Is there any hope of losing the tummy?

Options
First of all, I'd like to say, I've only lost 32lb (because I put on 2lbs oops) and I know I have a long way to go yet before I'm "there" but I was just wondering if there is really any hope of ever losing the tummy skin I've got, or is it likely I'll just keep going and going and not ever get "there"

I mean, don't get me wrong, I won't give up, I just kind of don't know what to expect when I've lost the weight. There is no way I;d be able to afford surgery, and I don't want to go and lose all this weight just to be even more unhappy with what I'm left with... Does that sound silly?

Is there really a chance I'll end up "normal" and not be embarrassed to wear bathers or skirts or dresses??

Maybe I'm just having a downer, and please don't post harsh comments having a go. I've always been big, and I don't know what I'm expecting to be faced with as I lose more weight.

Currently I'm on day 5 of the 30 DS and its not too bad, tried level 2 today after level 1 and got half way through. I was quite pleased with that. I'm sure in a few more days, I'll be able to do level 1 + 2 quite well. On Saturday I'm doing a 4 mile xcountry run for charity and I'm not the most unfit person I've met...

I suppose I should say I started at 220lbs and I'm surrently at 188. I turned 30 in September and realised I needed to do something - I have 2 children, 2 of which I had in the last 2 years, and I also had a miscarriage, so 3 pregnancies in a very short space of time isn't easy on a bidy, I admit.

I think I'm rambling here...sorry. Anyway, any advice, tips, help would be gratefully received. :-)

Replies

• iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    BUMP..... I was just thinking the same thing, the other day..
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have the same question !!!LOL
    i heard that its the Elasticity that is lost in the tummy, thighs, arms from weight gain and loss...so that eventually it is gone for good....but ........i have some tummy skin that i wouldnt mind saying BYE BYE to forever
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It will take time, but yes you can look "normal" be patient very patient
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Every one is different and there's really no way to spot reduce fat - you might be one of the lucky ones that comes out of it with a lovely flat belly or you may be one of the unlucky ones who despite doing every thing 'right' is still left with a lot of 'bluergh' on your stomach.

There's only one way to find out...
  • 2dogmom
    2dogmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same concerns. I've lost 30lb so far and I can see some difference in my belly, but it's still mostly just flabby rolls. I'm hoping and praying that with enough exercise and eating right they belly HAS to get a little smaller. I've even thought about getting some kind of firming lotion (like you would normally use on your face) to use on my belly after I loose another 20-30 pounds. Figure it can't hurt to hydrate the skin to firm it up.
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Tummy is going last for me too. I've lost 44 pounds, but only 3 inches from my waist. I still have another 36 to go and we'll see how it goes.

If I still have the tummy, I'll be unhappy about it but at least I'll be WAY healthier and so will you!
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    If you get your body fat %age down, and tone / build muscle, you will lose your tummy. (I have ALWAYS had a tummy, and was older than you when I had two children, so it was BAAAD). As you tone up and strengthen (esp. if you do any full body work, like circuits) your middle will get stronger, and with the body fat dropping, you'll start to see that semi-flat tummy.

I still have a little saggy / stretched skin under my belly button from my kids -- I had two 9-lb. boys, and I'm not very tall, and skin doesn't just disappear. HOWEVER, you won't notice that very much when your clothes fit better and your tummy is strong and flattened. I figure only my husband sees it, and he could care less.

You can check my profile pics -- I had a gut, and it's pretty gone now. But it's taken 9 months of work, not only with my food intake, but changing up my workouts and adding strength and core work. Just be patient -- you can get there!
  • wcsangel
    Options
    I'm so glad other people feel this way!!

I've lost almost 30lbs, but only a couple of inches off my belly. I'm hoping that, now that I'm almost down to my goal weight, more is going to start shifting off it.

I have been doing aerobics, which I've heard is good for both cardio and strengthening your core muscles. Even if there's still a good layer of fat, I'm certain that toning your ab muscles helps.
  • future_marathoner
    future_marathoner Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've got close to 200 lbs to lose. 70 is gone so far. I do a lot of abdominal work in hopes that the muscles will build up and burn the fat that is there. The more muscle the better chance you have. I also, once every 2 weeks, do a body contouring (skin tightening) wrap that tightens up my skin. I use these in hopes that 130 lbs from now i can have a semi flat belly :) Best of luck.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    There isn't any way to find out except to do it.

I'm pretty sure I'll have a bit of flab at the bottom of my tummy no matter what I do.... but as I said on another post :

Anyone who mentions the jiggly bits had better run - once I'm in shape, I'm gonna hunt ya down and beat you up!
  • malibulu
    Options
    thanks peeps - I guess I'm just worried that I still won't be happy, even when I'm much further down the line.

I have noticed a difference in my tummy...a big one...the problem is now its more wobbly than before, lol.

I can only do my best - Its my fault I'm big, I finally have my thyroxine medication right (which helps hugely) and I generally feel happier, healthier, and a touch more confident with my clothes ON!

:-) I'll just have to see what I'm like another 32lbs down the line.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's good to know there's hope for losing a tummy. Right now I'm at one of my heavier times in my life, and I've also found that as I've gotten into my mid to late 30s, it was much easier to gain weight in the tummy. =( But even when I was 30 lbs slimmer, my tummy fat was always an issue. I guess dedication and hard work will help bring some results eventually! I need to get my nutrition and exercise plans in order first.