Anybody read Skinny *****? thoughts?

Options
Thoughts?

Replies

• estjames
    Options
    I have not read it in a while, but I liked it because it was what started me on my weight loss journey. I took much of it with a grain of salt though, for instance I will never be a vegetarian or vegan since I was raised on a farm, so I have meat and potato roots that I do not want to abandon. I liked that they highlighted commercial farms (lower quality meat, potential animal rights issues) because I think people need to be more aware of where there food comes from (not styrofoam packages people!). I also liked that while they advocated being a vegetarian or vegan and eating organic, they did not seem pushy, they were merely reporting what they saw as benefits of the lifestyle choice they made and were giving people information so they could decide if it was right for them.

Also, if you like at home workouts, I also have 2 of their workout DVDs which I really like.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    This was the only book that I read about nutrition and weight loss and fitness that I absolutely HAD to put down. I got about halfway through and was just so sick of the tone that I stopped reading it. The book read as though if you weren't 100% vegan and organic, then you couldn't be thin. I'm all about sticking to a healthy lifestyle, but I know that each person's journey is their own. Just because something worked for one person doesn't mean that it is what will work for everyone. Wasn't a big fan.
  • scubachic77
    scubachic77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I started SB - Bun in the Oven and I have to agree with Chelso0o, I could stand the tone of the book. Because of that I will not read any other SB books. I prefer Hungry Girl! :)
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A friend got the book for me as a gift... I read it, but agree that the condescending tone of the book and the "don't eat anything but beans and organic herbal tea" philosophy is a little much for me. I agree that veganism can be very healthy but don't think that it's the only healthy way to be. It's just not for me.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I loved the book and agree with what they say.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i did not like it either.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    one of my favourite things they said was that pop is liquid satan. haha. I can't believe people are still drinking that poison.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I kinda think the tone is funny, but don't agree that you need to be vegan to lose weight.
  • jworb
    jworb Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    one of my favourite things they said was that pop is liquid satan. haha. I can't believe people are still drinking that poison.

I do agree with that statement, tho - I quit my diet soda habit and couldn't be happier :)
  • waterwing
    waterwing Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's good if you need some tough love but yeah... after a while it got to me .. and I really don't want to be a ***** and being a vegan was turning me into one... not a skinny one.. just a sad angry one..
  • lisaloum
    Options
    I read the book. It was a really easy read, and full of useful information. The book got me thinking and inspired me to do research on a lot of the things mentioned. I don't follow all of the beliefs of SB but am vegan. I think any drastic change shouldn't be made by reading just one book, you have to find what fits best for you.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    i read it years ago - along with skinny ***** in the kitch but honestly didn't like the tone or the limited diet / eating suggestions. that and the fact as a veggie I've become intolerant to beans it's gathering dust now.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Is that skinny b****?
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options

I sooooooooo Agree!!
  • erickaincminor
    erickaincminor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm reading it right now, and I love it! Probably because I'm a college girl and need the *****y tone to keep me reading a nutrition book. And yes, veganism is not the only way to lose weight. They're pretty much just listing the best possible options, and I really like it. I'm following it as much as I can, and am excited.

Also, all of their information has a lot of citations, and they are both very knowledgable and reliable people.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm now reading If I'm So Smart, Why Can't I Lose Weight? It's mostly about intuitive eating and getting to the root of emotional eating. A little touchy-feely but I really need to learn portion control and to eat until I'm full (not stuffed) so I think it's a good one for me. It's only $5 for Kindle on Amazon.