Will I ever reach my goals? :-/

Options
Starting to wonder if I'l ever reach my goals :-( so many years of failed attempts, I'm wondering why now is gonna be any different! Don't get me wrong I want this more than anything in the world!! Just feeling a bit dubious.

Replies

• wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging in. You can do it. I think you just have to be consistant and honest. I think it really help to see calories going in compared to going out. I remember I used to think I was eating healthy, but calories add up fast and in my opinion it really helps to see what you are eating compared to what you are burning. Stick with it.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Be consistent coming here, especially in logging your food. Try not to make too many changes at once, that is a recipe for discouragement. I say be consistent first because just honestly reporting everything we eat and drink, and seeing how the number add up, has the effect of helping us say no to bad choices.

Good luck!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to. Just make up your mind to do it and you will. :smile:
  • Lucyb8585
    Lucyb8585 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'm definitely gonna stick with it!! Just feeling a bit disheartened today! :)
  • glenbabe
    glenbabe Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    if you want this more than anything in the world just hold that enthusiam and work your way forward .....log consistently and dont give up and then you will succeed....everything is possible if we put in enough effort.......never give in never surrender.....failure is not an option !!!
  • luckygirl007
    luckygirl007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I say be consistent first because just honestly reporting everything we eat and drink, and seeing how the number add up, has the effect of helping us say no to bad choices.

I am a bit discouraged too. Only lost about 5 pounds in the last 6 weeks and was hoping for better results. I do know that I am making better choices now that I have to account for them
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A lot of times people fail because they change everything at once and try to over extend themselves. For example, if you are used to eating 2000+ calories and come here and aim to lose 2 lbs, it may not work as that is very little calories. When this is an issue, it's better to shoot for 1 lb per week so you can have extra calories. Also, those who don't workout and then start can be rough on your body and hold additional water for a few weeks and people don't see weight loss... leading to a freak out. Anyone can lose weight, it just depends on where you put it as a priority.

When i first started, i had to force myself to put exercise as a prior and after some time, it did. Now I feel like crap if I don't exercise. So just keep pushing it. Its best to set short term and long term goal so you can look forward to something.
  • Skyflier83
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean... I don't seem to have lost anything since joining here and if anything the scales have been against me! But I've bought a tape measure to check that all the weights exercises I'm doing etc are working and I've decided that I need to go easy on myself sometimes too - I am not a machine and therefore I will slip up. The difference is that I can rein it in instead of going crazy.

So today I've gone over as I've enjoyed cupcakes with a girlfriend and tomorrow I won't as this time (after 12 years of stop starting diets etc) I'm in it for the long haul. You made the first step by logging on and there are so many people here behind you, have faith!
  • baddbob
    baddbob Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is a great place to be. I've made a number of friends in a short period of time who are very supportive. The secret is really to make sure you are reporting things accurately and not using estimates. Look at the various recipes and you will develop some very tasty, yet healthy alternatives to the foods you typically enjoy.

The one thing I've had to work hard to change is to not use food as a reward mechanism. Most of us who struggle with weight grew up in an environment where all celebrations like birthdays, holidays, anniversaries, etc. were surrounded with food. We reward ourselves by going out to dinner. Think about it. Start to substitute food as a reward with something else. It will make things easier.

Use your resources. Lean on your new friends. Encourage others. Get into an exercise routine. Use MFP EVERY day.

Welcome and feel free to add me as a friend if you read my profile and see any common interests.

Badd Bob
  • sukatx
    sukatx Posts: 103
    Options
    Be honest with your food diary. I know, it's hard to do that when you've lost your willpower for a day and had a binge. But tell yourself the truth. Then, when the scale "breaks", you can look back at your diary and ask yourself honest questions about why you aren't seeing the results you'd like.

I've seen a lot of other ppl saying how this community at MFP is a great place. And it is! Everything is easier and more fun when you've got friends in your corner.
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Because you're referring to yourself in the past, how you were or what you did then. Looking backward keeps you rooted in expectations based on past experience, makes you feel more helpless than you are. If you keep focusing on what's behind you, you may miss the doors opening in front of you! :smile:
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    People fail because they want it to happen fast. They get discouraged because it happens so slow.

5lbs in 6weeks is pretty much dead on for a healthy loss.

My advice?

Log faithfully.
    Don't cut all your favorites, just control portions and stay at or under your goals.
    Don't expect a miracle or instant fixes. Give your self a year to see a change.
    Don't expect yourself to give up everything you love then feel guilt when you cave.
    Stop beating yourself up over choices. If you go over today, keep it moving tomorrow. Stop dwelling in your weaknesses.

stop saying you are going to this time...and just do it.