I need some advice please...

Options
I just started going back to the gym after a 5 month break. (I actually got kicked out for fainting... no, that's not a typo.) I got my all clear letter from the doc and I'm back. But it's always in the back of mind that I might faint again.

We never did entirely work out what caused me to faint but they did establish that my heart is perfectly healthy. I think, and keeping in mind I'm no doctor, that it might be to do with the heat since it happened most on very hot days. So I'm always very conscious of how hot I am when I'm working out.

I'm not looking for a medical diagnosis. My main issue is that I really want to do well but I keep holding back, even though I know I can do better. But I am terrified that I might faint again, because I know that if I do, the gym won't allow me back at all and that would be the worst thing imaginable.

I put on a whole stone while I was away from the gym and I love going and I find it is the only thing that has really ever worked for me exercise wise so I can't not go. I just get so frustrated with myself because I know I can do better when I'm there but I'm just so afraid of fainting again. So what I'm asking really is, does anyone know how I can burn lots of calories without pushing myself too hard that I get so hot and faint?

I drink lots of freezing liquid, I have the fan on and the door is always open so I get lots of air. I always eat enough. So what more can I do short of stuffing frozen peas down my joggies? Thanks. x

Replies

• zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Besides the heat, were there any other signs you were about to faint? Did you feel a certain way - i.e. dizzy or anything?

If so, you could work out as you normally would but keep a careful eye out for these things. If you looked a certain way (paler, for example, or shaky), bring a friend to the gym and have them pay close attention to you, watching for signs that you might faint again. That way, you can relax more and do your best but be able to rest if you are showing warning signs.

If you do get kicked out of the gym for some reason, is there another gym facility you can go to?
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Besides the heat, were there any other signs you were about to faint? Did you feel a certain way - i.e. dizzy or anything?

If so, you could work out as you normally would but keep a careful eye out for these things. If you looked a certain way (paler, for example, or shaky), bring a friend to the gym and have them pay close attention to you, watching for signs that you might faint again. That way, you can relax more and do your best but be able to rest if you are showing warning signs.

If you do get kicked out of the gym for some reason, is there another gym facility you can go to?

Thanks for replying. It comes on pretty quickly so by the time symptoms start, I'm already on my way to fainting, unfortunately. My mum comes with me and watches my colour so I don't get too red but sometimes that's unavoidable.

There are other gyms in the area but none I can afford unfortunately.

Thanks again for your reply.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Go back in your diary to the time period and see if anything looks off, was your Iron too low maybe?
  • ISTAYRIPPED
    Options
    Does your gym have a pool?
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I would agree with looking at your food diaries when that happened. Maybe your blood sugar was too low? That's usually the cause when people faint after donating blood.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    If you're maintaining a calorie deficit then you should still lose weight even with very mild and pleasant gym sessions. Maybe just take it easy for a while. Half hour walk on a treadmill. Fifteen minutes light activity on an elliptical. Some mild lifting... it's all work, all calorie burning.

Also, eat some carbs an hour before working out... just to make sure the fainting isn't being caused by low blood sugar.
  • livi_cowgirl
    Options
    Thank you everyone who has replied so far.

It's not low blood sugar, that was the first thing they checked at the hospital.

And I always eat before I go. I get plenty of protein since I eat lots of chicken and I eat plenty of carbs since I haven't yet been able to give up bread. I take multi-vitamins which include iron.

There is a pool but I can't use it until I get over my dreaded fear of water - which I fully intend to do, once I get myself to a state where I don't scare everyone away at the sight of my in a bathing suit.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I know if I don't and I work out hard, I can get dizzy.
  • livi_cowgirl
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? I know if I don't and I work out hard, I can get dizzy.

