what most people would do. I have a local rattery nearby (ga street rats) and it's where I've adoped my brood. I haven't had any ratties in about 3 years because my dachshund would rather not be friends with them and I can't run the risk. Was your mom able to sex it? If not I found a pretty good site.

http://www.harrys-ferrets.co.uk/page63.html

Hope this helps. :bigsmile:
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    I have four ferrets. If you you have an questions, just message me!

Oh, to check the sex, just watch it when it pees. If it pees from the middle of it's belly, it's a male. If it pees from the back, it's a female. You can also usually tell just by flipping them over. If it looks like he has a belly button, most likely a male. Males are also usually a little bigger.

They do get the same cold we do and usually fight it off themselves without too much of an issue.

As for finding the owner...some ferrets have a distinctive smell. One of mine smells like maple syrup, another a little like playdough. If there is a distinctive smell to the fur, that might be a clue. But, being in a different environment and having been outside for that long will probably alter the smell a little.

Good luck!
  • angelajiniel
    angelajiniel Posts: 115
    Options
    Also wanted to let you know it is normal for them to sleep like 16-18 hours a day. It's what they do. And make sure your new friend isn't walking just on the bare wire floor of the cage, that can hurt them. Line it with newspaper and lots of old towels, etc.

Looks like a gorgeous one. Have fun! They love to play but will get into anything and everything. Let it out of the cage for some play time (ideally daily) but make sure you secure the area first. One of mine can even get under the door into the den. She's so tiny we have to stuff a blanket under there!
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    Okay...I am also a ratty fan and have never owned a ferret...get it to a vet just to check on him. Make sure the vet specializes in small animals (I'm sure you know this having owned ratties and buns) and post adds with the vet, local paper, petfinder.com (I highly recomend...I've adopted 3 dogs off that site). Also...what ever you do, do not surrender him to an animal shelter...find a rescue group specifically for small animals. Most animal shelters are not equiped to handle small animals and will put them down just for the sake of convienance. Best of luck...keep us updated. :bigsmile: :heart:

fyi - in the veterinary field, small animal means cats and dogs, and sometimes pocket pets such as rabbits, rats, mice, ferrets, etc. The terms exotics refers to all small mammals (rabbits, ferrets, etc), reptiles, birds, etc.

Just graduated from vet school (I'll be doing large animals which is why I don't tons of experience with ferrets), so that;s why I felt the need to clarify. If you call a vet and ask if they see small animals, there might be some confusion.
  • wildkitty505
    wildkitty505 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hey there, former ferret owner here :) I had 8 in total and miss my fuzzies all the time. Here are a few things that might help:

Sexing - Pretty easy, does it have a "belly button"? If so, you have yourself a boy (and it's not a belly button!). Boys are bigger than girls (female 1-3lbs male 3-5lbs) but with no comparison that won't help. Females also tend to have much pointer faces. In the picture it looks like you might have a young one but it's hard to tell.

Check it's ears for a small tattoo. Marshall Farms breeds the majority of ferrets sold in pet stores and they place a small tattoo (kust a black spot) on the ear once the ferret has been spayed or neutered. It's pretty hard to get an unaltered ferret in the states so I'm sure this one has been fixed. It is important because female ferrets can become very ill if they go into heat and aren't bred. Males also get extra stinky if they aren't fixed. Most ferrets are also descented. It's a fairly useless practice and it's banned in other countries but we still do it here because it makes people think they won't smell.

Like someone else said you should feed it a food made specifically for ferrets because they have a high protein diet. In a pinch you can use a high quality kitten food.

Sadly ferrets are super-cute and lots of people buy them as pets without checking into what it takes to really own one. They are absolutely wonderful pets but they do have a smell that isn't going to go away. Actually bathing them too frequently just makes them produce more oil and smell worse! To love a ferret you just have to accept it.

I hope things go well, feel free to message me if you have any questions :)