Going on my first cruise. Need some advice/suggestions.

Options
Hey all!

My brother is getting married in March, and to celebrate we are going on a Carnival cruise to the Bahamas (Freeport, Nassau). I've never been on a cruise before, so I'd like to know if any mfp'ers have been on a cruise and what kind of suggestions for activities you would have.

The dates are March 4 to 8. I know we are planning on going snorkeling, but other than that...

Any suggestions??

Replies

• lrbarr
    lrbarr Posts: 60
    Options
    Just saw your post today... if you like the beach- Blue Lagoon is great, Sand Dollar Catamaran is wonderful and just keep in mind you can get a better deal if you book excusions on your own. The Bahamas are pretty safe to book your own! We will also be on this cruise... just look for the family with all the teenage girls and a crazy mother-in-law! :flowerforyou: Hope you have a great trip!
    Oh... book something in Freeport, there is nothing to do at the port.
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I've been on a few cruises. I love the message boards on cruisecritic.com. Lots of great information on there! You will absolutely love cruising...it's very addicting! :heart: Carnival always has actitivies going on so you'll never get bored! Our next cruise is the first week of July and that's not soon enough! :bigsmile: Whatever you do, make sure you take either your passport or a certified birth certificate with your drivers license--or else they won't let you get on the ship!

As for Freeport--I've never been to that particular port, so I can't say anything about it.
  • Jeniroosen1
    Options
    We just got off the Carnival Destiny seven days ago. It was my second cruise. My first cruise six years ago was fantastic. This one.... not so much.

Good luck finding any lean protein or whole grains anywhere. It was frustrating seeing all the 24 hour buffets loaded with cheeseburgers, pizza, coney dogs, fried chicken, etc. Breakfast was either room service or main dining room (MDR). Cantaloupe and Honeydew were rubbery and the strawberries were one day away from being moldy. The egg white omelet that I ordered in the main dining room was saturated in oil. Chicken breasts in the MDR were dry.

The 24 hour salad bar had a couple veggies on it but didn't have any chicken, soy or other lean protein.

I guess what I'm saying is do NOT think you can eat healthy easily.

I'm a mountain bike endurance racer (12 and 24 hour solos) and it's my off part of my season so I'm really on calorie restriction since I'm not racing. It was frustrating trying to eat healthy. I finally gave up and just ate frozen yogurt every day and said F-it!

Everyone I've talked to said that I was ridiculous for trying to stick to a healthy diet on a cruise and maybe they're right.

Kristen49286 is correct. Cruisecritic.com is a wealth of information. They'll show you how to smuggle on your own alcohol so you don't have a $1000 liquor bill, tell you where all the secret doors are and all the other inside secrets in addition to the best excursions to do.

Have fun but remember DON'T calorie count!!!!
  • MrzMensy
    Options
    Does my fitness pal work on the cruise ship? I was looking forward to this trip but now not so much, my husband can't go on it and it's going to be my 30th birthday. If my fitness pal doesn't work I am going to be so upset. :/ I don't want to gain any weight I lost, it would be a complete waste. If anything Ill just do Atkins style type.