Thai Calories?

Options
Hey I have a question for anyone that could possibly help me..... I'm going out the our local Thai restaurant for dinner with one of my friends tonight. I'm trying to save my calories for that. It's considered a treat because of the price. I usually order the Beef Thai Pan Shish Kabob with sticky rice (1cup). The orders are quite large and I usually save half for the next day.... I would like to know what other people would put the calories at for something like that??? I tried to look online and I haven't found anything yet... Please help! I really don't want to go over my calories.:sad:

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would take the meat portion of the kebab, so log the amount of the beef cut you are eating (e.g. 6 ounces of sirloin), which will definitely be in the database. There is no telling how much fat is involved in the cooking or what they marinade in. I usually play it safe and just log one tablespoon of oil to cover my bases with fat and calories. Sticky rice is also in the database, so you are good there.

All you can do when you go out to eat is put forward a best guess. I try to err on the conservative side just to be safe.
  • countryclubber
    Options
    i look up calories in my calorieking book...but i think they have an online resource, too

heres what my book says abt the 1c of sticky rice is 170cal but if it has coconut n sesame seeds it's 880cal nothing abt the kabobs but my book is from 2006 lol sooooo i would look at their online database...i've always found them to be incredibly accurate...good luck and enjoy :)
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    If I truly can't figure out how much something is. I eat half and count it as 500-600 calories since many restaurant dishes come in the 1,000 - 1,200 calorie range.

That being said, the data base has quite a number of thai dishes. I was kind of shocked at the Pad Thai the other day.
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I did call the restaurant and had someone talk to the cook. you can see her cooking everything which is nice. It's done pretty healthy...anyway, she said that she'd guess about 300/serving w/o the rice. So, for everything I'm probably looking at just under 1000cals. And I'm rounding UP to be safe. LOL.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    In this situation, I just find something similar in the database and use that. I don't worry about it much. Especially if it's a rare occasion, one meal is not going to affect much even if your guess is way off. (In fact, I go out all the time and just guess at it - it's working for me. I lose weight steadily at just the rate I should be.)
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    If I truly can't figure out how much something is. I eat half and count it as 500-600 calories since many restaurant dishes come in the 1,000 - 1,200 calorie range.

That being said, the data base has quite a number of thai dishes. I was kind of shocked at the Pad Thai the other day.

I know!! That's why I try not to eat out too often. I'd rather make my own food...But, Thai Cuisine is just TOO GOOD to pass up.
  • MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    At times like this I just do 30 mins on the arc trainer to burn some of the unknown calories away.
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    At times like this I just do 30 mins on the arc trainer to burn some of the unknown calories away.

I plan on doing a cardio dance dvd this afternoon before I go!!! Best way to do it!!
  • amymarie8709
    Options
    In this situation, I just find something similar in the database and use that. I don't worry about it much. Especially if it's a rare occasion, one meal is not going to affect much even if your guess is way off. (In fact, I go out all the time and just guess at it - it's working for me. I lose weight steadily at just the rate I should be.)

This is a good idea. I'll keep scanning the database and find something close. Thank you.
  • mellymclaughlin
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask the restaurant how they cook stuff.
    EG you can guess the meat and vegetables - but you don't know how much oil is in there and it's impossible to guess. They will tell you a decent estimate if you ask though. If they look at you funny, just explain you're calorie counting and need to know. Restaurants are usually OK with this! (and if they are not, it's probably cos they've got something to hide).
  • jenlee_74
    Options
    I'd skip the sauce/gravy type dishes- a lot of sugar, coconut (fat). A satay with the peanut sauce on the side would be a good choice. The soups with the clear broth are good, too. Pra Ram is a good one: usually a piece of grilled chicken on a bed of broccoli or spinach and a peanut sauce- get it on the side. Good luck!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I had to guess with my Galanga Cashew Chicken, so I found other similar recipies online and they were about 600 calories, I only have 1 cup so I'm guessing 300 calories. It's tough when there's no information. One day the government will make it manditory to have nutritional information.
  • kryan70
    kryan70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    1. Satay, beef, meat only

Alternate Name : beef kebab
    Description : Beef pieces, marinated with spices, skewered and grilled, lean and fat (not including peanut sauce)
    Edible Portion : 100%
    Per Serving : 10 g (satays in asia are much smaller then the ones in the u.s)

2. Satay sauce

Alternate Name : Peanut sauce
    Description : Made of roasted ground peanuts, chilli paste and lemon grass
    Edible Portion : 100%
    Per Serving : 29 g