what do you do when you cycle to work and your sweating?

Options
Im thinking about starting to cycle to work, but i dont want to smell when i get there because i am unfit and will sweat alot on the way. what do you do when you turn up to work and you have been sweating?

Replies

• melpix123
    melpix123 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    a lot of workplaces have showers and changerooms
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    a lot of workplaces have showers and changerooms

and a lot of workplaces don't
  • LisaLashesxx
    LisaLashesxx Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    take baby wipes, change of clothes and deoderant spray, aftershave. x
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I had a job I cycled to work, there were no showers but I just put on a change of clothes, made sure my hair was out of my face and just had a quick wash, it worked well enough.
  • penelepurr
    penelepurr Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I biked to a job occasionally but there was a gym (of which I was a member) close enough that I could leave my bike at work and walk over for a shower. The baby wipes sound like a good idea; also, you could just take a walk around the block or something when you get there, to let your body temp get back down.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky enough to have showers at work, but if you don't ride in exercise/riding gear and change in to fresh clothes, have a quick wash - baby wipes is a great idea! Try to start your ride dressed so you feel a little cold as you'll warm up really quick, get decent gloves
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    make sure you take a face towel and some water as well
  • myuva
    myuva Posts: 67
    Options
    Take a *kitten* bath !!!!
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Babywashtissues, deodorant and change clothes, and plan to be at work some ten to fifteen minutes earlier, calm down, and then go change yourself, else you will justt sweat the change clothes as well.
  • hkulbacki
    hkulbacki Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    take baby wipes, change of clothes and deoderant spray, aftershave. x

This plus a small towel to dry off with and some baby powder. I often run at lunch time and that's what I use.
  • emmaonamission
    Options
    Leave extra early, have some cool down time at the end of your ride and take a change of clothes, baby wipes and deodorant and duck into the toilets to change. I used to walk the 3 miles to work and I would get so sweaty and my face would get so red so I had to leave way earlier than I should've just so I could calm down and so that my face would get back to normal! I'd wear my workout gear and take my uniform in a bag (and then put my sweaty workout gear into that bag once I had my uniform on) and I'd do my hair and make up in the toilets. Don't let the sweatiness put you off ;)
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Spare shirt and even underwear. Sorry but honestly its the areas you'll sweat. Get some deo, wet wipes and maybe some powder to keep at work. You can do a quick clean off in a bathroom with the wet wipes, powder on and then a deo over the top and all fresh again. Thats if no shower avail. All can go in a back pack and or stay at work ready for use. Hope it goes well for you. Dont want to be smelly for the day but want to nab the chance for fitness and fuel free transport. Thats a good thing. They both are. Cheers. Have fun!
  • stormtrooper73
    Options
    i cycle to work everyday... i keep my work clothes at work and use a 24hr underarm spray..along with that just get some baby wipes for a quick freshen up...the fitter you get the less you will sweat as your body gets used to your journey..however...this is also a good sign to up your exercise untill you do sweat ..good luck and all the best....stormy
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about starting to cycle to work, but i dont want to smell when i get there because i am unfit and will sweat alot on the way. what do you do when you turn up to work and you have been sweating?
    I would do it knowing I'd need a way to wash up and groom once on the job.

Go for it!
  • bpurc22
    bpurc22 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "Jersey Shower" (anyone watch jersey shore? lol)

I would bring a medium-sized towel, change of clothes, deodorant, and deodorant spray. Make sure you have a change in socks and underwear as well. You should be fine...the new clothes and deodorant will make you feel fine and the spray will make you smell fine.
  • vweavers
    Options
    In addition to all the above ideas, how about getting in a little better cardio shape BEFORE starting this? Ride your bike after work for a while until you can ride that distance without being winded. Then, when you do start- leave with enough time so that you don't have to huff it to get to work. You burn nearly as much calories at 8mph as you do at 10mph.
    Also, if you still perspire, wear some of the new fabrics that wick the perspiration away from your body. Don't dress so heavily that your clothes make you sweat more. Better to start out your ride feeling cold, but warming up to a comfortable level, than to start out comfortable, but ending up hot and soaked. (or you can always start out with a jacket or pullover and take it off after a mile or so)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to have showers!
    but when I didn't I kept baby wipes, dry shampoo, moisturizer and then change at work and It was fine
    ( i asked work mates to let me know! )
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    Before I moved out of biking range of my job, I used to bike there and they had no showers. I brought a change of clothes, a washcloth... freshened up a bit, put on deodorant and a change of clothes. It worked out great. It has to be a full change, socks and all.. but was well worth it
  • kototo
    kototo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Take a *kitten* bath !!!!

Love it! LOL!
  • RealSteveEB
    Options
    When I first started cycling to work I was exactly the same as you, sweating profusely and stinking when I turned up at work. I brought wetwipes, towels and changes of clothes in my backpack and had a cleanup in the toilet cubicle before going to my desk. But I eventually realised that I was spending 5-10 minutes freshening up so what I actually did was go slower on the bike so that my journey was 5-10 minutes longer. I didn't sweat anywhere near as much so didn't need to freshen up and surprisingly doesn't burn that many less calories. Additionally I bought a merino wool cycle top that is wicking, quick drying and does not hold a smell. Even on quite cold days that's all I need to wear on my top. My backpack is lighter now too so no more sweaty back.