Pushing a stroller while walking

Options
Chops
Chops Posts: 7 Member
My son weighs 34 lbs. and his stroller is probably at least 6 or 7 pounds. So, when I take him for walks, it's like pushing 40 lbs. around the block. Do you think I'm burning more calories than if I were just taking a walk by myself? Or, do you think having the stroller makes it easier. Thoughts???

Replies

• nhoffman08
    nhoffman08 Posts: 28
    Options
    You do burn more if you are walking at a good pace, you are working harder. I push a 4 kid stroller that probably weighs 30 lbs, with 4 kids...2 three yr olds and 2 1 1/2 yr olds. This is easily over 90 lbs. It's a hard walk, but very gratifying! Makes you feel good. In fact, this is how I started on my weight loss after my daughter was born. I lost about 15 lbs just pushing the kids in a stroller to the park and back.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    The only person it makes the walk easier for is your son. :laugh:

You are burning more calories than walking alone. I do the same thing, but other times I walk alone. You can feel the difference in your body, so you know you are burning more or less. I NEVER try to figure the calorie difference and just take what extra might be burned as bonus calories burned.
  • mumsanutter
    mumsanutter Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, but then I don't put in tany extra calories I just use the ones from the pushing with a stroller setting - allows a little extra calories :flowerforyou:
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    YES!! i've worn my heart rate monitor walking with, and without pushing my 30+ lb toddler in the stroller. the stroller gets my heart rate up faster and higher and i burn way more calories. for a 3 mile walk, i usually burn about 500 calories. i think it was about half that without pushing it.
  • Chops
    Chops Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses - I'm off to take my son for another walk!!!