C25K and my HATRED for running!

Options
2»

Replies

• Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Power walking on inclines is a great way to strengthen the legs to condition for running. I started out walking and running intervals then walking just on inclines, I went from running for 9 minutes to running 4 miles in 2 weeks. Good luck, I find that first mile excruciating as well but once you break that point, it's like you can't force yourself to stop. I alkways hated running but i so love it now.
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    here too!!! Hated running, probably because I couldn't run... Started C25K, didn't think I could do that either but I was totally wrong.. I love running now, most of all I can run....
  • paulwgun
    paulwgun Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Going back to the stretching do 5-10 min brisk walk (warm up) before doing some stretching but also stretch after your warm down
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I am not nor have I ever been a runner, I started C25K and now I find myself looking forward to it. I am just starting week 4 tonight . Do not be afraid to repeat weeks if you are not comfortable moving on, the set up is more of a guide line instead of a set in place program, listen to your body it will tell you how it feels.

Good luck!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I did NROTC for a while in college - and I was literally the slowest one in our 1.5mi run. I HATED running, got shin splints, couldn't breathe, got cramps, etc etc. I was usually in tears by the end of the run, every time.

Years later, I did the C25K (b/c I couldn't afford a gym membership!) and absolutely loved it. I repeated all of week 1 and did an extra workout of week 2, b/c I wasn't comfortable moving on yet, and there's nothing wrong with that. Take your time and go at YOUR pace, both with the workout schedule and the workout itself. I still run, and I'm still slow, but I ENJOY it, and that's what's really important with any workout regime.

To reiterate what's been said, form is very important for preventing pain/injury: Don't hunch, breathe regularly, swing your arms front-to-back, try to keep your muscles (esp the arms and back) relaxed as that really does help. I also find it helpful to smile sometimes. It naturally relaxes you, so take a moment every now and then to realize, "I'm running! I've DONE THIS! I've already gone x far, and that's an accomplishment!" And then just let the smile spread across your face and down your body. :)

Also, as far as pain prevention: pay attention to what surface you're running on: harder surfaces (concrete's the worst) can sometimes cause more pain than softer surfaces. Run in dirt/grass or on a running track when you can. And please please PLEASE do "dynamic" or "active" stretching before running; ONLY do static stretches AFTER a workout. Dynamic/active stretches includes things like arm swings and high knees - using MOVEMENT to acheive a full range of motion, not pushing/pulling on cold muscles/tendons.

Good luck! Have fun!
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I've never run before because I hated it as well. I'm about 265 pounds, and I'm starting week 4 of C25K tomorrow.

In just three weeks I've noticed:
    - I get winded less from normal activity (e.g., stairs)
    - My resting heart rate is lower (my normal used to be 75-90, and it's now 60-65)
    - I stopped taking my blood pressure medicine (diastolic was over 110 when doc put me on it a year ago. It's ~85 without meds now)
    - My muscles get tired before I get "tired" from being out of breath

Sure, the 25 pounds of weight lost is a factor in probably all of these, but the increase in my cardiovascular health is a far larger factor.
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am also afraid or hurting myself. Anyone know a good stretch workout before I actually start. I get shin splints EVERY TIME I start working out again. I really need to avoid getting shin splints because the pain gets so unbearable it puts me back on the couch for weeks healing.

ANYWAY.... ANYYYY advice would be nice. Thanks guys! <3

When I first started running, after hating it all my life and being "sick" on days we were running at school, I thought that my $50 running shoes from the local sports store would be fine. Within a week of running minimal distances, really slowly, I had the worst shin pain EVER. My friend said to go get fitted properly and invest in a good pair of shoes. That was the best advice anyone could've given me.

I went to our Running Room, they watched how I walked/ran, I tried on at least 15 pairs of shoes, and found a pair that were so light and comfortable, it was like I wasn't wearing shoes at all. They were well worth the $175 I paid for them.

Get fitted properly and invest in a really good pair of shoes!!!

