Going to the cinema - what do you take to munch?

Options
Going to the cinema tomorrow for the 2nd time since starting my diet. I used to love big tubs of sweet popcorn but obviously can't go there.

Last time we went, I took some licorice and some 'natural' gummy sweets.

Not even a bit satisfying!! I need help! - What can I take?

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My first thought is - why do you need to have munchies? Is that maybe a habit that you could work on breaking?

If not (I get wanting to continue some things you enjoy, I still eat pizza on a regular basis), based on your comment about the candy not being satisfying enough, I'd guess something crunchy is preferred. How about bringing along a handful or two of nuts or even a nut and dried fruit mixture? Or if you've got a big enough coat or purse to smuggle, pop your own lighter popcorn ahead of time, put it in a big ziploc and stow it until you're seated.
  • dizzyblondegirlie
    Options
    bump! I need help!
  • LaurieAthGa
    Options
    I always take my own popcorn. Air popped has lower calories than the greasy, buttery movie theater stuff!
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I always take my own popcorn. Air popped has lower calories than the greasy, buttery movie theater stuff!

This!
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I bring a bag of beef jerky to get my protein up. Course I also eat the popcorn and candy too (raisinettes, love 'em). It fits my macros.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm with the "it's a movie - why do you need to eat?" crew.

It's what, 2 hours? Take a bottle of water.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Nothing. There's no law that says you have to - break the habit, after you don't eat at the cinema a few times you probably won't miss it at all.
  • Kayla165
    Kayla165 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Pistachios or Trail mix. I do not have to eat as much to feel full. Don't forget the bottle of water.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I take a snack, sometimes I don't - depends on the time of day and how long it's been since breakfast or before dinner or whatever! I like to take a handful of raw almonds or walnuts and a small handful of dark chocolate chips in a bag. I always bring water! Sometimes sliced apples, or in summer, some grapes. Whatever snack stuff I like to eat at home that's portable - that's what I'll bag up and stick in my purse for movies. :drinker:
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love to snack at the cinema, and I definitely want something if the person I am with has a bag of popcorn. I posted a request for ideas a while ago and received loads of good ones:
    -cheerios
    -grapes, cherries, blueberries
    -roasted chickpeas (if you search you might be able to find my thread which has a recipe)
    -kale chips
    -carrot sticks
    etc

Of course, bring water. But I am with you about snacking at the cinema, it is a nice little treat, but good to have healthy options.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    Jerky and a portioned out bag of nuts and water.
  • leslielightfoot
    leslielightfoot Posts: 34 Member
    Options

i did this yesterday. A small popcorn with butter was 49 g of FAT! Ack. So, I made my own microwave and added some butter - packed it up and took it to enjoy with a diet pop. i felt satisfied even though i'm a die-hard popcorn movie gal.
  • muffinwench
    muffinwench Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Last week I went to the movies and took cucumbers and Frosted Mini Wheats. 21 pieces = 190 calories. A little bit sweet, but a lot of fiber!