Need motivation!! Any women that are bottom heavy and have l

Options
Need motivation!I carry most of my weight in my butt, hips, and thighs and i've lost 15 since Jan 1 and have 70 more to go by Sept & wonder what that'll look like. So far it doesnt seem like any of that's come off my butt, hips or thighs. Can my lower body slim down much? I need motivation! So, if there's any women who've had success and have been bottom heavy please post before & after pics and tips!! Thank you!!

Replies

• Cat1432
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you...I carry all my weight in my hips.....I am finding doing exercise concentrating on those areas are helping....like lying down and lifting your legs as high as you can go then pushing your upper body up at the same time....its a killer but you feel it :).....
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I carry a lot in my thighs and stomach, not so much the butt. I'm not sure if you can see my profile pictures but I have a before at 217 pounds with a during around 174. Squat, lunge, deadlift. You can't spot reduce fat, but you can build nice lean muscles which help overall. Spot reducing is like trying to dry out one part of a sponge when the rest of it is still wet.
  • hkussatz
    Options
    lunges and squats work GREAT. bringing back the classics. I've always had large hips and thighs so combining those exercises with cardio have helped to tone and get rid the extra layer(s) of "love"
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    The weight will come off where it wants to come off, in whatever order it wants to come off. There's very little you can do about making it come specifically off of our butt & thighs.

The good news? I'm slimming down & getting close to my goal weight. And guess what? There's no where else for it to come off now. NOW I'm seeing a lot of difference! I've been 10lbs lighter than I am right now a few weeks ago (grr.... stress eating sucks!) and the areas that were thinner then were my lower tummy, my muffin-top & my thighs...

Can't WAIT to peel off that extra 10lbs I put on since November & get it BACK!
  • tina219
    tina219 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find that an eliptical trainer and a lot of walking seem to help.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Have you always carried your weight that way? I am just naturally proportioned with bigger thighs/hips and as i gain weight it becomes a lot more noticeable. I always gain weight below the belt first but it is the LAST place I will lose it. I think once you starting getting closer to your goal it won't be as noticeable. After my second pregnancy, when I finally met my goal, I was still proportioned thicker on bottom but like the poster above said there are exercises that will tone and slim those areas. Don't worry the fat will go away. Good luck!
  • I absolutely am bottom heavy, and there's no secret to it -- you can exercise your hips and thighs by doing scissors and leg lifts and squats and so on for toning. But usually, fat is lost all over the body proportionally. So keep at it (bottom-heavy women need more cardio than anyone!) and you will start to feel it. Since sticking to a good eating and cardio plan, my workout pants have become baggy enough that it's hard to jog without them falling down.
  • scunningham2012
    scunningham2012 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have wide hips and have grown to understand that I will always have wide hips (but I can make them smaller). I found just doing a lot of walking, running, and dancing type things have helped me. Also Squats, Lunges, and Leg Lifts have helped. It may be a small change but it's big enough change for me to notice!
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Same here. It always seems that the place that you want to lose the weight always comes off last! I still have big thighs, and butt, but am working a lot on cardio and do plenty of squats, dead lifts, lunges, box jumps, running, and cycling. My bottom is still a size or two bigger than my top, but it took about 50 pounds for me to really see those problem areas shrinking. Just stay with it, and it'll all happen eventually. Besides, being curvy in the baddonk is in style now, so if you got it, flaunt it! :bigsmile:
  • harleygirlT
    harleygirlT Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    4 years ago I lost 80 lbs on WW. I was doing elliptical, leg lifts, water aerobics....I got into a size 10 jeans and did lose alot of my "thunder thighs" so yes you can reduce in these areas just takes alot of work.....right now I'm doing 30 day shred and have lost about 1.5" on each thigh and 4" on my hips since Jan 1.
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have a nasty case of thunder thighs...almost the same goals and loss as you! This week I started playing just dance on the wii and from all the back and forth leg movements, I can totally feel it in the sides of my *kitten*. Now to find something to target the inner thighs......

