Work out suggestions for single sahm/wahm

Options
I was wondering if anyone could suggest some good workouts I can fit in short intervals. I can only really work out while DD is napping, so I've been doing 10 minutes here, 15 - 20 minutes there, but I don't feel like I am getting a decent work out (although all the running up and down the stairs, sometimes with a 22lbs baby has got to be doing something!). I try to take her on a walk with me everyday, but on snowy/slippery days like its been here for the past few days, I feel like I am really missing out. I haven't really worked out in so long and I regret it, so I really want to do all that I can now.

Sorry if this isn't 100% cohesive!

Replies

• qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Circuit/interval training would be the way to go, to maximize calories burned in short time.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is 20 minutes + warm up and cool down. She also has No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat Boost Metabolism. Those 2 dvds are 42 minutes long + warm up and cool down. HOWEVER, there are 7 circuits on those dvds and they are each about 6 minutes long---so you can choose however many you want to do.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred. 27 mins from warm up to cool down! That is what I do and am 5 days away from being done and have seen awesome results! :)
  • ThisisMiss
    ThisisMiss Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has the 30 day shred, so I might ask to borrow hers! Thanks!

qtiekiki - any suggestions for interval training for someone who doesn't have many weights or anything around? I've seen a couple of interval training exercises On Demand, I might give those a try for now
  • VeggieKelli
    VeggieKelli Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Intervals I like to do are jumping jacks, planks, bicycle sit-ups, squats, wall-sits, mountain climbers, leg lifts, etc. Cardio-wise you can always run in place or jump rope. Or look on youtube, there's a lot of great short workout videos on there!
  • kbrogan78
    kbrogan78 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    When I can't make it to the gym, I workout at home after my daughter goes to bed. Working out at night isn't ideal, but it's the only way I would get it in. DVDs like Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred are great- 20 minutes but a good calorie burn. Yogadownload.com has LOTS of yoga workouts- many of which have a 20 minute free version in addition to longer classes for which you pay a small amount to download. I work from home, at night, so I can't take too much time away and thus the short workouts.

I'd also like to put in a plug for joining a gym, if that's financially an option for you. I'm a single SAHM/WAHM mom and some days the only thing that keeps me sane is being able to drop my daughter at the gym's childcare and really sweat my stress out for an hour. It's good for both of us. :)
  • TaraMKL
    TaraMKL Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Ten Minute Trainer is GREAT. Tony Horton (the P90X guy) takes you through a great workout. Let me know if you want more info about that because it's awesome!

I've also put on my ipod and run up/down my stairs for 10-15 minutes, done some pushups, planks, situps, jumping jacks, mountain climbers, etc. Do what you can do! :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Intervals I like to do are jumping jacks, planks, bicycle sit-ups, squats, wall-sits, mountain climbers, leg lifts, etc. Cardio-wise you can always run in place or jump rope. Or look on youtube, there's a lot of great short workout videos on there!

^Those, but would like to add in lunges, burpees and push ups. You either do a set numbers of the exercises or set a timer and do as many of each exercises you can in 50 seconds with 10 seconds break in between exercises. As you get into better shape, you can make the exercises more explosive and harder, like squat jumps instead of squats, switch lunges instead of lunges, raised push ups, etc. Your body weight shall be enough in the beginning. You can add weights when you start feeling like the exercises are too easy.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've lost 30 lbs by doing videos. I get most of mine from the library, renting them for about 3 weeks at a time. If I really like them I buy them. Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred is a killer 27 minute workout. No More Trouble Zones is broken down into several different circuits so you can choose to do one or two a day. I would also suggest kettlebells. I do about 8 different moves (still learning) in a couple of sets and that takes about 20 minutes. Youtube has lots of videos as well and I often find that magazine workouts are often quick little things (crunches, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, etc). Look up Women's Health and Fitness magazines online and maybe you can find some quick routines in there. As far as cardio, stair stepping and jump ropes are easy exercises to do at home.
  • dreambig81
    dreambig81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Im a sahm of 2 and also cant get to a gym, I use my wii but am keen to try to 30 day shred as it seems rather popular on here with great results :)