Hard boiled egg whites without wasting yolk

Options
Egg whites is one of my staple foods, and I really like hard boiled egg white to either just eat or to make egg salad. It just seems like such a waste to throw out the yolks. I just bought one of those 'Eggies'. Boiler thingies, and have to admit its pretty awesome. The only thing I don't like is that when I first bought it, 2 out 6 cups where defective. The next package had 4 defective. However between the two, I have a good working set. I just wouldnt buy it off somewhere you can't easily return.

Just thought I would share this little gem.

Replies

• pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Give the yolks to the dog. If you have a dog. They are good for their coats.
  • fitforlife34
    fitforlife34 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    That's a problem I have been h aving too. But I started cooking like one whole egg, then adding some egg beaters to it. (because egg beaters alone ain't tasty.) That way I throw out less yolks. I also made some egg salad sandwich out of it last week, but I know yolks are high in fat and cholesterol. So maybe that wasn't a good idea.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Give the yolks to the dog. If you have a dog. They are good for their coats.

My pup loves when I eat egg whites because he always gets the yolks!
  • macx2mommy
    macx2mommy Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    No dog, closets is. Hubby who doesn't like the yolks, and the kids who don't like the yolks. That's why I just buy the cartons of egg whites.

I forgot to mention that my little set did have a lot of defects so I had to go through a cople sets to make one full one. Just thought it was good for those who are sick of throwing out the yolks.
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    There's a certain celebrity that eats 2 hard boiled eggs, whote wheat toast and yogurt everyday for breakfast.....she looks fantastic and extremely healthy.....great hair and skin! So if you watch the rest of your diet, I don't think a yolk will kill you, the protien and fat is good for your body. A whole hard boiled egg is only 78 calories!
  • alexsmith01
    alexsmith01 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There's a certain celebrity that eats 2 hard boiled eggs, whote wheat toast and yogurt everyday for breakfast.....she looks fantastic and extremely healthy.....great hair and skin! So if you watch the rest of your diet, I don't think a yolk will kill you, the protien and fat is good for your body. A whole hard boiled egg is only 78 calories!

Agreed! I love egg yolks (unless they're too runny - but that's another story) and a couple of egg yolks every couple of days isnt going to ruin my diet as long as they're within my fat and calorie limits.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options

Agreed! I love egg yolks (unless they're too runny - but that's another story) and a couple of egg yolks every couple of days isnt going to ruin my diet as long as they're within my fat and calorie limits.

She said no one in her family LIKES the yolks, so was making a helpful suggestion. Thanks for the tip!! I was wondering how they work for "hard boiled whites"
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I have a set too, and i must say I think they're more trouble than they're worth. You have to assemble, spray with nonstick, crack/seperate/pour egg in, close eggie, boil, open eggie to take the egg out then you have to wash them.

I'll just eat the yolk or toss it.

What do you do with the yolk you seperate? You said you got them not to waste the yolk, but what's your use for the raw yolk after you seperate the egg to put in the eggie?
  • marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I eat a hard boiled egg almost every morning. I love the yolk and they fit in with the rest of my day. Like was posted before its only 78 calories per egg so occasionally its not bad.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Start baking! Those egg yolks could be great in muffins cakes pies moose custard

Or you could give them to a neighbors dog or a stray creature.

There's also some home made facial masks made with egg yolks you could try :) Just google.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    The yolks are cram packed with most of the useful micronutrients in the egg. Yes they have cholesterol, but do a little research and you'll find that's not the boogeyman we once thought it was. Just eat the whole egg. It's a nature-made superfood perfect for your health.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    The yolks are cram packed with most of the useful micronutrients in the egg. Yes they have cholesterol, but do a little research and you'll find that's not the boogeyman we once thought it was. Just eat the whole egg. It's a nature-made superfood perfect for your health.

And if you don't like them poke them in muffins, bread, whole grain things, or on your face instead of in it :D
  • macx2mommy
    Options

I have a set too, and i must say I think they're more trouble than they're worth. You have to assemble, spray with nonstick, crack/seperate/pour egg in, close eggie, boil, open eggie to take the egg out then you have to wash them.

