Valentine's Day Menu

Options
dovesgate
dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
Valentine's Day is in only 2 days. Usually my husband and I go out to eat but this year I feel like cooking some yummy food at home.

Here's what we're having:

Starter:
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms - approx 50 cal. per mushroom
(I'll probably be halving the recipe for just us 2 and using the leftover mixture for a wrap later this week)
8 ounces fat free cream cheese (I plan to substitute Laughing Cow cheese)
6 ounces crabmeat
2 garlic cloves
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt and pepper (I'll probably omit the salt)
2 tablespoons fat-free parmesan cheese
20 -30 medium white mushrooms

Main Course:
Lobster tail for me, Rib eye for my husband

Grilled Artichoke Skewers - approx 250 cal for a whole artichoke with dip (serving size is supposed to be 4)
2 fresh artichokes
4 tbsp lemon juice, divided
1 1/2 tsp grated lemon peel
3tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp seasoned salt (I may omit this)
1 clove garlic

Lemon-Garlic Dipping Sauce
1/3 cup mayo (I'll use low-fat)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/3 tsp grated lemon peel
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp season salt
1 clove garlic

A nice spring mix salad with balsamic vinagrette

Dessert:
Chocolate covered strawberries
If I'm really feeling decadent, I'll make the greek yogurt cheesecakes from the following link but I have a box of low fat brownie mix I will use for the crust: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247182-greek-yogurt-cheese-cake-mini-s?error_user_id=8160959&error_username=CourteneyLove&hl=greek+yogurt+mini+cheesecakes

What menu do you have planned?

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    It's like a lovely restaurant's menu!
    Lucky man!
    Have a wonderful evening. :D
  • dtiff
    dtiff Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    that sounds delicious!!
  • jackieb1977
    jackieb1977 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    well im planning

starter: stuffed mushrooms with a rocket pesto

main. stuffed chicken for him, vegi version for me

dessert: gooey chocolate puds

i have no idea how many kcals as yet will do on day.x
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome
    we usually go to a super chinese place where they cook everything right there from scratch and get shrimp flown in daily from Japan....
    but this year I let hubby choose
    its our 7 year wedding anniversary on valentines day
    its a day to splurge
    I been saving my calories and working out hard so i can

so hubby decided on a small place near us that we never been too and does taco tuesday

ill try to find something healthy on the menu =)

but hey its one day and I usually have one day a week to splurge so keeps my body guessing and try to avoid a plateau :)

next day is always a new day, relax and let someone else do the work, its the ONE of maybe 3 days outta the year I don't have to cook =P
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Just another day...
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Aww congrats and best wishes on your anniversary!
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    We always order some kind of to-go for valentine's day dinner but lunch we're having a picnic in the living room. We both work from home and since it's cold and snowing outside the living room floor is the next best place to spread a picnic blanket.

Salad Rolls
    Thinly sliced salad ingredients like carrot, celery, ect, wrapped up in a romaine leaf with ranch dressing dip.

Deli Sandwiches
    Chicken, turkey, pepperoni, cheddar, provolone, tomato, pickles, mayo, mustard on sandwich thins, cut into quarters with toothpick and olive.

Strawberries with chocolate pudding 'dip'

Freshly made apple juice mixed with carbonated water.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I'm making yet -- just that it will involve lobster tails. The grocery store had 4 oz lobster tails on sale for $5 ea... I pounced.

One thing I don't understand is why some people are making one thing for themselves and something different for their spouses? Make the same yummy and healthy meal for BOTH of you (and get the heck out of the kitchen). Give a Valentine's gift of a healthy heart meal.
  • joyr1982
    joyr1982 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cut up veggies to dip in guacamole.
    Chile colorado, Spanish rice (for him), corn tortillas
    Strawberries. Dunk them in light sour cream and then splenda brown sugar blend. Very yummy.
  • deadgirl81
    deadgirl81 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Seeing as Tuesday is my shopping day (Normally the only day I get to see my Dad - yep, I still go shopping with my Dad at 30 :) ) I will imagine that my other halfs dinner will be burgers or some kind of ready meal, which I'll make for him when I get in, and I'll probably have cous-cous,salad and maybe some mackerel.

Not very romantic I know, but we do normally go out, but he's been having problems with sciatica for the past month almost, so sitting down isnt appealing to him, his tea-time normally means him eating a few mouthfuls of food, wandering round the room then back for a bit more food, maybe laying on the floor, then finishing off his food!!

We may go out for a meal at the end of the week, depends on how he feels!
  • cherryObebe
    Options
    My boyfriend is out of the country on business, so I will be home alone on Valentine's Day. We are having our romantic celebration when he gets home in a couple of weeks. That being said, I am still planning on a delicious dinner for myself!!! ;)

If you even remotely like risotto, then you are missing out if you never try this dish. It is AMAZING!

Champagne Risotto

risotto.jpg

Ingredients
    4 thin slices prosciutto
    3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
    12 asparagus spears, cut diagonally into 1-inch pieces
    2 tablespoons butter, divided
    1 shallot, finely chopped
    3/4 cup Arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
    3/4 cup Champagne
    1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.

Place the slices of prosciutto on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake until the prosciutto slices are almost completely crisp, about 6 to 8 minutes. The slices will crisp up even more as they cool. Reserve for garnish.

In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Blanch the asparagus in the chicken stock for 2 minutes. Remove the asparagus with a slotted spoon. Set the asparagus aside and keep the chicken stock at a low simmer.

In another medium saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Add the shallot and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the Arborio rice and stir to coat in the butter. Continue toasting the rice, stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes more. Add the Champagne and simmer until the liquid has almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of the simmering broth and stir until almost completely absorbed, about 2 minutes. Continue cooking the rice, adding the broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and allowing each addition of broth to absorb before adding the next, until the rice is tender but still firm to the bite and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes total. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in the asparagus, remaining butter, Parmesan, salt, and pepper. Spoon the risotto into serving dishes and garnish by breaking the crisp prosciutto into smaller pieces over the top of the risotto. Serve immediately.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/champagne-risotto-recipe/index.html
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    My man is simple, he wants pizza, so I'm making pizza. ;)
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm totally ordering pizza!! Its just me and my daughters and one of them will likely be out with her boyfriend so for the other two that will be home, we're ordering a couple pizzas and picnicing on the living room floor while we watch TV. No romantic meal for me.
  • TNoire
    TNoire Posts: 642 Member
    Options

Aww congrats and best wishes on your anniversary!

Thank you! :flowerforyou:

id love to see some pics of this meal your making though ~ !!! :wink:
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Man I am getting hungry, sounds delicious. So far I know we will have shrimp and Dungeness crab :)
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    Good idea. Think I may make our vday dinner too!
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    bump for all these yummy recipes
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There's 7 of us here, and not everyone likes seafood. We live with another family, and it's their anniversary, too, so I'm making an extra special dinner. Lobster tails and shrimp cocktail for the seafoodies, steak for some, and stuffed ravioli for my girls who dislike both seafood and steak. The steak is from the cows we raise right here. So tender! I also made 2x baked potatoes. There will be a huge tray of fresh, colorful veggies. For dessert, I'm making cupcakes, made with soda and no oil, and frosting them with a chocolate whipped cream. I figured out the calories before, and it's not much. Not a really bad dinner, just a really yummy dinner!
  • jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My kids are making supper for me! Not sure what the menu is going to be buy the fact that they are frying is all that counts. I will be making red velvet cupcakes for them for dessert.
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    im making spagetti. we have three kids so going out doesn't work for us. we will also have a salad and wheat rolls. and for dessert, probably a few girl scout cookies. nothing too fancy over here.