Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss

Options
So many people say "I can't lose weight, I have a thyroid problem." You know what? This is complete and utter baloney. Many people with a thyroid problem have managed to successfully lose weight. It's all about understanding the mechanics of weight loss. And being very strict with yourself.

In the fall of 2003, I hit 196 and was horrified that I had to buy size 16 jeans. This was my breaking point. I was in tears for days. I joined ediets, and started my struggles with losing weight. I managed to get down to 150 by the end of two years. I exercised 3 hours a day, ate 1600 calories a day, always in well balanced meals. I was meticulous with using my food and exercise journal. I did it all on my own.
However, I started gaining back. Slowly at first, faster as I got super frustrated. I've been to 6 different doctors to help me figure out why. They tried depression drugs, did all bloodwork under the sun and everything came back as "normal." I started seeing a councelor in 2008. She directed me to one more doctor. This one did all the tests and came back with a diagnosis of sub-clinical hypothyroidism. Started treating with Cytomel. It made a huge change, but I gained even faster now! I was ravenous all the time! So I switched yet again. No to cytomel, take Synthroid! But during this time I was doing my own research, and I never got feeling better. Went to see the doctor again and again. One time I went to the walk-in because he wasn't in, there I got life changing advice. One more doctor's name.
Dr. Cusimano has been my best friend, my weight loss coach, and the very first doctor who has taken me seriously when I say "I don't feel good." I am losing weight again now that we have all my medications figured out (Armour thyroid! yay!) I feel like a human being again!
Long story short, if you need help, seek it. No one, no doctor, knows your body better than you do.
Second, just because you're hypothyroid, doesn't mean you're doomed to being over weight!
Know your numbers - Free T3, Free T4 and TSH. And "normal" does not always mean that's normal for you!

You CAN lose weight being hypothyroid. You CAN find a doctor that will work with you. YOU must take the time to seek the proper care!

Replies

• JenLost
    Options
    Great post. I have an appointment tomorrow and next week I'm getting a thyroid ultrasound. My brother had thyroid cancer and my mom has a lump near her thyroid and both suffer from hypothyroidism.

I suspect something is wrong because I'm always cold, tired, I don't have energy and am having trouble losing weight (but no trouble at all gaining it). So we'll see what happens.

But you are absolutely right, no one knows yourself better than you. When you think something is not right, chances are it probably isn't.
  • GrandmaJody
    GrandmaJody Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with you! I too am hypothyroid, and it was a very difficult journey, but don't stop until you get properly diagnosed and treated. stopthethyroidmadness is a wonderful site with a lot of helpful insight. Synthroid did nothing for me besides make me feel even worse. Armour was the right one for me too. Arm yourself with knowledge, take notes and bring them with you. If they won't even listen to you, move on. It can be done! :)
    A big thank you to the OP, for bringing this up.
  • swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Completely agree! Once you get your TSH in a normal range, losing weight is possible with hard work! I'm 9 pounds down already!
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Awesome and inspirational story. Thank you for sharing.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    So true!!

I have hypothyroidism and have not had any issues with my weight loss. I have been taking synthyroid for about 6 months - I was diagnosed 8 years ago but let my meds lapse and never went back, even then I didn't have an issue losing weight, when I was dedicated. Now I'm on the correct dose and go back every 6 months for blood work.

You have got to be your own advocate when it comes to your health.
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    Great post.

