Sugar!!! How much is too much?

Options
Hello! Recently I've been thinking, since I'm so used to my calorie level now, I would start focusing on the nutritional contents of my food, like protein, carbs etc. Once I looked at the sugar amount my mind was blown! I'm constantly far, far above what MFP says I should be eating of sugar and its really disheartening because however much I try to eat healthy, its still in the red by a lot!

So what I'm wondering is, does anybody else have the same problem? How do you limit sugar? And is going over on sugar really that big of a deal anyway?

Thanks for all replies!

Replies

• clairy1982
    clairy1982 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hey there,
    I have the same problem! I'm only allowed 28g of sugar a day and that goes pretty quickly if I eat fruit! Sometimes my profile allows for 42g for no reason whatsoever. I have no idea how to keep within the sugar range but I figure if I'm eating healthy sugars, like in banana's and apples then I should be ok. Are you still losing?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what is too much but I try to avoid any sugar that isn't naturally occurring. I have some type II diabetics in my family so I'm a little afraid of ending up there one day.
  • HeealthyMee
    HeealthyMee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I noticed this same thing with my diary over the last few days! I've been eating so healthy and still go over. Today especially has me frustrated because I've had my 1/2 banana, 1/2 grapefruit and maybe too many carrots (but they're carrots - hello!) and I'm OVER! I suppose I could eat less sugary fruits and veggies. It just doesn't make sense and I can feel your pain with this question. Hopefully someone can help us out.
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Sugar, no matter what the source, can cause a spike in blood sugar which can result in hunger and sweet cravings a few hours later. It helps slow the digestion to eat protein, fiber or fat with your sugar source. Sugar from fruit (other than juices), and from veggies should cause less of a spike than simple sugars because there is fiber intake with the sugar. A little peanut butter with your apple helps. This is my understanding from following the South Beach plan.