Sodium - someone explain to me why it is so evil....

I'm not sure I fully understand why sodium is so bad. I mean, I know salt in bad for you in general but what is the impact of it on weight loss?

Can anyone educate me?

Replies

• amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    sodium causes water retention. causing you to hold water, can lead to swelling of the abs and for each litre of water you retain you gain a kg (2lbs).
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Sodium affects heart rate and therefore blood pressure. Those with high blood pressure need to be very careful about too much sodium (and US and UK dietary recommendations is that we ALL pay attention to sodium intake).

As Amyy902 mentions increased sodium can lead to water retention which may temporarily appear to reduce weight loss, but after normal eating resumes excess fluids will naturally be removed.

The main source of dietary sodium is salt, either added by you or in the case of processed foods added during preparation/manufacture. It is not just savory foods that contain salt, some sweet dishes contains significant quantities.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    I'm not sure I fully understand why sodium is so bad. I mean, I know salt in bad for you in general but what is the impact of it on weight loss?

Can anyone educate me?
    It's not bad. Research sodium and effects on athletes. For anyone working out regularly, the RDA off sodium is way too low. One indication of low sodium is sweat that stings your eyes.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    I have low blood pressure so I'm not too concerned there, I'm also not bothered too much about water weight. OK, fab - thanks.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Sodium is definitely not an all-out evil thing.

You are better off talking with your doctor(s) about how much is too much for you as an individual.

There are patients out there, unfortunately with systems that are hypersensitive to sodium to begin with. There are even prescription medications that require you to ease up on sodium intake as well.

There are too many parameters that put sodium in a bad or good spot.

Thankfully sodium doesnt bother me but I dont use it like others would. The only time I HAVE to is when Im doing my baking - salt has a scientific chemistry involved with everything in the baking world and there is just no getting around not using it.

When it comes to creating dishes (I spent a good 14 years as a chef in one of my full time jobs), I use very little kosher salt. I believe people should season their own dishes to be honest.

And in final - people taking blood pressure control medications: they are not all taking that med because of salt. I personally have family history of high blood pressure and unfortunately they were 'nice' enough to 'share the love'... but, Im hoping by the time I reach my first milestone of 200#, that will be the second medication I get to take off my list.
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    It's not bad. Research sodium and effects on athletes. For anyone working out regularly, the RDA off sodium is way too low. One indication of low sodium is sweat that stings your eyes.
    That is interesting! I suffer with low sodium levels despite eating a good amount of salt and my sweat always stings my eyes. That is quite intriguing. I'd love to see some links to research on this if you have any.

I totally agree that sodium is not evil. Sodium is essential. Too much sodium is harmful. Stick to recommended amounts for you lifestyle and activity levels and adjust if necessary depending on your daily water intake and you will be fine.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    For anyone working out regularly, the RDA off sodium is way too low. One indication of low sodium is sweat that stings your eyes.

I've been told on several occasions that long distance athletes almost always are under the sodium intake they need. But I've NEVER heard that stinging sweat reflects low sodium. Is there any place you can send an interested (if not at least a little skeptical) MFP'er to become more enlightened on this phenomenon?
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member

Can anyone educate me?
    Actually, without it, you'd die....:huh:

And like all good, healthy things, too much sodium causes issues with our bodies.
    Too much sodium can cause your body hold more water which raises blood pressure and puts additional strain on your kidneys, arteries, heart and brain.

All things in moderation - even the very good things like sodium.
    My intake must have been 6000 mg per day - now it's about half that.
    I don't much bother with monitoring it; however, I do not salt my foods or eat things loaded with salt.
  • bigdiddyjim
    bigdiddyjim Posts: 5 Member
    Definitely talk to your doctor, because your metabolism is different than mine, so anything that I say is certainly subjective and pertains to my system. Sodium unto itself is necessary for the body to develop that electric spark that fires between neurons in your brain, and it is also necessary for proper nutrition, as it binds with other agents in the body to produce metabolic compounds. Sodium is a good metal.

That being said, too much of a good thing is not a good thing. The average American eats WAY too much sodium in their diet. How many of us are locked into that crazy habit of salting our food before we taste it? There is no point adding something if it is not needed. Too much salt desensitizes the taste buds, and therefore takes away your ability to truly taste food. It took me about 4 months of dropping down to 1500mg of sodium per day, and ONLY salting food after tasting, before my tongue adjusted to the point of actually tasting the individual nuances of flavor. That, in itself is enough for me to reduce my sodium intake, because I love food!! I will always love food, but now I can appreciate it more.

Enjoy!!

Jim
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Sodium is fine in a healthy body to pretty large amounts. If anyone would like to show me some FACTS showing it is bad, then I'd like to see it.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    For anyone working out regularly, the RDA off sodium is way too low. One indication of low sodium is sweat that stings your eyes.

I've been told on several occasions that long distance athletes almost always are under the sodium intake they need. But I've NEVER heard that stinging sweat reflects low sodium. Is there any place you can send an interested (if not at least a little skeptical) MFP'er to become more enlightened on this phenomenon?
    http://www.runningplanet.com/training/salty-sweater.html
    http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/sodium_your_secret_weapon
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,247 Member
    A minimum of 500mg of salt is recommended daily.

Less than this on a regular basis and the bodies electrolytes will be all over the shop.

If salt is not added to food, it is unlikely that a person's sodium level would go over the recommended 2500mg maximum daily amount.
  • Smuterella
    I don't even own salt! I'm probably OK then. :-)
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Salt IS NOT BAD! SALT IS NOT BAD, SALT IS NOT BAD. TOO much salt is what is bad for health reasons such as high blood pressure. But for weight loss people say water retention. It's not so much the sodium levels themselves it's the foods that pack that high sodium intake that's probably laced with high amounts of calories and lack real nutritional value as well

I don't mind the sodium in my turkey or salmon

I did mind the sodium in say like a McDonalds meal
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member

Can anyone educate me?

Interesting...this is what happens to me and I add lots of salt because of low BP and working out hard and long... guess it's still not enough!
  • Smuterella
    thanks all - i only asked as I've seen it mentioned like some kind of magic formula when people say they aren't losing "i bet you are over your sodium" "why aren't you tracking sodium!!!" but i just couldn't see how it would affect anything other than water retention and blood pressure.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    See this - http://youtu.be/y1RXvBveht0?t=34m4s

Explains a little bit about the rubbish said about salt :wink: