Do I have to rest next day after my regular runs?

Options
How can I incorporate one more run day into my three times a week runs and still include recommended off days for rest?

My long runs are on Saturdays. It appears that running on Friday is out of question because it would be just the day before my long run.

I used to run six time a week but after reading recommendation to take days off from running for rest I ended up with three times a week schedule.

Do I have to rest next day after my regular runs? I just increased regular runs to 3 miles

Replies

• arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Of course you run two days in a row. Just listen to your body. I run 6-7 day a week (50-60 miles per week). I recover from running by running (easy).

ETA: I go out of my way to run the day before my long runs, as I always want to practice running on tired legs.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding to my post.

I learned that obviously I misunderstood the need to rest after runs concept.

Thank you for opening my eyes and clarifying this issue for me.
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The day after your long run you could do a slow recovery run to run out the kinks. Also, you could cross train with cycling or swimming or something else.
  • Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Run run run....doesn't seem to bother animals...ha ha could you imagine back in the old days if they could only ride a horse every second day? OK I know we are not horses. Just a thought.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    The only day mandatory for me to rest is day after long runs, especially now that im training for a half marathon. My long runs are now 20k. I run 5days a week. But then again im a slow, lazy runner.

I do think you can add a day or 2days of running to your schedule, if you can. Or you can cross train. Swim, walk, cycle or do some yoga.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week. Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday and Saturday/Sunday. Wednesday is my mid-week middle distance run, 10-15 miles. Saturday and Sunday are my back to back long runs, 25 - 40 miles combined across both days depending on where I am in my training.

I like and need my two rest days. Some people can run every single day. Some can only run a couple times a week. There are a billion ways to configure a running schedule. Everyone is different in what their bodies can tolerate or what their goals are.

So, yeah, you don't have to rest the next day after a run.
  • BJRW
    BJRW Posts: 7
    Options
    The textbooks tell us that we should have a rest day before and after our long runs and not do more than 2 mid week workouts back to back. Example - my schedule this week is 40 mins Mon & Wed, 25 mins Thursday and 9 miles on Sat. Sun, Tues & Fri are rest days from running but perfect for cross training. Based on Jeff Galloway's method.

The problem with this is none of us are text books <G> I stick to my Coach's plan pretty much but I fine tune it for what my body tells me it needs - is my ankle/knee up to more time/miles. Do I need to cut back due to an injury that is threatening? Everyone it different and our training plans will be different - so I am of the belief that we need to listen to our bodies as it will always tell us when we can push and when we need to back off.

Running shouldn't HURT - I mean truly hurt not the tweaks and twinges of discomfort we get while out there. But the ones that make you think you'll need medication or a car to pick you up...
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It depends on how fit you are. The fitter you become, the more often you can run and still recover and improve.

Right now I run six days a week with two a day runs on four days. In the past I tried a similar schedule and it ground me into total exhaustion. But with more training what was impossible before is now possible. Also, sometimes you will be tired. Just run a little easier until you feel better again. However, if your runs are off for more than around three days in a row it may be time for a day or two off.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It seems like the longer a person has been running & the more they run, the less rest they need,

It also depends on your intensity. Trying to do many hard runs consecutively is going to be tough, but easy runs in a row, or after hard runs don't seem to be an issue for most. Especially if you have a decent base
  • brookeg20
    Options
    My long run is Saturday as well, and I usually take the next day off. If I do something, it's cross training. I do typically run a couple days back to back during the week, and my short runs are usually around 3 miles.

Just be careful. Overtraining can lead to injury, which leads to less running in the long run. I recently developed achilles tendonitis after I picked up mileage too quickly, and I had to significantly cut back on my running. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... listen to your body.

The harder you push yourself (faster pace and/or longer distances) the more likely you'll need rest. There's no reason you can do pace runs Mon-Thur, rest Fri, long run Sat, rest sun.

Your body/performance will tell you when you're over doing it.