1 pound raw chicken = how many oz cooked chicken?

Options
I get sort of frustrated when a recipe has nutritional information that is just a certain amount of servings, but they don't tell you how much each serving is...

My recipe calls for 1 pound of raw chicken but when I portion it out after it is done, I want to know how many oz the cooked chicken will be. (I am going to make more than one pound, but I want the measurements to add up correctly when it is cooked).

Replies

• jcvigi
    jcvigi Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, cooked meat should be %75-80 percent of the uncooked weight.
  • OccupyFitness
    Options
    Thank you!!!!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    1 serving of meat should be the size of a closed fist.... or 4 ounces. 1 and a half pounds of chicken breast is 24 ounces, or 8 servings.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    1 lb= 16 ounces :)
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Every 4 oz raw chicken should yield around 3 oz cooked.

16/4 = 4 * 3 = 12 oz cooked.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My rules is to always weigh the cooked food so no complications and frustration.
  • Preesy
    Preesy Posts: 37
    Options
    I know this has been around for a while with no new bumps but this showed up in my google search trying to find out the same thing. Thank you to those commenting.

Weighing your cooked meat is not always reasonable to expect especially if the meat is added to a casserole or other dish where you'd have to dig the pieces of meat out, scrape off all the other ingredients, weigh it, then replace it in the dish.. That's more work than most of us want to go through and it ruins the presentation of the dish to those of us who like our meals to be pretty when the family digs in! =)
  • desssttt
    Options
    It's not as easy to weigh the cooked product when you add things like egg or oatmeal, like I do with ground chicken and turkey. 4 oz uncooked = 3 oz cooked, as mentioned.
  • desssttt
    Options
    That's not exactly what the question was haha
  • shortstuff17
    shortstuff17 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    1 serving of meat should be the size of a closed fist.... or 4 ounces. 1 and a half pounds of chicken breast is 24 ounces, or 8 servings.

16+8=24
    24/4= 6 servings, not 8...just saying...