Glucosamine for runners...

Options
Does anyone supplement with Glucosamine? I have been running for the past 4 years and really have noticed a lot of problems with my knees and hips recently. Some of my co-workers (also runners) recommend this supplement. I am wondering how much? Does it help? Is there something that I should take with it? I have read some articles in Runners World, but wanted some feedback from people who have tried it in the past.

Thanks so much! :smile:

Replies

• abbie017
    abbie017 Posts: 410
    Options
    From what I understand, glucosamine works to rebuild cartilige that may have been worn from constant pressure on your joints, in this case, from running. I've heard really good things about it. Personally, I'd check with a sports medicine doctor or physical therapist first to make sure there isn't an underlying cause to the joint pain, but I don't see any harm in using it.
  • Primalgal
    Primalgal Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I take 2 Cosamin DS capsules a day. I am just a beginning runner, but it's been about 6 months and I don't have any knee problems and I'm about 50 lbs overweight!
    If you go to Amazon dot com you can read about Cosamin DS and see what other people have to say. I have it on auto ship so it comes every few months so I never run out.
    Good Luck!
  • Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine or Glucosamine Chondroitin can be useful for some folks. Back when I started running on my own (during college) I used to take some as I got towards longer runs. For me it helped most if I had been taking it in series (like starting before longer runs) than when I took it just day of or after a long run. If you are having joint problems I'd also suggest that you take a look at your running form, you are probably landing in a heel strike. It might also be worth it to check if you are wearing the right kind of running shoes.
  • PHYYOU
    PHYYOU Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems and my doctor told me to take it daily.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I use it before intense cardio.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I've used it before and I really liked it.
    But then I've also heard that it supposedly doesn't work.
    Even it was placebo effect, I felt better when i took it.

I use a lot of topical stuff on my knees now. (Icy hot, aspercreme, equi block etc)
  • Glucosamine or Glucosamine Chondroitin can be useful for some folks. Back when I started running on my own (during college) I used to take some as I got towards longer runs. For me it helped most if I had been taking it in series (like starting before longer runs) than when I took it just day of or after a long run. If you are having joint problems I'd also suggest that you take a look at your running form, you are probably landing in a heel strike. It might also be worth it to check if you are wearing the right kind of running shoes.

I have went to our local running store and had my stride checked - and am wearing the shoes they recommended. It is my right hip that bothers me the most and I have noticed a huge decrease in my range of motion. My family doctor tells me it is just from overuse (uh, no kidding?) I am an ER nurse, so I will check with some of my doctor friends to see if they have any medical advice. I am willing to try anything, because I really don't want to hang up my running shoes.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin are useful for about 35% of the folks that take it. That is why doctors won't always recommend it. I have been taking it for 5 years and it works well for me. i have another friend that it did nothing for, and another that swears by it.

Over the years I have found that certain brands work better, and that it takes up 30 days or so to see results when switching/starting. I prefer the ones from GNC, although I have tried to uses the ones from BJ's Wholesale and Walmart. I only needed to take half the recommended dosage to get results. I also suggest fish oil which is good for heart health as well.

Be sure to give it time. Also, check your running shoes, and inclines as possible sources of knee pain. I am that master at overuse injuries and have probably had them all.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I haven't been taking it lately, but plan on taking it again. It will take probably a couple months for you to notice it's working. I noticed stronger nails. It was pretty cool. I'm not a runner but have the noisiest joints a person can have. I have a small frame and certain, sudden movements make my joints pop. LOL I learned to get used to it, but every now and then I supplement my joints because I want to protect them and afraid they'll wear away if I don't do anything.
  • jbdowns35
    Options
    My boyfriend installed carpet for 20+ years and destroyed his knees. He started taking glucosamine & condroitin & it did wonders for his pain. When he would run out, he'd forget to tell me to buy more, but I knew when to put it on my list because he started to complain about his knees hurting. I would ask if he's out of glucosamine & sure enough, he would be. He no longer is in that line of work, so the continuous damage isn't occurring to his knees anymore. He still takes the glucosamine for over all joint health, but he no longer ecperiences pain when he forgets to take it for a few days.