(Also, to get over the hatred part, I bought an iPod and downloaded the Nike+ app. It tracks your pace, calories burned, distance run, etc. You can upload your runs to their website, see your running trends, compete in challenges with friends. Makes it a lot more fun and will help you stay interested in it longer!)
  • msrena
    msrena Posts: 21
    Options
    I started today. I lived by "I don't run unless being chased, and even then, it might be easier to stay and kick your ... " - I WANT to run, I WANT what that gives me - time to myself and my own thoughts, fresh air, FULL body work out, and the self pride of knowing that *I* did it! I'm worried about getting hurt too, but many many people are telling me that this program is set up to help avoid injury - I'm trusting them, and I'm doing it.

You can do this! Feel free to friend me... we can go through this together (and everyone else too!)
  • Amberelise40
    Amberelise40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I agree that the proper pair of shoes will help a ton. I have read that normal workout shoes will work up to 5k, but I think it's very beneficial to learn the correct way to run from the very beginning. Also, running stores will give running clinics that review your running form and properly fit your shoes. I strongly recommend this if you have one in your area.

I ran all summer last year training for 5ks. It didn't matter how much I trained, trained, trained, I struggled. I went to my doctor about it, and it turns out I have asthma. I got an inhaler, and now I can run distances no problem. I ran 5k yesterday no problem after not having ran all winter. So, that's something to keep in mind.

Also, I find that I run easier with good music. Make a playlist of upbeat songs that will motivate you!

This article from Men's Fitness helped me a lot: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1608/is_4_15/ai_54237567/ It talks about marathon running, but honestly, my wall was at 5k, lol. I think the mental wall can be all sorts of things for people, so it's worth the read.

Finally, lace up your shoes and head outside on days you don't want to run. Tell yourself you're just going to walk. Once you're out there, you'll find yourself running.

Sign up for a 5k now. Get someone else to sign up with you - someone you wouldn't want to let down by not going. Extra motivation! Good luck!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    ^^Ditto. I was just diagnosed with Exercise-Induced Asthma last month (might have been earlier if I ever went to the doctor :tongue: ) so for people who find themselves struggling to breathe even at slow paces or coughing a lot after workouts, go see your doc. It's a simple fix: use the inhaler 30min before exercise. I can breathe so much better now, and it's one less thing to hold me back!
  • lisahendrix74
    Options
    I am a runner, so maybe you don't want to hear from me! I want SO MUCH to encourage you to give running a chance though. Besides the great calorie burn (I burn over 600 on my 6.5 mile run every morning), it just gives me so much peace. Some people think running is boring, but for me, it is a time to think. I'm alone with no one needing anything from me....it's my ME time. It's when I plan my day, a birthday party, a vacation. It's when I solve problems. I can think about a million different things or just let my mind wander. Before I know it, I'm back home and my run for the day is over.

Some suggestions:
    *get an ipod and some headphones
    *wear good running shoes (I need new ones every three months or so)
    *start slow (I started with maybe 1.5 miles, then that same distance twice per day)
    *stretch after you've warmed up a bit, not when you are cold
    *have a positive attitude

People say to me things like, "I wish I could run like you do." And I tell them you can! Maybe you can't run as far as I do today, but neither could I when I first started. It just takes time and effort and unfortunately a lot of people don't want to do that.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear about your success story!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I really want to try C25K again. I started it late last fall and only got 2 weeks in before the snow/freezing cold started and I couldn't do it outside anymore and was not about to do it inside the Y in front of a buch of people. It was really hard for me though. After reading this I am wondering if maybe I don't suffer from Exercise-Induced Asthma as well. Even after losing almost 55lbs and walking every day I still get way out of breath on my walk...the same walk I do daily!

I also am not sure I can afford good enough shoes. It would take me months to save up $175! And there is no way I could spend that every 3 months, heck once a year would be pushing it. It took me 3 months to save up the $100 for my HRM.

I will have to look at my budget closely and see if I can swing it and then go talk to my doc about the asthma situation.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses but my advice.....
    GO SLOW.
    DOn't even think of it as running-- think of it as a jog. If you feel like you can't do it, don't stop-- just slow your pace. The speed can come later once you've built up some endurance.