How much did I really have.. any Nutritionists?

Options
Any suggestions? For my lunch i had a lean cuisine ginger garlic chicken stir fry but there was way too much sauce for me so i ate the sugar snap peas, broccoli, chicken, and a little rice... but i left the majority of the rice. Sooo how do I alter that in my diary to reflect accurately?
Here is the nutritional info:

290 Calories
4g Fat
1g sat
2g polysat
1g mono
30mg cholesterol
640mg sodium
550mg potassium
46g carbs
4g fiber
19g sugar
17g protein

Replies

• RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I do that sometimes too.... whenever I don't eat the full meal, I still count the total calories to be on the safe side. I don't want to guess what I didn't eat and be wrong. Good Luck. It would be nice if they broke down everything in the calories.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Guesstimate how much rice you left, look up the nutrition for it, subtract it.
  • MelissaW1978
    MelissaW1978 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    If I did this, I would probably just ballpark it by saying I only ate 3/4 of the meal. I'm not very precise with my tracking at times. I'm still managing to lose/maintain though so it is working for the most part.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions? For my lunch i had a lean cuisine ginger garlic chicken stir fry but there was way too much sauce for me so i ate the sugar snap peas, broccoli, chicken, and a little rice... but i left the majority of the rice. Sooo how do I alter that in my diary to reflect accurately?

290 Calories
    4g Fat
    1g sat
    2g polysat
    1g mono
    30mg cholesterol
    640mg sodium
    550mg potassium
    46g carbs
    4g fiber
    19g sugar
    17g protein
    17x4 + 4x9 + 46x4 = 288

Subtract 1 grm fat and 25 carbs = 109
    288-109= 179????

A guess....:wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd just record the lot. And if your over by 50-100 cals at the end of the day, dont worry about it.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Here is a neat little trick. 1 gram of protein is 4 calories. Around 1-2g of protein came from the rice, so be safe, say you had 15g of protein, 15*4=60 calories for the chicken. Fat is 9 calories per gram 9*4=36. Assuming all 19g of sugars came from the sauce (not counting the small amount of sugar in the peas) if you didn't eat the rice, safe to say you only had 1/3 the carbs in the meal. 1 gram of carbs is also 4 calories. So a safe carb count would be for this amount 25*4= 100+60+36=196 calories. This might be a big higher of a count than what you actually ended up having, but it's safer to over count if you haven't exercised that day or are on a strict deficit.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options

290 Calories
    4g Fat
    1g sat
    2g polysat
    1g mono
    30mg cholesterol
    640mg sodium
    550mg potassium
    46g carbs
    4g fiber
    19g sugar
    17g protein
    17x4 + 4x9 + 46x4 = 288

Subtract 1 grm fat and 25 carbs = 109
    288-109= 179????

A guess....:wink:

You beat me! LOL, Darn. :D
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Here is a neat little trick. 1 gram of protein is 4 calories. Around 1-2g of protein came from the rice, so be safe, say you had 15g of protein, 15*4=60 calories for the chicken. Fat is 9 calories per gram 9*4=36. Assuming all 19g of sugars came from the sauce (not counting the small amount of sugar in the peas) if you didn't eat the rice, safe to say you only had 1/3 the carbs in the meal. 1 gram of carbs is also 4 calories. So a safe carb count would be for this amount 25*4= 100+60+36=196 calories. This might be a big higher of a count than what you actually ended up having, but it's safer to over count if you haven't exercised that day or are on a strict deficit.
    LOVE IT!
    I feel much better about it, but you are right to over shoot a bit.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Just log the whole thing. Lean sauce with ginger and garlic will have next to no calories as a percentage of the meal. Besides most nutritional info can be up to 20% out so you're only helping make up for the potential under-read of a potential extra 58 calories. It's negligible.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    When I do this I will just count the fraction of the meal I ate. I had a microwave dinner the other day at work and didn't eat the chicken part (I just can't stomach the preserved chicken in these things now). By looking at it before I ate it I knew it was about 1/4 chicken so I tracked that I ate 3/4 of it.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    For a 300 calorie meal it's probably not even worth it. Just put the whole thing in. But as someone else suggested I had this problem when I went to olive garden and ate all of the eggplant parmasen and none of the side of spaghetti, but instead of labeling that as half, I assumed the fried eggplant was more than half the calories and put in that "meal" and that I had 0.75 servings of it. But rarely do I chop something down like that.
  • CharityPearce
    Options
    I would count it all, aso. But it's up to you if you want to do all that math... lol
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    This is very helpful information.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'd log it all, or 3/4 of it too. I'm lazy.

I do, however, count it when I pour off all the sauce from things.... like baked beans. I have no idea how many calories are in that sauce, but I pour off as much as I can!
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!