Peanut butter or eggs?

sevenfourshoreline
sevenfourshoreline Posts: 27
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
Debating which I should cut out. Both are high in fat and protein but it's one or the other. What would you choose?

Replies

• onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Both are great choices for protein. . . just eat them in moderation and you should be fine. Dont cut them out if you enjoy them.
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    If you cut them both in half it would almost be equivalent to cutting one of them out...:wink:
  • if i remember right, i think my doctor told me eggs are better for you because your body can burn off the fat easier ..i have stayed away from peanut butter totally in my diet.
  • i might be wrong tho lol :tongue:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    If you take the yolk out of the egg, all the fat goes, protein stays and calories go down to 15 cals per egg white. I usually do 3-4 egg whites and 1 egg in scrambled eggs, omelets or egg salad. I try to limit peanut butter because I can't stop once I start.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Peanut butter has a lot of sugar so I have cut it out too. If I really want something like that I use Almond Butter. Otherwise, I do eat a lot of eggs.
  • vanimami
    vanimami Posts: 433 Member
    Taht's actually a choice I struggle w/ every morning :happy: I either want an egg english muffin or an english muffin w/ peanut butter. Either way, I guess it depends on if I'm in the mood for something sweet or salty :smile:
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    It would be a sad day if I had to choose between them. I eat them both almost every day. I have an egg for breakfast because it keeps me full longer than cereal. And I eat peanut butter on a banana before I run because I find that nothing else powers me through better.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Don't cut either out. If its that much of a struggle, enjoy both in moderation?

What is the motivating factor behind the question? That might help get you some more targeted advice.
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    I eat organic fresh ground peanut butter so there is no salt or sugar added you may want to look into that. When it comes to eggs I eat 1 whole egg to 3 egg whites so you cut out the a lot of the fat that way. I couldn't make a choice between the two.
  • I eat organic peanut butter too. 1g of sugar. I'll probably start just having egg whites
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    If you take the yolk out of the egg, all the fat goes, protein stays and calories go down to 15 cals per egg white. I usually do 3-4 egg whites and 1 egg in scrambled eggs, omelets or egg salad. I try to limit peanut butter because I can't stop once I start.

Please read this before you stop eating eggs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/57791--8-the-150-healthiest-foods-on-earth
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    you should try powdered peanut butter too, I heard it's a great substitute and way less calories! you can get it in chunky too which is a plus for me lol http://www.fitnutzbutter.com/
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Fat isn't the enemy - both contain healthy fats which are *good* for you. Plus they contain protein - especially the eggs. Cutting out the yolk sucks a ton of the nutritional value of an egg right out. I mean, think about what the yolk is - a big bag full of nutrients to keep a developing chick fed through gestation.

I agree with everyone, both are good and there's no reason to ditch either one. Just use moderation.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    If you buy natural peanut butters, there is no added sugars. The fat in peanuts is very healthy for you. Eggs are also good for you. Could you please clue us in why you are wanting to cut one or the other out? That way we can maybe be of more help - otherwise I have to say don't cut out either one!
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Fat isn't the enemy - both contain healthy fats which are *good* for you. Plus they contain protein - especially the eggs. Cutting out the yolk sucks a ton of the nutritional value of an egg right out. I mean, think about what the yolk is - a big bag full of nutrients to keep a developing chick fed through gestation.

I agree with everyone, both are good and there's no reason to ditch either one. Just use moderation.

Thanks for sticking up for the yolk! An egg to me is almost the perfect food. I eat one for breakfast with a piece of whole grain double proten toast every morning for breakfast. Lunch many days is one slice of whole grain double protein bread with 1TBL peanut butter and a banana or a small amount of homemade jam.

There is no way I'd give up either!
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    Peanut butter is more of a fat than a protein. It also has a lot of sugar. It's really not very good for you. I'd do egg whites for protein. The fat is int he yolk. You can buy egg whites in a carton like milk...so easy. You can even microwave it to cook it in one minute. I do this in the office every morning with my oatmeal.
  • I already stated that I eat natural organic peanut butter that has ONE gram of sugar in it. My incentive in giving up one or the other was primarily for monetary reasons. Calories in either food aren't the issue as I cycle and typically struggle to take in 1500 calories a day.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Everyone needs to understand the importance of *good* fat in your diet. Fats deliver nutrients and protein to your muscles.

Don't cut all fat out of your diet please, for your own benefit.
  • heathcox
    heathcox Posts: 22
    I already stated that I eat natural organic peanut butter that has ONE gram of sugar in it. My incentive in giving up one or the other was primarily for monetary reasons. Calories in either food aren't the issue as I cycle and typically struggle to take in 1500 calories a day.

Then peanut butter would be the way to go....eggs are much cheaper! :smile:
This discussion has been closed.