Cyclists....When/Where Do You Ride?

Options
I just bought my first 'real' Mountain bike (Trek 3500D)....although here in the south, there aren't any hills and stuff, we do have trails. Although I'll probably be doing most of my riding on the streets......and early in the morning.

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can, where ever I can.

Depending on my triathlon schedule, summers are usually a bit more road than mountain. I generally retire my road bikes during the winter once they start salting the roads (the grit makes road riding pretty dangerous), so winters are generally indoor spinning and mountain biking.
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    All depends on what type of riding and workout. Most of my workouts during the week are either on my road bike on the trainer (high intensity less than 1.5 hours) or on the cross bike on a limestone trail as I commute to work. Weekend rides can vary from technical single track on the mountain bike to long boring rides on farm roads. If your looking to ride with others, look for a local bicycle club, possibly based out of your LBS (local bike shop). Most have daily or weekly rides for riders of all levels. And if you are looking for fun weekend rides, look to see if any clubs sponsor supported rides often called sag rides. These rides are usually organized by a bike club or shop and for $10-20, you get a planned route (from 15 to 100 miles) with stops along the way to refuel with snacks, homemade bake goods and other goodies. Some even have a nice lunch afterwards. Here in Chicagoland one can find a SAG ride almost every weekend from April to October.
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Just trails.
    Dont dare ride on the road.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I ride to work, 3.5 miles each way, on my commuting bike, I take my mountain bike out to some killer trails when the weather is right, and sometimes I'll do a distance run on my road bike.
  • Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Man, you guys/gals with road and mountain bikes.....I feel like I'm behind the curve. lol

Being new to riding as a adult (as a kid I didn't care about safety too much....have the scars to prove it), what are some tips/suggestions for riding on streets and roads. I purchased small head and tail lights for riding while dark....just hoping to help be seen.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Lights are a good idea, as is reflective material if riding at night.

A helmet is an obvious requirement.

The best thing you can do is ride defensively. Know where the traffic is, know the traffic patters of the street you are on. It's a lot safer to avoid cars than it is to expect them to avoid you. Even though you legally have the right of way, you are going to get the worst of it every time.
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    Once the temp gets above 40f in the mornings! Use a road bike for back n forth to work. (11.5 miles). Only been hit once (teenager), a few close calls.
  • Jipples
    Options
    See, I didn't get a helmet. I guess I should invest one.

If not competing, why have a mountain bike and road bike? Serious question. Obviously a road bike wouldn't be got for trails and such, but why not a mountain bike for both trails and street?
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    11.5 miles each way, a road bike makes the journey so much easier! I used a mountain bike for the first couple of years, but I am a little competitive and didn't like everyone passing me!
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Definitely get a helmet.

As for why multiple bikes... it's a matter of efficiency (and to some degree, comfort). I can average about 20mph on a flat route on my roadie, but would never get close to that on a mountain bike. That's not a big deal on a 2 mile ride, but is a HUUUGE deal on a 50 mile ride.

Plus, I'm a big gear hound, so any excuse to buy a new bike is a good excuse in my book. I currently have 5 bikes that get regular use, always looking for another.
  • Jipples
    Options
    Is a mountain bike really THAT much slower?

Is it cool that I add you guys since you bike and all?
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Yep. The gears are different, so that's a limiting factor right off the get go. The body position you are in is different (mtn bikes more comfortable, road bikes more efficient) which makes a difference. Even if you went with road slicks on your mtn bike, the narrower road tires are faster. The aerodynamics are totally different, which make a difference in both speed and energy use.

I started road biking on a hardtail. I traded in the knobby tires for road slicks and thought I was in heaven. Then I actually got a road bike and it was night and day. It's a totally different sport.

Feel free to add.
  • shawnp80134
    Options
    feel free to add.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Where in the south do you live? Im in NC just outside of raleigh and there are TONs of trails around to ride.
    Live in Atlanta before here and same thing - tons of places.

