"healthy weight" too low?

Options
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've lost about 50 lbs now, went from a size 18 to a 9/11 in juniors or a perfect 10 in women's., medium sized shirts, with a 36G chest. To be at my healthy weight I'd have to lose another 70ish. I weigh 190 right now I'm only 5'0. I'm scared that losing another 70 lbs will be too much, I'm looking more for an athletic than a thin stick, as I have a large chest, I'm actually getting reduced this summer through my insurance, which my breasts alone weigh around 12 lbs.

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    The whole "healthy weight" thing is kinda crap to me. What's a lot more important is your body fat percentage. Women should ideally be between 18-22% body fat. I am 5'3" and weigh 161 right now. "Healthy weight" for me could be anywhere from 110-140 lbs. But if I weight 110 lbs I would literally have 0% body fat, so there is just no way that's possible. Try and get your body fat % checked out and that will give you a MUCH better idea of where you need to be. Good luck!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Your breasts will get smaller naturally the more fat you lose. A healthy weight doesn't have to be "stick thin". It's about how much body fat you have. Focus on that percentage, not the actual weight. Although, just IMHO 190 is very high for 5'0 and is likely considered obese/borderline morbidly obese. Remember that while "looking good" is a nice goal to have you should strive for being healthy. Being obese predisposes you to many health risks including asthma, sleep apnea, diabetes, heart attack, congestive heart failure, joint problems, and many many more.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you understand that being healthy not only benefits your quality of life but also allows you to be around longer for your loved ones.
  • ginny1214
    Options
    Your breasts will get smaller naturally the more fat you lose. A healthy weight doesn't have to be "stick thin". It's about how much body fat you have. Focus on that percentage, not the actual weight. Although, just IMHO 190 is very high for 5'0 and is likely considered obese/borderline morbidly obese. Remember that while "looking good" is a nice goal to have you should strive for being healthy. Being obese predisposes you to many health risks including asthma, sleep apnea, diabetes, heart attack, congestive heart failure, joint problems, and many many more.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you understand that being healthy not only benefits your quality of life but also allows you to be around longer for your loved ones.

I'm not done losing weight. I was at 41% body fat 6 months ago, I'm at 30 now. My breasts won't get smaller as when I was 110 in high school i was a 32DDD/E. I understand I am still overweight, I'm not trying to stay at 190 because I still am not satisfied with my body. I would like to be 145, but my old trainer was on this kick thAt I get down to 105 and I feel that is too small. I felt that you were belittling me, however I did state I've already lost a mass amount of weight, so it's not like I'm coming on here saying, "I'm 250 lbs and I feel I look good enough".
  • ginny1214
    Options
    The whole "healthy weight" thing is kinda crap to me. What's a lot more important is your body fat percentage. Women should ideally be between 18-22% body fat. I am 5'3" and weigh 161 right now. "Healthy weight" for me could be anywhere from 110-140 lbs. But if I weight 110 lbs I would literally have 0% body fat, so there is just no way that's possible. Try and get your body fat % checked out and that will give you a MUCH better idea of where you need to be. Good luck!

Thanks! Yea it's just all annoying to be a perfect weight! I love my body right now, I love my curves, however would like to be out of the obese range, which is irritating that I'm already almost into single size clothing and on a piece of paper still need to lose 70 more lbs :/
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Any number you pick is going to be arbitrary until you actually get there. Get to 145 and then re-assess.
  • kendie_mac
    kendie_mac Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Any number you pick is going to be arbitrary until you actually get there. Get to 145 and then re-assess.

^^^This
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My ‘healthy’ weight range is “107-141”. I know for a fact that (*if I could even get down this much) if I weighed anything below 125, I wouldn’t be happy with how I looked. If I weighed in at 107 I’d look like I was starving myself, although I do know people on the lower end of that weight range that are the same height as me...they just are built differently so they look healthy, but I just know I wouldn't…so I’m not convinced those ranges are really THAT accurate. It depends on how your body is built as well. Even though it’s at the high end of my healthy weight range, I’d be happy as ever to get down to 140 (my goal is actually 135). I’d look good too so don’t worry too much about the numbers. Just keep going until you’re happy with how you look and feel (it sounds like you have a good enough body image since you’re questioning that low weight ‘goal’)
  • ginny1214
    Options

