Whats the point to exercise then?

Options

Replies

• damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<< I eat back my exercise calories!

My goal is to stay between 1200-1450 net clean calories a day... That's it!
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I asked my dietician about this and since she recommends this site to all of her clients, she made it nice and easy for me: EAT YOUR NET CALORIES FOR THE DAY.

So far, so good! Almost 16 lbs. down in about 5 weeks.

Your net calories meaning exercise or not?

Your net goal is your caloric goal on MFP so if your goal is 1300 and you burn 400 you need to eat 1700 to net 1300 (1700-400). So to hit your net goal you must eat your exercise calories.

Thank you for explaining this. As for the research it, I've just googled it and I've read it in health magazines. But now there is new research that says everyone should exercise 30 min a day.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The point isn't to just lose weight, it is to be healthier. Exercise has other benefits besides just burning calories.
  • cestout
    cestout Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I always enjoy your posts. Insightful and to the point.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Exercise makes you feel good
    Exercise makes it possible to do fun activities like hiking, skiing, etc
    Exercise builds strength and helps prevent injuries during fun activities
    Exercise might improve your overall health

Exercise allows you to eat more food!
  • Mamaincali
    Mamaincali Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love MFP to death, but I don't personally trust their calories allotted for exercise. I just don't see how they can know for certain how many calories you have burned. By eating your exercise calories, if they are not accurate, you could be overeating. I say don't eat them back, unless you are hungry. Listen to your body. If you get hungry, then eat something. But to lose weight, don't eat too much.

Mfp estimates my exercise calories a lot lower than my heart rate monitor.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I shoot for a goal of a certain amount of NET calories (1000 under my RMR). I exercise almost every day, and if I burn a lot of calories, I make sure I eat enough to get my net calorie intake into my range.

Don't confuse the recommendation of "eat back your exercise calories" to mean that you have to eat them AFTER the exercise. It really just means that if your calorie goal is 1500, that should be NET calories. If you burn 1000 calories in exercise in a day, you should eat a total of 2500 that day, but not in any specific breakdown of certain amounts before/after the exercise.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<< I eat back my exercise calories!

My goal is to stay between 1200-1450 net clean calories a day... That's it!

Why so low on the net, are you still trying to lose weight, or are you in maintenance? Your ticker shows you met your goal?? Unless you are quite short or don't weigh much, a man should not net less than 1500-1600 calories.
  • erickirb
    Options
    I asked my dietician about this and since she recommends this site to all of her clients, she made it nice and easy for me: EAT YOUR NET CALORIES FOR THE DAY.

So far, so good! Almost 16 lbs. down in about 5 weeks.

Your net calories meaning exercise or not?

Your net goal is your caloric goal on MFP so if your goal is 1300 and you burn 400 you need to eat 1700 to net 1300 (1700-400). So to hit your net goal you must eat your exercise calories.

Thank you for explaining this. As for the research it, I've just googled it and I've read it in health magazines. But now there is new research that says everyone should exercise 30 min a day.

That is for health, not weight loss.
  • Jazzyrose77
    Jazzyrose77 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Dieting helps you look good in clothing.

Exercise helps you look good naked.

THIS!!
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    All the men are saying they eat their calories back but it's different for men. It's a lot easier for men to lose. If a man and woman put in the same amount of time and effort and eat the same (according to body size) the man will most likely lose much quicker. So I think that should be taken into consideration. What works for men doesn't always work for women.
  • erickirb
    Options
    All the men are saying they eat their calories back but it's different for men. It's a lot easier for men to lose. If a man and woman put in the same amount of time and effort and eat the same (according to body size) the man will most likely lose much quicker. So I think that should be taken into consideration. What works for men doesn't always work for women.

No, the gender thing is taken into account with our caloric intake and calories burned (which are higher) other than that there should be no difference. A 500 cal/day deficit should equal a 1lb/week lose regardless of gender, the difference is a man of the same weight will get to eat more calories and still have a 500 cal deficit.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Just want to echo most responses here.

Exercise is essential for maintaining good cardiac and pulmonary health. It helps maintain muscle tone. It helps burn calories due to the "repairs" and building up of tissue in the time between workouts.

It helps relieve stress and burn off excess stuff like adrenaline and lower cortisol etc.

It has metabolic effects on the body.

It aids circulation improvements... good circulation can HELP reduce fatty deposits like cellulite building up.

Exercise burns calories so you can enjoy eating more food and better quality food and ultimately it is what we were designed for,

Developing muscle tone and endurance helps us with our every day tasks, like carrying babies, doing the shopping, doing the gardening, going up and down stairs. Keeping our bones strong and healthy etc.

So many reasons. It shouldn't be just looked at as a weight management only tool.
  • tara200
    tara200 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    Exercise is good for your body and good for your mood. If I dont exercise on a daily basis, i am REALLY cranky and miserable to be around. Exercise helps to powerhouse your body to burn more calories. If anyone thinks that a good lifestyle change does not include exercise, then they need to be educated better on the topic.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think dieting helps you lose the weight and exercising helps tone your body up so it looks better. Exercising is also just really good for your overall health. I know i can lose weight just by changing my diet, but I want to be in shape, too. I want to be able to run 5 miles without stopping. Or however many.

And yes I eat back ALL of my exercise calories. When myfitnesspal tells me I earned so many extra calories by working out, I eat them all. I ALWAYS try to make the number at the bottom (remaining calories) as close to zero as I can get it, whether I go a little over or under.
  • chubbybunnee
    chubbybunnee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Eating your calories back is not the same as not exercising. Exercising is building muscle and burning fat. You need more energy to do so. If you were to just eat less, you would lose weight but me "skinny fat" where you get soft and have less definition. When you exercise, you use your muscles and strengthen your cardiovascular and immune system, and it is good for you. It is better to exercise and then eat back the calories then to just not eat as much and not exercise or worse, eat less AND exercise!

I was losing weight very slowly in the beginning eating 1200 cals a day and exercising 300 without eating them back. I plateued a lot. I since then upped them to 1600 cals a day and burn 500-1000 during workouts and eat half to all of my exercise calories back. (When I burn 1000, it's very difficult to eat thema ll back with veggies and chicken!) I have been losing weight like crazy since I did this and I feel full, feel strong, and healthy. When I was eating less, I was always hungry, had a hard time staying under my macros goals, and and too tired to burn more then 300 cals in a workout. It makes a huge difference when you have more calories in a day (energy).

I will stand by the fact that you should definetely eat back exercise calories! Period. No one can change my mind on this because I have found that it works best for me :) My trainer agrees!
  • minadee
    minadee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Dieting helps you look good in clothing.

Exercise helps you look good naked.

^^Love this!
  • KarenLillian
    Options
    When I exercise I find it easier to say no to my cravings, since I already swet and worked hard :)