Me and my mom

Options
Ok so im 24 and my mom and i are starting this diet! Boy is this tuff, i have to loose 50 pounds and it has to be done in a resonable amount of time. I need advice and tips. Right now i am kinda restricted to the amount of things i can do. Any tips on working out at home with no equipment would be a great start! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• brownieeyes03
    Options
    Ok so im 24 and my mom and i are starting this diet! Boy is this tuff, i have to loose 50 pounds and it has to be done in a resonable amount of time. I need advice and tips. Right now i am kinda restricted to the amount of things i can do. Any tips on working out at home with no equipment would be a great start! :flowerforyou:
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Hi!

Nice to have you with us :flowerforyou:

I think you should start exercising ex 3 days of cardio and 3 days of weights training each week.
    By cardio I mean walking/running, swimming, riding a bike etc.
    The best way is probably to make one day of cardio, the other of weights and so on, with one day a week rest.

Try browsing www.shape.com and www.self.com (if you register here you can watch some exercise videos etc) and find sth for you there.

And of course if you want to exercise at home dvds are always a good idea :smile:

Good luck!
  • Laura21905
    Options
    Hi I just started this about a week ago and I have 40 pounds to loose. I lost 3.5 the first week! Just commit that you are going to do it, it's great that your mom is doing it too that way you can encourage each other. I just bought taebo videos and I love doing them at home and I really sweat. It's a great workout. I got the Ultimate TaeBo and Celebrity Fitness TaeBo. If you have any questions or if I can help in any way let me know! :happy:
  • Bert
    Bert Posts: 27
    Options
    Welcome! Workout ideas: first there are many good sources online for weight (resistance) training. Instead of fancy weights, try soup cans or other small cans of food and then work you way up with what you find at home. You could buddy with your mom to push agains each other as well.

This is a great time to start and if you get discouraged, we're here!
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    welcome

remember, everything will happen if you want it to

but don't loose too fast
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    I guess the only thing I can suggest right now is that you don't think of this as a "diet plan" this community is really a place where you will find out to adjust your portions and think healthy with regard to food and exercise in your daily life.

We have a community of people who are experiencing success and failure on a daily basis and willing to share those with you and we're all here virtually to give you any support that you may require in our own personal ways.

Welcome aboard to both of you. Start slow, live each day one at a time and it will eventually all come together for you.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    I guess the only thing I can suggest right now is that you don't think of this as a "diet plan" this community is really a place where you will find out to adjust your portions and think healthy with regard to food and exercise in your daily life.

We have a community of people who are experiencing success and failure on a daily basis and willing to share those with you and we're all here virtually to give you any support that you may require in our own personal ways.

Welcome aboard to both of you. Start slow, live each day one at a time and it will eventually all come together for you.
    NOT a Diet--This is how we should be eating always!!! Change of life. He is very right on!!! You will sabbatoge yourself if you think of this a s a diet. Good luck
  • staliajones
    Options
    Hi brownie! Congratulations on beginning this change! I hope that you are able to find encouragement and useful tools on this website to help you and your mother.

Since you are somewhat restricted in what you can do, I think that you should begin doing exercises that incorporate your own body's resistance. I know that it sounds strange, but when I was a cheerleader (ages ago) and in very great shape, I had to have a surgery to repair a broken wrist from tumbling and I was unable to do some of the exercises that my drill sergeant of a coach would make us do...so she made me stand and do resistance using my body. To start with, either sitting or standing (preferably standing) extend your arms to where they are parallel to the floor, flip your palms up facing the ceiling, make fists and bend at the elbows. This is basically a bicep curl, but with your arms extended outward so that you have to work to keep them parallel to the floor while curling inward. The key to doing any resistance work is to really engage your muscles and to focus on the squeezing motion as you contract. During this movement, you can also engage your core (stomach and lower back) by keeping it tight. I would do 3-5 sets of 10 repetitions, but you can either increase the reps or decrease if needed.

I know that this is only one exercise, but there are others to do as well. I am unsure as to what your ability is, but let me know if the one I mentioned above helps out at all. If not, I can give you examples of some other things. Just remember, don't quit when your muscles begin to burn and tire. If anything you do becomes too difficult, try to do as many reps as possible on one set and then on the next, just do as many as you can. You can do it! Good luck!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    NOT a Diet--This is how we should be eating always!!! Change of life. He is very right on!!! You will sabbatoge yourself if you think of this a s a diet. Good luck

It reminded me of such a quotation from Garfield:

"Diet is 'die' with a 't'" :wink:

So - no diet, just a lifestyle change :laugh:
  • brownieeyes03
    Options
    Thank all of you for the tips and advice so far. I really do appreciate it.. And yes those of you who said it isnt a diet that its a lifestyle change you are completely right! But it is tuff, i have to stop and catch myself when i go into the kitchen. No you cant have those cookies , lol. Again thank you all for the advice.