Help!!!!!!!! - Need to lose at least 21lb in five months

Options
Hi Guys,

First time post but been using MFP since October.

So far I have lost 19lb and I have now booked my wedding on 22nd July this year.

My ultimate weightloss aim is to lose a further 27lb but I realise that this is probably not possible within 5 months so I am willing to settle for 21lb.

At the moment I am keeping my calories under 1500 a day and currently exercising 3-5 days a week burning an average of 400 calories a time.

So far I have done really well with MFP and have been steadily losing weight but I think that I really need to up my game. When I first joined I was losing 2-3lb per week now it's 1lb if I am lucky.

Any help, tips, guidance would be really appreciated and if anyone fancies encouraging me that would be great.

Ta x

Replies

• EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    You're looking to lose 4 pounds a month roughly, so 1 pound a week should be just fine for you sounds like. You could lose more in that time period, but if that's all you need to lose set it on 1 pound and week and follow the plan. Sounds like it's working already.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    By my calculation if you want to lose 21 lb in 5months (20 weeks) and are losing roughly 1lb a week I'd say you're pretty much there, only advice I can think of is if you do the same exercise regime regularly maybe try mixing it up a bit to shock your body, eat foods it's not used to you consuming on a regular basis. My two cents I don't know much about this sort of stuff :)
  • cllmetatrsld
    cllmetatrsld Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Great job on the 19 pounds. That's exactly what I've lost too! I have also slowed down a lot to about 1 pound a week or even less. I currently have my calories set at 1400 and go to the gym 3 times a week. Do you do strength training or just cardio? My advice would be to add in strength training if you're not doing any as that will help slim you down size-wise. I also have about 21 pounds but hopefully 26 pounds left to lose. Good luck to us! Feel free to add me!
  • 2dogmom
    2dogmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your doing great. Just keep logging and exercising and you'll be fine. It is natural to for weight loss to slow down a little once you get a few months into it. 1 pound a week is still awesome.

CONGRATULATIONS
  • heyghoge
    heyghoge Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    erm, well, sad fact is that the closer you get to goal/ideal body weight, the slower you will lose? the body's a smart machine, it likes hanging on in case of emergency. the first ten pounds for me dropped off in two months. the last ten, well, here i am five months later still struggling with pushing them under the weightloss bus. on the plus side, the slow loss means i've been able to keep it off for the most part once it's gone.

what is important about that magical number 21/27, if i may ask? are you just trying to get to a certain weight, or fit into your wedding dress, something like that? if the latter, maybe focus less on the weight and more on toning instead. there are plenty of stories on here of people losing inches but not pounds.

and congrats on the special day btw. :) i'm sure it'll be awesome regardless of what the scale says. and hey, you already lost 19, that's great!
  • Jordynnsmom
    Jordynnsmom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    You sound like me! My wedding(vow renewal) is August 3rd. I totally want to lose at least 30 lbs before I buy my dress in May. I know I can do it and you can totally lose 21 by July.
    I would suggest recalculating your calories to make sure they are going to get you the amount you are aiming for. Also try Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. It is pretty good. Her video is under $10 at walmart. You can get the 1st level for free on youtube. GOOD LUCK and CONGRATS!!!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength or weight training? I would also suggest you could do two-a-days (work out once in the morning, then once after work) a couple of times a week.

Really, it just requires a bit more - more exercise, more discipline about what you're eating, etc. I think 21-27 lbs in 5 months is quite doable.

Best wishes on the wedding!
  • Hyoderrn
    Hyoderrn Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Change up your workouts, stay on track!:wink: You will be fine. I got serious in December and got an elliptical. Since December 17 I have lost 13lbs mostly from tracking calories and using the elliptical. Just started P90X last Monday and I am extremely excited to see my results at 90 days! Sounds like you are doing great, so just keep it up :smile:
  • GemmieH
    GemmieH Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks soo much everyone for your great advice.

The lb is to bring me back to the weight I was before I met my fiance 9 years ago. To get back to that will make me the smallest I have been for my adult life which would be a big achievement.

I have 5lb to lose to get back to my pre-baby weight so that is my first aim and then I just want to get as close to my 16 year old self as possible.
  • melloneill16
    melloneill16 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posts, especially mixing it up and confusing your body...it may get used to what you are doing. If you did exercise bike, per say, then maybe do kickboxing or swimming or something u r not used to doing. And split your meals up if you are not already doing so. 5-6 small even meals, limit the carbs at night...sorry if you already know all this, hope some of it helps!
  • BelleHeart
    BelleHeart Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    workout more =) try burning more calories using things like zumba and the elliptical trainer. Don't forget to do weight training also!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Look into programs like P90X2 and eat a ton of calories (aim for 1 lb per week). This way you will tone up while cutting fat to give you the look you want. This is what I did for my wedding as did my wife.