tight chest & taste of blood when running, suggestions?

Options
so this morning i woke up for one of my first outdoor runs (5am so noone could see) :embarassed:

but i ran okay for like 2 minutes but my chest was getting tighter and i started having a bloody taste in my chest/throat..

i've done running before on the treadmill n experienced this a little but nowhere near as bad,

i want to incorporate early morning exercise into my routine, but i really cant see myself running again as 13 hours later my chest still feels tight n i'm wheezing a little and coughing.

I think it may have been how cold the air is, because when its this cold i tend to get very out of breath from walking.

i'm a non smoker, and not much of a runner,

last year i did the first 3 weeks of couch to 5k on the treadmill but thats the first time i had run since school, but then my chest problem i never noticed.

should i try fast walking for longer? will this be better for my chest?

i'd appriecate any suggesttions

thankyou :flowerforyou:

Replies

• conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Go to the Dr as soon as you can..this DOES NOT sound like something you want to ask a million strangers. Get to the DOCTOR!!!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The tight chest could be from the running. Probably you were running too hard for your current fitness level. However, the taste of blood is not normal.
  • jchester71
    jchester71 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    See a DR ASAP. As a ski patroler back in the day if I heard those complaints I would have suspected altitude related capillary bursting in the lungs which is not a joking matter. (Do you live above 5000ft?) You need to get on top of this right away, may be an indicator of something serious.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal set at?

The metallic ( blood? ) taste could be from super low calories. It's fairly common in those who are losing weight VERY quickle, especially after a gastric bypass.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Doctor. Now.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    If I don't run for a long time (like years) I get the tightness in the chest and cough up crap too but it goes away after a few days. Somewhere I heard it's because you're suddenly using more lung capacity than you usually do. I'd go see a doc for that bloody taste in your mouth though.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Get to the doctor. Yesterday! I mean it. This could be serious.

Second, if this is the first time out doors, and it's cold, that could be the cause of your symptoms. But ONLY a doctor can tell you for sure. Please get to a walk-in or something right away!
  • 57rainbows
    57rainbows Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    If it happens again, I would (as gross as it sounds) spit onto my hand or whatever's available so you KNOW whether there's blood, or if it's just a weird taste. There's a big difference between something like previous posters talk about where low calories give you a weird taste, and having blood coming from your lungs or somewhere else. You know what I mean? Definitely ask a doctor - that does not sound typical to me and I think you should make sure it's nothing serious.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Go see your DR:noway: :huh:
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It actually does seem pretty common, despite everyone responding with alarm. Google "metallic taste in mouth when running," and you'll see. I've even experienced this. Seems to happen mainly when someone is out of shape and is doing strenuous cardio. Read that it can happen when your blood sugar is low, or that it is due from increased blood flow...either way, don't panic yourself to the point of running to the ER...
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    It actually does seem pretty common, despite everyone responding with alarm. Google "metallic taste in mouth when running," and you'll see. I've even experienced this. Seems to happen mainly when someone is out of shape and is doing strenuous cardio. Read that it can happen when your blood sugar is low, or that it is due from increased blood flow...either way, don't panic yourself to the point of running to the ER...

Since none of us is there, the best advice is SEE A DOCTOR.

End of story.

I hope it is something minor. But I wouldn't trust MFP to diagnose it ;)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'd probably stick with fast walking until you get a chance to discuss the situation with your doctor. I wouldn't do it in a panic, but I'd definitely suggest calling for an appointment in the near future.

In different situations, I'll get the chest congestion/coughing after running and I'm up to running half marathon distances, so it's not necessarily related to being out of shape. I get exercise-induced rhinitis so, in my case, it's possibly related to that condition but I also live where it's very dry most of the year.
  • Pvestin
    Pvestin Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I will second that if you are concerned see a dr. Don't let this unknown stop you from exercising. That said, the taste you are experiencing is pretty common and probably nothing. You don't need to be in a panic. Going to the Dr will rule out any concerns to not exercise and you could possibly have exercise induced asthma that a rescue inhaler would help you with.
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options

This was my first thought, too. A metallic taste could also be from ketosis or dehydration. (Google told me that when I looked after this happened to me). As for the chest tightness, this is common for someone who is not used to running.

If you are concerned, talk to a doctor.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    See a doctor. None of us are medical experts, you need to see one.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Call your doctor immediately, if you haven't already done so!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Go and see your doctor. No one on here can diagnose you and neither can google. Please see a medical professional.
  • katy050692
    Options
    thankyou for all your comments,

i will go to the doctors in no urgency though, i've read up on exercise induced asthma and am pretty sure this is the cause,

i will go to my gp and see what they can do for me as i'd nothing more than to run and run :ohwell:
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how anyone on here can actually say "go to the doctor but don't rush"!! Seriously, Googling symptoms is fine if you have a toe fungus!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how anyone on here can actually say "go to the doctor but don't rush"!! Seriously, Googling symptoms is fine if you have a toe fungus!!
    Since it only happens when she runs, I don't see a reason to dial 911. My advice was sound. Most of those calling for her to run to her doctor immediately don't have any information on the subject beyond her post which might sound scary but isn't necessarily anything to be alarmed about.