Coke Zero

Options
Any thoughts on Coke Zero? Is it safe to drink in moderation in place of Pepsi?

Replies

• scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i actually use sprite zero. I was given it in the hospital so i would guess it was ok. yet lately i have decided that i really dont need soda. I went to convientmrt yesterday I was going to get a diet dr. pepper and told myself i really did n ot want or need it. the sprite is zero nall across the board. but something is in there to make it sweet.

I found this article called are you being fooled by zero soda

http://naturalbias.com/are-you-being-fooled-by-zero-calorie-sodas/

Coke Zero and Pepsi Max

Most diet sodas, including Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi, have been virtually calorie free for years. As such, Coke Zero and Pepsi Max are nothing more than diet sodas with some new ingredients and a unique marketing spin. The following are some of the more notable ingredients found in Coke Zero and Pepsi Max that don’t exist in their full calorie Coke and Pepsi counterparts.

Aspartame

Aspartame is an artificial sweetener that’s considered by many health experts to be one of the most dangerous food additives in existence. Despite a significant amount of controversy, aspartame is frequently associated with cancer, neurological disorders including Parkinson’s disease and Alzheimer’s disease, and a very long list of other conditions and unpleasant symptoms.

Much of the controversy surrounding aspartame is fueled by corporate interest. In the late 1990s, Dr. Ralph Walden showed how significant this influence is by conducting a peer review of the 165 studies that were available at the time and were related to the safety of aspartame for humans. Of these studies, 74 were funded by corporations with financial ties to aspartame and the other 91 were funded by independent sources. All of the research that had financial ties to aspartame deemed it to be safe while 92% of the independent research indicated otherwise.

Acesulfame Potassium

Acesulfame potassium, often referred to as Acesulfame K, is another artificial sweetener that’s increasing in popularity. Although more research needs to be done on Acesulfame K, it’s been shown to promote cancer and increased insulin production in animals.

Potassium Benzoate

Potassium benzoate is a food preservative that’s used to prevent the growth of yeast, mold, and bacteria. It’s drawn a lot of negative attention due to it’s potential to form benzene when combined with vitamin C. Long term exposure to benzene has been found to cause cancer, anemia, suppressed immunity, irregular menstruation, and infertility.

Trading One Problem for Another

As shown by the following table, the biggest difference between Coke Zero, Diet Coke, Pepsi Max, and Diet Pepsi is the introduction of the Acesulfame K sweetener and the reduction of aspartame.

Coke Zero

Diet Coke

Pepsi Max

Diet Pepsi

Acesulfame K

46 mg

0 mg

32 mg

0 mg

Aspartame

87 mg

187 mg

123 mg

177 mg

Although Acesulfame K appears to be much less of a risk than aspartame, it’s safety is still in question, and that leaves Coke Zero and Pepsi Max with two potentially dangerous artificial sweeteners instead of one.

The Max Factor

In addition to being a zero calorie soft drink, Pepsi Max is also marketed for it’s increased caffeine content and the addition of ginseng, both of which give it the appeal of an energy drink. In comparison to the 38 mg of caffeine in regular Pepsi, there’s 69 mg of caffeine in Pepsi Max. The inclusion of ginseng, which is a natural herbal supplement used to promote better mental and physical function, even gives Pepsi Max a bit of a misleading health appeal.

Neither caffeine nor ginseng will ever provide you with the long lasting and balanced sense of energy that can only result from optimal health. Furthermore, frequently relying on caffeine for energy will likely worsen the underlying problem that’s causing you to be tired and eventually lead to adrenal fatigue and poorer health.

Another suspect ingredient in Pepsi Max is calcium disodium EDTA which is commonly used by health professionals to help remove excess metals such as mercury, lead, and iron from the body. What does this have to do with soda you may ask? According to Pepsi, it helps to “protect flavor.” The real reason why it’s in Pepsi Max is to reduce the risk of benzene forming from the potassium benzoate preservative. How nice of Pepsi to look out for us like that.

A Better Perspective on Weight Loss

Clearly, the most obvious reason to drink zero calorie beverages such as Coke Zero and Pepsi Max is to reduce calorie intake, and in turn, lose weight. Ironically, although this is a controversial topic with research supporting both sides, it’s been shown in at least one study that people who rely on artificially sweetened beverages are more likely to gain weight.1 In association with this, aspartame in particular has been shown to increase appetite2 and calorie consumption.3

Losing weight is no different from increasing your energy in the regard that it’s most effectively done through a healthy lifestyle. Too many people prioritize their appearance over their health, and as a result, fail to understand that pursuing better health and following a healthy diet will naturally lead to weight loss.

No type of soda, regardless of how many or how few calories it has, is ever a good choice. However, by following healthy habits on a regular basis, you’ll be able to enjoy soda in moderation without much impact to your health or weight, and when you do, you might as well enjoy the real thing!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think drinking any kind of diet soda drink is fine as long as you are still getting in the appropriate amount of water. If you drink a lot of water, you will find that you no longer want as many diet drinks.
  • DALENEWELL
    DALENEWELL Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the imput. I do drink lots of water and do not crave soda as much! I think maybe I should drink the real thing once in a while instead of diet stuff!