managing calories when eating out????

Options
When you know you're going to go out to dinner how do u stick with your calorie intake?
Hubby wants to take me to Texas Roadhouse for Valentines day tomorrow but we never really leat out so I'm not real sure how to manage it because I know everything will be way out of the calorie intake I should be taking in.

We are planning on going in between my normal lunch time and dinner ....so can I just count the meal as my lunch and dinner?

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I could not find a nutrition menu directly on the Texas Roadhouse site (but you are able to request it from them via mail or email I think... pft!) But I did some searches and other sites have certain meals and their nutritional facts listed. I really hate when restaurants don't list their nutritional information online. :mad:

I am sure MFP has some stuff listed so maybe you can plan your meal ahead of time.

Correction, I am not sure if you can request nutritional information from them; statement from their website:

Thank you for contacting us regarding our nutritional information. At this time, we do not offer calorie counts and other nutritional information.

We can assure you that we are cognizant of the demand from guests such as yourself to provide this information, but there are several factors that make this difficult.

Many of the large foodservice companies that offer specific nutritional information can do so because their food is pre-packaged and/or pre-portioned. Since we make our food from scratch — including the bacon bits, croutons, and dressings — it is next to impossible to provide exact nutritional information because of slight variations that depend upon whomever prepares the food.

We also make our bread from scratch each day and hand-cut our steaks, so again, we do not have the
    exact information printed, like some foodservice operators or what you may find in the grocery store.

We have attempted to provide some information in the past, but we pulled back after some guests complained we were not detailed enough. In addition, some enterprising folks tested the food, and when it fell outside the guidelines, they threatened legal action. As such, we stopped providing our special gluten-free menu, for example.

In addition, many states, counties and cities across the nation are attempting to pass legislation providing restaurants with guidelines and rules for displaying nutritional information. As a result, our efforts are on hold until we know what information will be required, the ranges that will be allowed, and how that information should be distributed.

In the meantime, if you have any specific questions, we encourage you to contact us, and we'll answer them as quickly as we can.

Sorry but *thumbs down*.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If it's just a regular, no special occasion meal out, I try to get a small dinner salad to start with with whatever low fat dressing is available, just to curb my appetitie. Opt for whatever lean meat they have, ask that it's not prepared with any butter, and get steamed veggies on the side. It's kind of a pain in the *kitten* to ask the chef to make your stuff special, but they usually don't mind.

However, for special occasions, I kinda don't care. Saturday night we went out to our favorite steakhouse (early Valentine's) and I had a juicy steak, mashed potatoes, roasted bone marrow, and I didn't care. I made sure I got in a good workout that day, and the next day and didn't think twice about it. And that steak was delicious :) Gotta treat yourself sometimes!
  • witrixie2011
    Options
    Directly from their website:

If you require further information, please fill out the Contact Us form. We always welcome sincere questions and comments from our valued customers.

http://www.texasroadhouse.com/contact-us/form
  • _Tristan_
    _Tristan_ Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I either take a look at the menu online and plan out what I'm going to eat or I take my phone in and log everything before I order.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised how many restaurants have lower calorie options. I bet if you got a steak and some veggies, you'd be well within your calorie goals.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If you go to food and then database there are stuff in the myfitnesspal regarding texas roadhouse.
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    i eat what i know is decently healthy. i do like subway <chicken is lowest in sodium!> and i go for the chargrill from Chick Fil A, only i eat half the bun.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
  • sentheticangel
    Options
    I would try to get chicken or fish cooked dry and steamed veggies on the side. Eat a salad first with dressing on the side, and if they have salsa it is soo good on salad! And if you indulge a little I think it is OK because it is only one day :)
  • sdtjwp
    sdtjwp Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I usually watch my breakfast and then really, I eat what I want (in moderation) when I am out. I have found that I eat less than I used to, so this meal can be easily cut in half! Then I always make sure that I have a good workout to burn off some calories that night. My husband and I went to Red Lobster yesterday for Valentine's Day and my meal was around 1000 Calories, but I ate a sensible breakfast and with that meal, I just needed a small snack later. I also had a good workout that helped me get below my calories for the day. Don't stress too much about it, or you won't enjoy yourself.

If they do have an online menu/nutrition facts, I do take a peak if I know where we are going just to have an idea what I am looking at...
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Whatever you end up ordering, eat just half of it as the portion will likely be huge.
  • gurganuss
    gurganuss Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We recently went to Outback for a bday. I enjoyed a salad with a light dressing, a loaded baked potato without butter, and a 6 oz steak. It was within my calories so it was ok per the website. I do agree though that sometimes you have to cheat a little.
  • scharm84
    scharm84 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always visit the website ahead of time to take a look at the menu. Read the decription of the foods before making your decision - look out for creamy sauce options and unhealthy sides. If you want an alcohol beverage, go for a glass of wine...about 100 calories, For your entree try a seafood dish (less calories and fat from red meat) with veggies and a starch as your side - avoid anything fried. And try to fit in a workout during the day so you can get a few extra calories.
    The other night I went out and enjoyed chips and salsa, 1/2 glass of sangria, jumbo shrimp, and steamed greens for 800 calories!! I gained extra calories from my 45 min jog earlier that day! Good luck and enjoy your celebration!
  • Mbond74
    Mbond74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options

However, for special occasions, I kinda don't care. Saturday night we went out to our favorite steakhouse (early Valentine's) and I had a juicy steak, mashed potatoes, roasted bone marrow, and I didn't care. I made sure I got in a good workout that day, and the next day and didn't think twice about it. And that steak was delicious :) Gotta treat yourself sometimes!

Good advice! :-) My problem is that I treat too many days like special occasions. ;-)
  • robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Ya know, you say you never eat out...so I'm guessing that you're doing a pretty good job of managing things otherwise...so....

It's Valentine's Day. It's a special time out with your husband. Concentrate on your wonderful time together and order what sounds good and will add to your enjoyment of this date!

View your "calorie counting" over the course of days, or the entire week -- one meal where maybe you go over is no big deal. Stressing about what you're going to eat while you're out for a special night...you don't need that on Valentine's Day!

:)
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I either take a look at the menu online and plan out what I'm going to eat or I take my phone in and log everything before I order.

I've been doing the same thing and if the restaurant does not have their nutrition information available, I opt for similiar restaurant style foods to enter into my log.
  • Cochardo1
    Options
    a lot of those places have specials for under 500 caleries, and some have *ask our chef to prepare this for under 500 calleries. I would ask if this is possible
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's Valentine's Day. It's a special occasion. Just relax and enjoy it. One day of going over calories will not derail your weight loss. If anything, it will help it.
  • kdt000
    kdt000 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I'd say get their salad with grilled chicken and low fat ranch... except it's like the size of 10 salads... I have to avoid TX roadhouse - cuz I can eat my entire day's worth of calories just in their rolls and cinnamon butter ;-)
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Here is the listing on MFP.... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/nutrition-facts-calories/texas-roadhouse

Couple of things I do in advance...my meal for one...I have the app on my phone.
    This helps me to remain accountable.

If you know the calories in advance you can make a decision on what you will eat while there...if it means you only each half a portion ask to have the rest placed in a to go box.

Becasue I have the phone app I can make modifications on the fly...but this also allows me to know what kind of exercise I will need to do at the end of the day...in case I go over.