Yea, that's what I planned on doing. I lost weight so fast, I have been using the last 2 months to maintain my weight, as I had a strained back also, and now I'm ready to drop the last of my weight, just trying to do it slow. I had lost 50 in about 3 months
  • cassieday
    cassieday Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and am down to 120 and i LOVE it because i am toned and not gross skinny. It is the perfect weight for me. Dont want to lose any more than this and am really happy here.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    um 18% is actually quite lean. Most girls like the way a body looks around the 18-22% marker, but you can be over 22% and still be considered QUITE healthy.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't go by all that "healthy" weight range. If I were to do that I'd loose all my girl curves and would look sick. I agree with the other poster about going by your body fat %, right know I'm at my perfect weight (for me) yet my body fat % is still too high (26.4). Keep doing what you're doing and you'll find that "perfect" spot you want to be at.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    That wasn't my intention. Simply to point out that it shouldnt matter so much how you look as how healthy you are. And also your body fat percentage. The whole "weight range" is purely arbitrary and useless.

I'm not done losing weight. I was at 41% body fat 6 months ago, I'm at 30 now. My breasts won't get smaller as when I was 110 in high school i was a 32DDD/E. I understand I am still overweight, I'm not trying to stay at 190 because I still am not satisfied with my body. I would like to be 145, but my old trainer was on this kick thAt I get down to 105 and I feel that is too small. I felt that you were belittling me, however I did state I've already lost a mass amount of weight, so it's not like I'm coming on here saying, "I'm 250 lbs and I feel I look good enough".
  • alyssaanagram
    Options

I was going to say exactly this! You never know what you'll look like/how you feel until you get there. My original goal was 125 lb (I'm 5'5) but once I reached 127lb I realized how much more I could lose - or at least tone up. There really is no perfect number, just guide lines that we should try to reach. Once you get there you'll know what's best for you.

Also- muscle weights more than fat. Maybe a better goal for you would be focusing on a pants size goal rather than a scale goal - that really worked for me.
  • CFAITH_WARD
    CFAITH_WARD Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Hey I am 5 ft too......I lost down to 140 but gained weight back due to depression....I want to make it to 135 this time....I think shoot for 145 or sometimes I prefer shooting for a clothing size then tone. Good luck.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My suggestion, stop caring about weight (even stop tracking it) and start measuring your body and working on cutting body fat. So lift heavy and try doing HIIT instead of basic cardio as well as eating a bit more calories. I always think weight is meaningless.
  • tforsyth
    Options
    That is great!! Sounds like you are on the right track! I had people giving me a hard time because they thought I lost the weight too fast (70+ pounds in 6 months), but I knew I had to be strict with myself in order to get the results I desparately wanted. I wish you continued success on your journey!
  • tbskipp
    tbskipp Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Folks who were never 'blessed' with big breasts at a young age don't realize that you don't lose them when you lose weight. You can lose the fat around them, but the boobs are still there! I actually had a reduction in 2001. When i got home from the hospital, i was 15 lbs lighter!!! The surgery was SO worth it.

I admire you very much! You sound like already look awesome. I am 5'8" and my 'healthy weight is around 160. That's my goal. Stick with the higher end of the scale for your body as your goal. You are going to continue to be fabulous!
    :wink:
  • asamuels85
    asamuels85 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    ^^I agree that these goals may not be "ideal" for everyone. I am 5'1" and for the past few years have been told I am close to obese at 150 lbs and wearing a size 4!! IDK about that?? I would just say that make sure you feel good and if you are stout/muscular you will be on that upper end of the bracket (like me). I have been a size 0 at 111 lbs and don't want to go back :) i miss my strength at that weight

I also just look disproportioned with a DD cup at that weight!! Best wishes!!!.. I AM envious of your reduction though i must say.. three kids "reduced" mine but not in a pretty way :(
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think that it's more about how you're built and what would you like to look like. For my height (5'4), the healthy weight range is 105-145 lbs. I'm tiny and I actually prefer small to curvy, so I'm aiming for the lower healthy range - 105-110 lbs-. However, someone else sharing same height but with a larger build would look sick at 110. It's all about what looks good on you and what you like on you.
  • sammi402
    sammi402 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The lower side of my "healthy" weight range is about 118lbs. I've been 118lbs, at my height I look like a prime candidate for eating disorder rehab. As for BMI, it doesn't take into accout muscle mass (or boobs for that matter). Get to a weight that you and your DOCTOR are happy with and tell your PT to get over it.