I'll just eat the yolk or toss it.

What do you do with the yolk you seperate? You said you got them not to waste the yolk, but what's your use for the raw yolk after you seperate the egg to put in the eggie?

I use the pasteurized egg whites (not egg beaters which are different, these are just pure egg whites). in a carton usually, so there is no yolk. I would make omelettes, and microwave them , but did miss hard boiled egg whites which I couldn't figure out how to boil them Neil I bought the Eggies.

I have found the Eggies to be a pain for regular whole eggs, but good for the carton egg whites, hence the no waste on the yolks. To use the eggies, I have them pre assembled after they are washed, i do a quick spray of oil, pour in the egg, and put the lid on, and into the boiling pot. To wash it, I have a little basket that I got for small baby items that goes into the dish washer, so, they are easy to clean pretty quickly.
  • Andrewcpimpin
    Andrewcpimpin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Egg folks freeze well so you can keep a container in the freezer and drop em in as you have them. Then use for adding to lean ground beef for burgers or meatloaf. Custard. Baked goods. Thickening sauces. Soups. Ect Ect.
  • macx2mommy
    Options
    This purpose of my tip was not to argue the merits of eating the yolk, but rather to give those who still llike hard boiled egg whites an alternative to throwing out the egg.

Thanks for the suggestions, and if eating your yolks works for you great, if you want, IBM sure those who don't eat the yolks could save and mail them to you. However, I do not plan to do any of the following: get a dog or any other animal to feed yolks too, as I am severely allergic, feed my neighbors pets or strays, force my family or kids to eat additional yolks. They do eat their yolks, but I think one or two is enough, eat four yolks a day, as I tend to have the equivalent of four egg whites a day, start baking muffins, cakes, or pies, as I am trying to reduce these items put of my lifestyle, make a facial mask out of them, I do not have them time, and more importantly I do not have the desire.

I understand the wonderful nutrition from eggs, and do have the occasional yolk, but cholesterol is something that I watch for my family, so alot of yolks is not what has been suggested b our dr, or dietician. The kids could use the calories, but will only eat the yolks if they are scrambled, which would still defeat my ability of having a hard boiled egg white. I actually have a lot of understanding of egg yolks, and not once have I sai they were evil. Pwever, for my lifestyle that I imagine I would know more Han anyone here, I am choosing not to eat them all the time.
  • macx2mommy
    Options
    Egg folks freeze well so you can keep a container in the freezer and drop em in as you have them. Then use for adding to lean ground beef for burgers or meatloaf. Custard. Baked goods. Thickening sauces. Soups. Ect Ect.

How do you use a hard boiled egg old to do these things. My whole tip of my post was HARD BOILED EGG WHITES. Up Until now, there was o way I knew of to seperate an egg yolk from an egg white, and then boil the white without a shell, and have it taste the same as boiling a whole egg. This was really the point of my post. I know there are hundreds of things that one can do with the yolk. Tell me how to boil only an egg white and have it taste the same.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    If you dont want to eat them and have no time to do anything with them and you dont want anyone to have extra or feed animals and they have to be boiled and you dont want to throw them out...if your not alergic to your neighbours you can give them away ;) Or compost?
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I got those eggies too... but I forgot about them. They were a Christmas gift. I have to open them and give them a try. Thanks for reminding me. :tongue:

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I don't think you need to ditch the yolk each time. I sometimes eat it and sometimes don't. There are healthy benefits to eating the yolk from time to time such as the protein. When I don't I give them to Sasha Fierce, my female doberman pinscher. Yolks are indeed great for a dog's coat.
  • cindylooi
    cindylooi Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah I agree I'm very unhappy when I have to throw out the yolks sometimes I'm making scrambled eggs or an omelette I use one yolk out of three eggs. But yeah as suggested by others you can use them in baking and other purposes as well