Posture

Options
I have noticed over the years that my posture is getting steadily worse and worse. I'm not sure how to correct this- I do take a class called Body Balance that combines yoga and pilates with tai chi, and I usually have good posture for about 4 hours after that. But I just don't know how to carry that over into daily life! I'm actually getting a little concerned that I will start to get the curved "hunchback" look that you see on some people.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to ward off bad posture? Any techniques or exercises to recommend?

Replies

• barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have noticed over the years that my posture is getting steadily worse and worse. I'm not sure how to correct this- I do take a class called Body Balance that combines yoga and pilates with tai chi, and I usually have good posture for about 4 hours after that. But I just don't know how to carry that over into daily life! I'm actually getting a little concerned that I will start to get the curved "hunchback" look that you see on some people.

Does anyone have any good suggestions on how to ward off bad posture? Any techniques or exercises to recommend?
  • galsal
    galsal Posts: 11
    Options
    Have you noticed that you are doing a particular thing when you find your posture isn't what it should be?
  • chrrypeach
    Options
    the only thing I might recommend is to just be aware of keeping your core tight throughout the day. a yoga/pilates video that I have recommends it as a way to help strengthen the core muscles between workouts. and i've found that if I'm keeping the core muscles tight, then i tend to have better posture. try setting alarms for yourself every hour or so to remind you to keep your tummy tight and shoulders back.

as far as the hump back goes, I don't have any scientific proof, but my personal opinion is that the hump back on some of our lovely seniors is more a genetic thing and not necessarily from bad posture throughout their lives...that's just my opinion though. :)

hope this helps a bit :)
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Weight exercise to strengthen your upper back. This will pull your shoulders naturally more "back and down".

Also, constantly thinking about your posture. Shoulders down and back, and "think up". Long and tall. Also, you might check to see if an "Alexander Technique" course is available in your area. :flowerforyou:
  • staliajones
    Options
    Hi Erin! Minor irregularities in your spine can be caused from repeated poor posture while standing or sitting. Severe curvature of the spine can be a result of degenerative changes such as osteoporosis, genetic factors, or other influences.

I would recommend that above anything, don't worry or stress over it because it is wasted energy and it will age you beyond your years! :smile: Yes, realizing that there has been a gradual change is a good thing so that you can take the proper precautions in order to help your body, but also realizing that some things are just part of the aging process is also necessary.

Make sure that you take a daily multivitamin and possibly a calcium supplement that has vitamin D in it (if you don't already) or don't get enough calcium in your daily diet to build bone density and strength. Next, if you mainly sit during your job, make sure that the ergonomics of your workspace are right for you. You can do an online search for the recommended positions to create a good area. You already exercise and stretch so that helps as well, but engaging your core throughout the day can also help with your posture. If you stand a lot throughout the day, make sure that you keep your knees slightly bent and shoulders back. Your sleeping surface and positions may also have an effect on your posture. Again, you can do an online search to figure out what are the best mattress surfaces for this as well as sleeping positions (using a pillow, etc).

Hope this helps out some!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I read this in a magazine somewhere. But..you stand in front of a mirror with a straight back, put your arms up out to your sides, level (like a T). then you push your arms towards your back, hold it for like 10 seconds, and repeat a couple of time. It is a little uncomfortable at first, but I think it kinda helps. I do it whenever I need to "straighten" up:)
    Good luck!!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Try to remember when your shoulders are back, stomach in, tailbone tucked, chest lifted - you look skinnier. :laugh:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I had very bad posture my whole life, I thought I'd look like a hunchback too! Bikram yoga reversed that for me. I now stand up straight and have good posture. Since you are already doing yoga, I would suggest doing more "chest opening" moves: back bends, camel posture, standing bow pulling pose, floor bow. These are the poses that will help develop the muscles you need to keep your shoulders back & chest up. Good luck!
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :flowerforyou:
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love Pilates for this! I always feel about an inch taller after class. Not only does it make you more conscious of your posture, but by strengthening your core, it actually becomes more comfortable for you to sit up straight than to hunch over.