Why doesn't anybody notice????

Options
I have lost 16 lbs using MFP so far. I finally committed to my New Years Resolution and stuck to it! My clothes are fitting me better....almost to the point that I need to buy new ones. Actually I question myself now, how I used to squeeze myself into these clothes 16 lbs. ago. I know this sounds silly and childish, but I am so discouraged because nobody has noticed in my life. Please tell me I am just being dumb and who cares because I am doing this for myself!

Replies

• thedrummer1978
    thedrummer1978 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    16 pounds is awesome! You do have to remember that you are doing this for yourself but I agree that it's nice when other people notice. And they will, if they haven't already. Maybe some people don't want to say anything. Or perhaps they are just simply unobservent. As your pounds and inches melt away, people will notice! :D
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Give it time. It may be a lot of different reasons why they won't broach the topic. For me, I have been yoyoing for the past few years, so I haven't given anyone a reason to make special note of it. Just keep doing this for you. It won't be long before the new you, in new clothes, will get noticed.
  • Natley
    Natley Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    i know what you mean, if you are heavier it will take some time till people notice, usually about 20-30lbs... think about it this way, when i gained 20lbs nobody noticed and i was squeezing into my clothes so just give it time! Great job though, 16lbs is an amazing loss so far. keep tracking :)<3 mfp!
  • bmmarti3
    bmmarti3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I lost about 15% of my body weight before anyone really said anything too me.

Don't get discouraged. You should be doing this for you and not them anyway.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    If people see you everyday it's hard to notice. I bet if you went and bought new clothes some people might notice. I'm still wearing clothing that's too big for me but when I put something that fits on I can tell a difference when I couldn't before. In the past when I lost weight it took about 20 pounds before people began commenting. Congrats on your loss so far and don't get discouraged.
  • landorki
    landorki Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am sure they notice... but most people are very "iffy" about commenting on the weight of others, even if it is in a good way! My sister has done an amazing job losing 36 pounds, but she does get embarrassed if someone comments on her weight, because she says, it makes her feel like they thought she was fat before! So... I think weight is something that people like to stay away from when commenting on others!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    People probably do notice, they are just hesitant to say anything because that would be acknowleding that you were larger than you currently are. Weight is an uncomfortable topic for people.
    I have the same problem......a few people notice (co workers mostly, and my husband), but my family doesn't say anything about it. They go on & on about how much weight so & so has lost, or what diet another family member is doing, but they haven't once commented on the 14lbs that I've lost or how baggy my pants are.
    What I had to decide was that I was doing this for me - not them. If they want to compliment me, great, but if not I"ll survive!

You rock! Congratulations on your 16lb loss!!
  • KristyJoy123
    KristyJoy123 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Just wait, they will. Keep going, and eventually you will not be able to do anything without getting comments.
  • Keep in mind that if it is people you see on a regular basis it will take a little longer for them to notice. Keep up the great work and do it for you!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    People who you see every day rarely notice the smaller changes. 16lbs is great and if you can notice it then that's all the affirmation you need right now. No one really started noticing my weightloss until I started running into people from highschool or that I haven't seen in a year or so. Around 20 to 25 lbs is when my coworkers and family started really noticing.
  • nuttybuttersmommy
    nuttybuttersmommy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    16 lbs is awesome.... Its harder for people to notice change when they see you every day than every once in a while.... Give it time people will start to notice because the small changes will soon be big.... The comments are great motivators but should not the only motivator.... Congrats on a smaller size and lesser weight...
  • serabee5
    Options
    People didn't start to say anything until I had lost about 30 lbs. I think part of it is everyone is so busy right now - and the other part has a lot to do with not wanting to be "wrong." You know, "Hey, are you losing weight?" "No, do you think I need to?" LOL Be patient, keep working - do it for yourself - and the compliments will follow :) PRESS ON!
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are doing this for yourself. People usually won't comment until they notice huge changes. I am very oblivious and don't notice on others until it is beyond obvious.

I am actually hoping that I can wear my big sweaters for a little longer, so people won't notice. I want to reach at least 20 lbs before I hope anybody says anything.

Feel very happy and proud about your progress so far. As long as you can tell, this is the most important thing. Other people will start commenting once they feel more comfortable.

A woman's weight is always a touchy subject :)
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Aw I feel ya... nobody in my office has noticed. My mother compliments me all the time but only because she knows I've lost 17 pounds because I have told her. I can notice a difference but obviously nobody else can... Hopefully with the next 17 pounds they will notice lol xx
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 7lbs. People I see everyday have not noticed but people I haven't seen in weeks have. It is harder to pick up on when they see you every day. Keep up the good work.
  • rachcamp88
    rachcamp88 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've lost 14lbs in the past 5 or 6 weeks and the only people to notice are people I haven't seen since I started MFP or people I haven't seen for a few of weeks. My immediate family and workmates that I see every day haven't noticed it. Its harder to spot changes in someone you see all the time.
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    I'm with ya noone has noticed except for the people that I see maybe couple times a year. You just have to be patient with people that you see everyday while 16lbs is AWESOME! not everyone will notice that. I am down 24 lbs and my hubby has yet to notice...lol I figure he'll figure it one day...lmao :) Remember tho this is for YOU!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Most people are truly just clueless. People will really start noticing more and more. Soon I promise! It took me about 20 pounds and 2 sizes down for people to start noticing. Wear flattering clothing and strut your stuff! They'll notice soon!
  • annavt09
    annavt09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Don't feel bad. I've felt that same way before, too! I must say that a lot of people won't say anything because they are jealous. Some people don't want to recognize someone else's success. Don't get discouraged. You're doing great.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It took me almost 30 pounds for anyone outside of my husband to see i was losing weight. I was shocked how I stuffed all that extra into the same pants! HA...