I tried for the longest time to lose weight. I ate healthier, went to the gym and took aerobic classes more than I had before. Still, nothing happened. Sometimes I even gained weight. I was getting frustrated and developed other problems before I went to the doctor. She took blood tests and lo and behold I ended up having hypothyroidism. I didn't even think my blood tests would've come back with anything actually wrong, even though I knew something wasn't right. It took long enough for my levels to be normal, but now I'm on Synthroid with no problems and finally losing weight! Nice to see others with the same situation.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My thyroid is enlarged and I have nodules and my blood work keeps coming back normal I don't feel well but the doctors are doing nothing to help. I have still lost weight but it has taken 7 mths to lose 44lbs. It's coming off so slowly despite my work. It can be done but it is not easy.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    People like that are just looking for excuses. Hypothyroidism is actually pretty easy to manage with diet and exercise for most people, but some need supplemental medication to bring it up. It takes commitment, because it will come right back if you are not on top of it and it is something that needs medical management. You literally need to have quarterly doctors appointments and most people are to lazy, or "busy" to keep on top of everything. I rant, because it is something I have struggled with as well for years and I'm tired of hearing the excuses (from people who have never actually even been diagnosed) that they CAN'T lose weight. Nothing is impossible if you want it bad enough.
  • linb99
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism, but i started with hypERthyroidism. It was really weird. I started out being constantly hungry no matter how much i ate and i ate a LOT! but was losing weight 2 - 3 pounds a week. My heart would race off and on and i would have hot flashes. I thought it was stress from my job because i was working 55 - 60 hours a week, had two kids and my husbands job took him out of town a lot. Finally went to the doctor because i was afraid i was going to have a heart attack. After listening to the description of my symptoms he started feeling my throat, and told me my thyroid gland was enlarged. He took blood and when the results came back referred me to an endocronoligist. That was really frustrating for a while. The first thing he did was irradiate my thyroid gland which was miserable. I developed sores on my neck and my hair started falling out and i started gaining weight rapidly even though i was cutting my calories like crazy. And it seemed like i was in his office constantly getting blood work done because we couldnt get the meds right and i was exhausted all the time. But finally we got the dosage right and i started feeling much better, except i still had a bunch of weight to lose. I'm stable now, but still have to have blood work twice a year and occassional medication adjustments. Everyones experience is different.
  • rbbrrmqn
    rbbrrmqn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pigwidgeon82
    pigwidgeon82 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    So many people say "I can't lose weight, I have a thyroid problem." You know what? This is complete and utter baloney. Many people with a thyroid problem have managed to successfully lose weight. It's all about understanding the mechanics of weight loss. And being very strict with yourself.

I think it's important to recognize that it can be nearly impossible to lose weight with a thyroid condition UNTIL you are properly medicated. If you are not medicated, or are not on the right dosage, it will be impossible to lose. Also, since getting on the right dosage can take some time, it can be frustrating and cause people to lose motivation if they are doing everything to the T and still not seeing a loss.

It's super important to realize it IS possible to lose weight with a thyroid condition, but I don't think that people who have trouble, or who say they can't lose are being lazy or making excuses. I think they are simply expressing the frustration they feel at being unable to make a difference in their bodies no matter what they do.

I have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and Hashimoto's for 4 years. In those 4 years I see my endocrinologist every 3 months. Every 3 months since getting diagnosed my dosage has been increased. It has taken several different doctors for me to finally find one that listens to me, understands my frustrations, and makes sure my body is working to the best of it's ability.

I know that while I was with doctors who didn't seem to care, or weren't treating me properly, I felt bad. Not only that, I was scared and frustrated that I had seemingly no control over my own body, even though I was eating properly, etc. We never know someone's circumstances. Maybe I read your post wrong, or the post below that says people are looking for excuses, but I feel like we need to be compassionate towards others and less judgmental. Understand that for some, it may BE impossible until they get the proper care, support, and motivation.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options

I think it's important to recognize that it can be nearly impossible to lose weight with a thyroid condition UNTIL you are properly medicated. If you are not medicated, or are not on the right dosage, it will be impossible to lose. Also, since getting on the right dosage can take some time, it can be frustrating and cause people to lose motivation if they are doing everything to the T and still not seeing a loss.

It's super important to realize it IS possible to lose weight with a thyroid condition, but I don't think that people who have trouble, or who say they can't lose are being lazy or making excuses. I think they are simply expressing the frustration they feel at being unable to make a difference in their bodies no matter what they do.

I'd add that it's also important for newly diagnosed people to realize that everything won't magically get better just because they now have a name to put on it. Unless you're extremely lucky, quite a bit of time will pass between getting diagnosed and starting to feel better.

I'm the queen of not being in control of my body - for over four years I struggled with hyperthyroidism that didn't respond to any treatment until I had to have my thyroid removed completely, and after that it took almost a year of tweaking the medication until we hit the right dose for me. My weight bounced between periods of being 10 kg underweight at some points during those hyper four years, to an overweight BMI during the stabilization phase after the surgery. I had no control over any of that. But I didn't sit on my butt and complain that I can't ... because I'm sick, I did my research and talked to my doctor to figure out my plan of action. You only become powerless when you start believing that you're powerless.

I do agree with the OP. It all boils down to what's in your head. Sitting on your *kitten* and blaming your weight on something else won't lose you any even without a thyroid problem. If you really want to achieve something (lose weight, in this particular case), then you have to get up and focus on what you can do instead of what you can't.