Google Mountain bike trails and your area - you will be surprise how many are around.
  • willwhite78
    Options
    Yep. The gears are different, so that's a limiting factor right off the get go. The body position you are in is different (mtn bikes more comfortable, road bikes more efficient) which makes a difference. Even if you went with road slicks on your mtn bike, the narrower road tires are faster. The aerodynamics are totally different, which make a difference in both speed and energy use.

I started road biking on a hardtail. I traded in the knobby tires for road slicks and thought I was in heaven. Then I actually got a road bike and it was night and day. It's a totally different sport.

Feel free to add.

To add to this, "commercially available" Mountain bikes are also typically heavier which means you're dragging more weight along with you. If you have shocks and they can't be "locked out" then a portion of your energy goes into compressing the shocks as you pedal. Of course, Mountain bikes do handle pot holes better.
  • Jipples
    Options
    Where in the south do you live? Im in NC just outside of raleigh and there are TONs of trails around to ride.
    Live in Atlanta before here and same thing - tons of places.

Google Mountain bike trails and your area - you will be surprise how many are around.

South Louisiana......there's marsh. lol

Nah, it's not that bad where I live......I was going to take one the above posters advice and check out bike clubs that operate out of the bike shop.
  • Vic303
    Vic303 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Evenings and weekends.
  • Prefessa
    Options
    During Daylight Savings Time....do a 1/2 bike commute, the absolute best way to get in miles and not have to set aside extra time(sort of). I have done a full bike commute like on days where I have my car serviced, but its 65 miles round trip and not doable day in and day out. I shoot for 100 min/week. In the PM I may add extra loops or side trips to keep it fresh,
  • jrrflr
    jrrflr Posts: 109
    Options
    I am strictly a roadie and most of my rides, I would say 90% of them at least, start about an hour before sunrise. I am fortunate to live in a (mostly) rural area that has a very active cycling community. For these predawn rides, I have a NiteRider 650 lumen headlight that is so bright that cars often flash their high-beams at me. On the rear, I have a Portland Design Works Radbot 1000 flasher with three different flashing patterns. My buddies hate getting behind me because the red light is so very bright. Outside of that, all my cycling clothes have reflective elements (piping, logos, etc). I also wear a relective ankle band on my left ankle. As for the helmet issue, I never ride without one. About 18 months ago, I had a crash where I landed headfirst. My helmet broke into two pieces. Outside of a dull headache, I have no head injuries. If I had not had the helmet on, I probably wouldn't be here today. Or at least not in the same condition. Just remember, if you ever crash and your helmet is struck, replace it before your next ride.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    OP: I'm in Arkansas and I feel your pain with not having places to ride like many in the northern states do. If you are riding solely for exercise, it doesn't matter if you just have a mountain bike. I started triathlons last summer but only had a mountain bike. I rode the mountain bike on the roads (and on the paved tri course I was going to be racing in) in training then just borrowed a road bike for the race. If I weren't competing, I never would have spent the money on a road bike. Yes, the road bike is MUCH faster and if you get into group rides, you'll want a road bike so you can keep up with the others. But if you are just riding for exercise, it makes no difference.

I do know that my mountain bike, while much slower, was definitely easier to maintain. The mountain bike tires can ride over the pieces of gravel and other small fragments on the roads without any problem. I went 9 months on the mountain bike without a flat. I got a flat on my 3rd ride on the new road bike because I wasn't used to having to watch out for every little piece of gravel and the tires puncture much easier. The area I live in doesn't have bike paths, like I said earlier, so the only choice is the regular roads--some areas of the country, especially in the northern states, don't have that problem because there are so many running & biking paths that are maintained well.

I also agree--helmet is an absolute must! You can get a good one for $40-$50, make sure the bike shop or a cyclist friend helps fit it for you so it's snug. If you will be alone a lot, I recommend getting a RoadID. Go to www.roadid.com and you can explore what type would be best for you, but many cyclists and runners will have a RoadID wristband with their basic med info so that if you are unable to tell a paramedic your info, they can get it from the RoadID. They're under $20 for most styles.