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    even as a teenager when i was my ideal weight i was bottom heavy and it is the first place weight comes on. in my weight loss journey the first 30 pounds came off my top half and now it is slowly coming the bottom half.

i like squats and the eliptical with alternating high resistance to help build muscles in my legs and gluts to give it a slimmer look.
  • Jenniferlynn212
    Jenniferlynn212 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thank you soooooo much!! Please keep the motivation, tips, and pics coming!!
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I was 205 lbs with big hips, and thighs.. I am now 130 lbs and went from a size 18 to a 5/6. Cardio, cardio, and more cardio then the oldies but goodies like squats, lunges, dead lifts ect. As others have said you can not spot reduce. Just keep at it and it will eventually go :)
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    I'm naturally a bottom heavy until now that I lost the weight, no thanks to my Latina genes. But the good thing is that I was able to "change" it by creating a symmetry. I'm lifting heavier weights for my upper body & lighter ones for my lower body. While cardio can burn a lot of calories during the exercise but it doesn't sculpt your body while strength training does sculpt your body & will burn calories about 24-48hours long after your last rep.
  • Keto1on1
    Keto1on1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I 'M BOTTOM HEAVY AND 206 WAS MY STARTING WEIGHT LIKE YOU SO AS FAR AS YOU EATING HABITS WHAT DID YOU DO AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE? MY GOAL IS 130LBS ALSO.LET ME KNOW!
  • kckelliann
    kckelliann Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been bottom heavy my entire life. Even when I cheered competitively. People would say "OMG! You're the biggest one & you can throw back handsprings down the field!!!?? Like you had to be a 2 to be a gymnast. After 6 months of bed rest with pregnancy, I'd put on over 90 lbs & was devastated. On his 1st birthday, I was sitting on my closet floor in tears bc I felt disgusting at 297. That was July of 2007. With cardio daily, walking & weight training with less weight but tons of repetitions, I write this at 164. My most favorite go to work out is Hip Hop Abs.. LOVE SHAUN T...and the hip hop dance basis makes it not seem like work. Lunges & squats are amazing. I eat clean & " no white" & allow myself a day off. I've embraced that I was meant to be "booty-licious" & I love me for the first time. Good luck!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I've been what I call "pear-shaped" since I was 18-- I got very thin, then very plump, my first year of college, and have been varying degrees of plump from then until recently, when I finally decided enough was enough and lost around 12 pounds. I have fluctuated over the years (I'm 27) but have always carried most of the weight in my tummy and hips (though at my higher weights, my arms were kind of bad too). It got especially bad at my highest weight, which was somewhere around 120 (I'm a little under 5'1" and small-framed). I thought for years I had large hips for my height, but I finally decided to get back to the weight I was at 18, when I started college and was slim and happy with my body. That weight is 105, which I just recently reached, with the help of eating appropriately, cardio, and some weight training. My hips have decreased almost 4 inches (from 39 to 35 3/4), and my belly and waist have both decreased about 3 inches (my waist went from 29 to 26, and my belly went from somewhere over 33" to 30" now, which is SUCH a huge relief).

Basically it's just about losing the extra fat. Eventually, it will go away. Now that I'm at my goal weight (actually, I think I'm still losing weight since I'm super active and I'm finding it hard to adjust to eating more) I think my tummy is continuing to get slimmer; the skin seems looser the last couple days. . . .

So, it's really a matter of losing the weight in whatever way you can. But strength training and good vigorous cardio that use your legs a lot will help a bunch too!

Edit: Oops, duh, didn't realize before I typed all that out that this thread is YEARS old. . . maybe this will help somebody who comes along. . . .
  • the_great_unknown
    the_great_unknown Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I absolutely am bottom heavy, and there's no secret to it -- you can exercise your hips and thighs by doing scissors and leg lifts and squats and so on for toning. But usually, fat is lost all over the body proportionally. So keep at it (bottom-heavy women need more cardio than anyone!) and you will start to feel it. Since sticking to a good eating and cardio plan, my workout pants have become baggy enough that it's hard to jog without them falling down.

This, pretty much. I am a 12/14 on top and a 14/16 on the bottom and as I have lost weight (from about a 24), my lower body has changed dramatically with heavy lifting and cardio.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!