Yes, I drink lots.
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    personally I like to swim, you do stay alot cooler, and it is a great workout. The downfall is fainting in the water would not be good. You would definatly want to go only when there are lifeguards on duty. I would still take your mother as well. The YMCA where I am at has water arobics and there are lifeguards there when they excercise. Maybe try that, Good Luck
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    So there are no other symptoms to report? I used to have this issue, but I'd prefer not to give you bad medical advice if our situations are not similar. I understand that the fainting comes on quickly, and that when you come to you are probably not in the best state of mind to remember what happened prior, but if you think back is there anything that you remember from just before you faint?
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but perhaps drink cold but NOT freezing water. There is something called a vagus nerve that can be effected by the icey water shooting down a heated up body. The result can be fainting. Some people even have to drink their water room tem but that might make you nauseated. I'd start with just making it cool instead of icey. Also maybe do a set, then cool off in the pool if they have one. Or do a set then a cool down stretch then another set.
  • Vandurme1
    Options
    What were you doing when you fainted? Sometimes besides the things that have already been mentioned ie: dehydration, hypoglycemia, not getting enough calories or protein other things that can happen are a vagal response..lifting weights can cause a response like this stimulating your vagus nerve can cause a quick drop in heart rate that quickly resolves but in the meantime can leave you on the floor...something else is called postural or orthostatic hypotension which is when you stand up quickly can cause a drop in blood pressure and you can pass out from that...the usual culprit for that is dehydration. I agree with what has already been stated, make sure you bring someone with you, eat enough calories, drink more water when you are going to the gym and especially before going. Also make sure if you are lifting weights that you are not lifting an amount that is too heavy for you and if you are changing positions do so slowly :) good luck!
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Are you working out too hard? There is a progression that you should follow. Maybe you could get a trainer so that a trained professional can guide you for a couple of weeks. Then if you pass out with a trained professional you could blame the gym (then they can never kick you out)
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I just read that you are afraid of water. I completely get that trust me. But maybe try my other suggestions. I am a fainter too, but I have a bad heart, so our situations aren't the same. I would really look into the vagal response, though. Taking the temp of your drink up a bit is a safe harmless thing to at least give a try.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    Are you working out too hard? There is a progression that you should follow. Maybe you could get a trainer so that a trained professional can guide you for a couple of weeks. Then if you pass out with a trained professional you could blame the gym (then they can never kick you out)
    love this
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate may have spiked, which could have caused you to faint, as well. I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions. Find out what your target heart rate is and try not to go past the maximum. Most gym equipment has a built in HR monitor...use it. Might be a good idea to invest in personal HR monitor to wear when you're not using gym machines.

Electrolyte imbalances and dehydration can also cause weakness/fainting spells. Staying hydrated during workouts is important.

If your gym has a pool, swimming laps and water aerobics classes are effective calorie burners, but you're in the water the whole time so there is less risk of overheating. You can still get dehydrated, though, so don't be tempted to not drink any water just because you're IN the water.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Someone above said this - but realize that diet will be the real key to your weight loss. While the workouts certainly supplement (and allow for less muscle loss with the fat loss), realize that diet is going to be very important for you.

as jcstanton mentioned, are you wearing a HRM? If so, you could easily monitor it to keep it in a lower range. You will not burn calories as quickly, and may not see "expedited results"... but you would probably feel much safer
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Your heart rate may have spiked, which could have caused you to faint, as well. I've had that happen to me on a couple of occasions. Find out what your target heart rate is and try not to go past the maximum. Most gym equipment has a built in HR monitor...use it. Might be a good idea to invest in personal HR monitor to wear when you're not using gym machines.

Electrolyte imbalances and dehydration can also cause weakness/fainting spells. Staying hydrated during workouts is important.

If your gym has a pool, swimming laps and water aerobics classes are effective calorie burners, but you're in the water the whole time so there is less risk of overheating. You can still get dehydrated, though, so don't be tempted to not drink any water just because you're IN the water.

Sorry, just realized I reapeated some of the things other posters have already said. I was too lazy to read the whole thread before I posted my comment. :embarassed: :ohwell:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water DURING your workout? You can lose a lot of water. I keep a bottle with me and just sip every couple of minutes to ensure I'm staying hydrated properly. Otherwise, I have no idea!

*Edit: Actually, just had another thought. Make sure you aren't locking your joints. If you tend to walk stiff legged, this can cause the blood to pool around your feet and hence fainting. Make sure you keep your joints loose and unlocked.