HRM and Activity Tracker in one? Please help!

Options
Hi, I am looking to purchase a device towards the end of this month to help me along on my journey to health and am hoping to get one that not only can I use to track daily activity, but also a HRM for when I am working out. Is there any out there that do both or am I going to have to buy two different devices? Any recommendations and or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Replies

• GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am curious as well...
  • tracyjaynie
    tracyjaynie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I too would love this advise.
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia Fit does this. It not only tracks your movement, but the intensity of the movement, calories burned per minutes, even your sleep habit! I love mine and it tells me if I am on track to burn my total calorie burn for an entire day not just during a workout.

There is a $6 per month fee to use the service though because it syncs with your computer but it is well worth it. There is the Fitbit but it only counts movement as far as I know.

This link explains how it works.
    http://www.bodymedia.com/Products/Learn-More/How-it-works
  • jdavison91
    Options
    What kind of daily activity are you looking to track? There are some nice watches out there that can track mileage, pace, and calories burned that include a heart rate monitor, but they are primarily used for outdoor cardio (with built-in GPS). You can use them to track your strength training workouts, etc if they have an "other" mode.

I personally have a Garmin Forerunner 305. It's a bit on the larger side but does everything I need and I got it on Amazon for a very reasonable price a few years ago. They have newer models that are smaller but still offer the same (and more) functionality, plus there are other manufacturers out there that offer similar devices. Just depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I won a Body Bugg a few weeks ago at work and I've been using it daily since. I've lost almost 10 pounds! :) You wear it 23 hours a day and it calculates your burn for the day and gives you a total # to strive toward (for me its 2400 calories) and it also gives you a food calorie goal (for me it's 1650) the deficit has me losing a pound a week so I'm a little over right now (which is fine with me)

It's very easy to use once you get it started and set up. The battery life is about 3 days and I only take it off when I'm showering and to upload my data! it takes seconds to connect to the computer and then you can see your #'s. I LOVE being able to see where I'm at throughout the day. If I'm short of my 2400 sometimes I will just walk for a bit of play with my dogs to get my HR up a little bit.

It's quite scientific and precise. I'm a numbers girl and I really like having the data in front of me daily. You get a daily chart which shows what you are burning at every minute of the day! It's amazing to see! I've even learned what exercises are the best for ME for burns, and it's surprisingly different than what I thought! so I've been including those workouts and backing off the ones that aren't as productive!

I don't know what the Body Bugg's cost (maybe $150/$200?) but to me, it's worth it! You get 6 months free of the online support/data collection. I'm sure I'll continue on with it once mine expires! good luck to you all who are looking for something! =)
  • stone307
    Options
    I would say a Fitbit. I gave a review of them on the boards a few days ago.
    FITBIT vs BODYBUG.......I have had the bodybug for over two years. I have used it off and on. Here is my answer: After two days of wearing both. BB came in at 89 calories under the FB the first day and then 49 calories over the second day. That fluctuation is fine with me since neither of them could be 100% accurate anyway. The steps where off by about 500-700 each day. Not surprised by that. When ever I was on a elliptical, the BB did not really move on steps but the FB was giving me a step count while on the elliptical. The FB is also helping me record sleep patterns, and that is a huge issue for me. When I look at the FB log, I can see the spikes of when I was up or moved alot. The BB is impossible to see those on their chart. All in all, this is a big SHOCK to me. I LOVED by bodybug up until the FITBIT hit me mail box on Wednesday. I did not think that I would be that happy with the fitbit. I got it so I could wear that out when I was not in a place I could be spotted wearing the large BB strap. My BB will be going up for sale on ebay soon. Goodbye BB and hello FB. Plus FB integrates with MFP and bodybug does not.