Spike day help!!

Options
I saw a lot of you talking about spike days so I thought I would give it a try. Last Sunday I did not exercise and ate around 3,000 calories. I went to weigh in yesterday and I did not loose anything at all. What did I do wrong? Any thought on this are greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TeddyBear47
    TeddyBear47 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Spike day doesn't mean you don't exercise. Actually during that time you should probably exercise more. The spike day is just to rev up your metabolism. If I overeat I try to over exercise too.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I saw a lot of you talking about spike days so I thought I would give it a try. Last Sunday I did not exercise and ate around 3,000 calories. I went to weigh in yesterday and I did not loose anything at all. What did I do wrong? Any thought on this are greatly appreciated.

You are right to NOT exercise on spike day. You need to take that day and rest. Your best day of exercise will be the day after the spike. Also, you usually pick up a couple of pounds the day after a spike and you will lose that along with more before the following weigh in (one week later). Hang in there and watch over the next few days and see what happens.
  • krystinaarlene
    krystinaarlene Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic picture keeponkickin!!
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For one, how many calories do you normally eat? 3,000 may be way too much.

But even if it is too much, that's may not matter just yet. It may take more time for your body to react. This was just one week.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    It's not just as simple as eating an excess of food one day out of the week and losing weight.

It can be set up a few different ways but for me it looks like this.

Monday - Friday 2000 cals
    Saturday 3500 cals
    Sunday 4500 cals

I average about 3100 (no exercise) - 4000 (exercise) calories burned in a day, so as you can see, I am in a large deficit throughout the week. I eat 18000 calories in a week, which if you divide that by 7, works out to a 500+ calorie deficit.
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options

You are right to NOT exercise on spike day. You need to take that day and rest. Your best day of exercise will be the day after the spike. Also, you usually pick up a couple of pounds the day after a spike and you will lose that along with more before the following weigh in (one week later). Hang in there and watch over the next few days and see what happens.

Sunday is my spike day and I take it as a day of rest as well. I only go over my daily by about 500 to 600 calories, so still under 2000. I have noticed that the next days work out is excellent and I feel strong. Usually the day before my spike day I struggle through my work out like I'm running out of fuel. I then drop a few pounds. Good luck and maybe try not so many calories.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Be careful not to wipe out your week's deficit on spike day.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    It's not just as simple as eating an excess of food one day out of the week and losing weight.

^^THIS^^

Mine is about like this. I'm at a deficit when you total the week. For me it breaks down as follows: I eat just below bmr for 6 days a week. This is 1450 a day. Then on spike day I eat double my bmr, so about 2800 to 3000 calories. I eat higher protein and lower carb 6 days a week and spike day I eat whatever I want and eat higher carb. So far it works brilliantly.
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options

X2
  • fishndad
    fishndad Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This happened to me the first time I tried it. Had the same question, but you really should rest also. It will come off again if you're true to your original program
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    spike was my fav character on buffy
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bump

Going to calculate my BMR again and try to figure this out. So basically eat slightly below BMR all week then double that number on the spike day?
  • Motivationrequired
    Options
    Does this really work??? I'm finding it SO hard at the moment as I always end up bingeing on a sunday (its my rest day from the gym too)....any advice I'd so appreciate as I just can't shift the weight
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    spike was my fav character on buffy

THIS THIS THIS! That's why I came to this thread, I thought it was about a day of Spike. Imagine my sadness when it wasn't. :(
  • peachNpunkin
    peachNpunkin Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    It's an interesting theory. I might try it.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Wow, fantastic picture keeponkickin!!

agree, brilliant photo
  • elfo
    elfo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Can someone just quickly define what "spike day" entails?
  • hannata86
    Options
    Bump

Going to calculate my BMR again and try to figure this out. So basically eat slightly below BMR all week then double that number on the spike day?

Have you read the book? Your low days should be BMR - 500. High days for exercise should be your BMR, and spikes x2 BMR. (make sure you can justify having the High days with enough exercise, and it should be weight training too)

But the above is a GUIDELINE. You do have to tot up what you have planned to eat cals wise, (based on the above)

maintenance = (BMR *1.2) *7. You need to be looking at 3500 less than the maintenance to get a loss.

If it works out at too small a deficit you need to tweak it. Just make sure your spike is at least 1.5x BMR and your low days are no less than 1200 net.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I decreased my spike day this week to 2500 calories and am trying to drink way more water. I love mfp great people all after the same thing. Your all wonderful.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Bump

Have you read the book? Your low days should be BMR - 500. High days for exercise should be your BMR, and spikes x2 BMR. (make sure you can justify having the High days with enough exercise, and it should be weight training too)

But the above is a GUIDELINE. You do have to tot up what you have planned to eat cals wise, (based on the above)

maintenance = (BMR *1.2) *7. You need to be looking at 3500 less than the maintenance to get a loss.

If it works out at too small a deficit you need to tweak it. Just make sure your spike is at least 1.5x BMR and your low days are no less than 1200 net.

I've got to read another book?? Lol.

This info should get me started, thanks!