Need good low-sodium lunch options to take to work.

Options
Hello!

Normally when I'm at work, I eat a frozen meal for lunch, however, they are packed with sodium. When I actually pack my lunch (which is rare these days) I make a sandwich out of lunchmeat, which is also packed with sodium. I'm not very creative when it comes to food (or in general, really), so I could use some good alternatives.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jonnyk82
    Options
    Bump
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Basically anythign that comes in a box, bag or packaged is going to be high in sodium. I do sandwiches for lunch but will do home made egg salad or Natural PB & honey (both around 200g sodium). I use Ezekiel bread. You can make your own soups which will drastically cut the sodium. You basically have to keep to whole foods that are minimally packaged/processed.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with this myself. I've been thinking of just breaking down and taking a few days in the week (sunday and wedsneday night) and just making food for the next few days.

I'm thinking of doing a black bean/chicken combo with shredded carrots, onions, peppers and hot sauce.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Make yourself a salad using a chicken breast you cooked yourself the night before. Or take that chicken breast, shred it and make chicken salad for a sandwich or slice it for a regular sandwich. Canned tuna is also fairly low in sodium.

I usually bring dinner leftovers. I just make sure I prepare at least one extra portion when I'm making dinner so there's enough for lunch for me and/or my husband.
  • harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    One thing I like to do is make my own lunch meat. If you get some bnls sknls chicken breast and coat it in a few good no sodium seasonings ( I like paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and black pepper ) Then bake it in a foil pack for about 30-40 minutes at 350. Slice it and it makes great sandwiches. There's just enough natural sodium in the chicken to keep it from being bland. The cool thing is that typically lunch meat sells for 5-7 dollars a pound. You can get chicken breast on sale usually for 2 bucks a pound so it's a cheap alternative. I make up a couple pounds at a time and use it in salads as well. Hope this helps.
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've had to break up my lunch into 2 parts so as not to feel hungry through the day. I take an avocado, add some low sodium salsa (Newman's Black Bean and Corn, or Safeway Organics Mild Salsa- 2 TBS) and a cup of brown rice. I also love some tuna with Mrs. Dash garlic and herb (no salt there! my best friend is Mrs. Dash) with some crackers. Good Luck!