I also put my dog on it since he is a hunter & would be incredibly sore after hunts. I noticed a significant improvement in a week or so. Actually, improvement is an understatement. It was practically a miracle. I thought we were going to have to retire him for good & the glucosamine kept him hunting for several more years. I swear by it. I don't buy the ridiculously expensive brands either, just stick to whatever is fairly priced.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I use it, because I had a heal injury, but I can't tell if it is working or not, I take A LOT of different vitamins and supplements - and I can tell which in particular is working, BUT I can tell that some of them ARE helping me! My skin is better, I feel more energized, alert, sleep better, and feel healthier.
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Try seeing a PT and be sure you have a good stretching regimen. I do use GC but I would not count on it to solve an overuse issue-though it may certainly help esp with knee pain.

I have been struggling with ITBS and it can involve your hip flexor. I know how frustrating an injury can be good luck and keep trying different things including cross training and liberal use of stretching. Check out the Pigeon pose from yoga. good luck!

I had ITBS as well and major Knee problems last year (I am a runner) I bought compression sleeves and was fit for running shoes at a Run Shoppe. This helped my shin splints but not the knee and ITBS issues. Strength training, stretching and Glucosamine Chondroitin has helped me TREMEendously the last few months I have been pain free!!!! The only time I feel a slight crick in my knees are during speed workouts which is normal and they are fine the next day. I take 2 Publix Extra strength pills. I went there and compared all the ones on the shelf there were about 10 different brands and Publix was the lucky winner. You MUST take it every day for it to work and yes it does take 4-6 weeks to start kicking in. You need to rest your knees for them to heel first as well. I had to take an entire month off running for mine to heel correctly and take the supplement and am so happy I did!
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Would be very interested to know this too as I have cartilage problems and general connective tissue issues. Especially in my knees, hips and ankles, at the moment, I have a constant ache in my left knee, funnily enough, not painful when running but it is during squats, cycling and rowing and being sedentary then standing up! :) My Dad takes it and I used to, it's quite expensive, however my Dad says you can take it for 3 months and it builds up enough to last 3 months in your system so you can take 3 months off taking it, so effectively you only take it for 6 months a year. Don't quote me on that as I don't know what the variables are surrounding that.

BUMP !
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it personally, but we give our dog glucosamine/chrondroitin supplements because he was born with bad hips. So far, it has kept him mobile and prevented him from having hip surgery! :-D

Have you read Born to Run by Chris McDougall? Amazing book. I switched to minimalist shoes after reading it, and my ITBS miraculously disappeared! I'm running in Reebok Realflex and wearing Vibram Bikila LS during the day.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I take 500 mg 3 times a day with my meals and I really like it. Even if it doesn't make a substantial difference in the issues you are currently having, it's still a good and inexpensive supplement for any serious runner to take because it helps to build and maintain cartilage which is often a concern for runners. It can also relieve joint pain. Who know, It might be a proactive way to prevent any future injuries and pain.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I take Jointace sport which includes glucosamine & crondroitin, wellwoman sport & paradox omega 3,6 & 9. I have only been taking them a month but have friends who run & have used it regularly as a support to their system & found it has helped.

I am having ITB issues in my knee which have just come on as my distance had increased so am hoping the supplements will help!!

Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I started taking it about 2 weeks ago (Vitamin Shoppe brand with Chrondroitin and MSM) and I think I am having less pain in my knees. I am not a runner but I do walk my dog several miles a day and have been adding in some jogging spurts. I do some other weight training and cardio as well. I am 50 and have to be careful with my knees and my husband had a bottle he wasn't taking so I figured why not? I don't think there are any side effects. Someone said it helps some people and not others and I bet that is spot on.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I tried glucosamine a few years ago and it seemed to help with knee pain.

Later I found a permanent knee pain cure in correct running form and minimalist running shoes.
  • TammyW18
    TammyW18 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    BUMP