5 miles, 7 minute mile pace-- good?

Options
So I am training for a 5 mile race, I did a 5 mile practice yesterday (I have been training up), and was able to do it 35 minutes---so a 7 minute mile pace.

I never raced before, is this a decent pace to be somewhat competetive in the race? I just want to place decently...

thoughts?

thx

(also the race is in 4 and half weeks)

Replies

• rob_base
    Options
    no runners tonight?
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Fantastic time 7 min /mile so 5 miles 35 min. Wowww. Close to 9 mph. If you do this then you're very fast.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    That's awesome, r u kidding me.......just awesome!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    That's seriously awesome
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'd say you're doing pretty good. Grant it you're a guy so I know you tend to naturally move quicker. But I'd still say you're makeing good time.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Fantastic time 7 min /mile so 5 miles 35 min. Wowww. Close to 9 mph. If you do this then you're very fast.

Ditto.

But it's really about YOU, not the other runners. I can't tell you if that's fast enough to satisfy your own drive and motivation. Only you can.

Good luck on the race!!
  • laurcar
    Options
    its an awesome pace if its your first race - (i certainly can't run it that fast!) its not about where you place - i came 5th to last in my first marathon last year but it was about finishing it and having a time to beat for next time!
    if i was you i would do some speed work and use this as a base to work for pbs off of :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    That's a pretty good time. Whether or not you are competitive depends on who you are racing. If this is a regular local race then I expect you will place pretty high.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    That is a very good pace, you'll be very competitive. The last 8k I did (treesgreenville.org turkey day 8k) that pace would put you in the top 50 out of over 1000 runners. Keep in mind people tend to run a little faster during races than when training (adrenaline combined with what I call the "I'm chasing that guy" phenomenon). My best training runs are usually around 8:20-8:30 for tempo runs and I ran that same 8k at an 8:03 pace.

You'll do good. Congrats on the great time, I'm jealous :wink:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Solid pace for sure. Should put you ahead of 90% (or more) of the pack.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's quite fast, but if you're looking to see how you'll rank, google last year's race results to get an idea of where you'll place.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    go speed racer go.
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! I can't wait to be able to go that fast.:smile:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I think its a great pace but depending on your definition of competitive. Are you looking to podium?

It really depends on the field. I know around here the AG Podium spots generally go to people who hold ridiculously fast times like sub 6 minute miles.
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's quite fast, but if you're looking to see how you'll rank, google last year's race results to get an idea of where you'll place.
    Yes it's a good pace, but you'll have to check your age bracket when you google it to see how competitive. My son runs xcountry for high school and his mile splits are usually around 5:35 - 5:45 for a 5k.
  • rob_base
    Options
    Thanks all, glad to hear I am on track...it's a relatively new race so can't google old results.....I appreciate the encouragement, I guess I am doing well after all....
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • XxKeNnYxX
    XxKeNnYxX Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    That's a very respectable pace.