Meal Fail

Options
Well, today I already fell off the caloric-intake wagon. What do you do when you have one of those un-ignorable urges for, oh say, a 600 calorie chocolate bar? Me? I caved. I ate it. And didn't put it in my food journal, even though I know I should.

I just...feel like I totally suck today.

Replies

• hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am sure that we all fall off the wagon now and again. Log it, own up to it and forget about it. Start tomorrow out fresh.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    How come I never got invited to ride this wagon. I've just been wandering along this dusty road eating reasonable amounts of what I want when I want. I even find a nice double helping of my normal calorie intake during the weekends every now and then. But a wagon does sound like a much more comfortable way to get wherever you're going.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    Har. Har. The wagon is reserved for those who are ok with falling off of it occasionally ;)
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yeah, move on tomorrow is a new day. By the way....I LOVE the atkins bars....I feel like I'm eating a candy bar without as many calories!
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    No don't restart tomorrow. Restart next meal.

Every meal is a chance to make a right or wrong decision. Days are just arbitrary. Starting again tomorrow just gives you an excuse to carry on making unwise decisions for the rest of today.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    Yeah, move on tomorrow is a new day. By the way....I LOVE the atkins bars....I feel like I'm eating a candy bar without as many calories!

Fantastic! Thanks for the heads up :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I am super guilty of not logging stuff that I am embarrassed that I ate or binged on, but without logging it you really lose the accountability of it. Also, log it before you eat it, just gives you a second chance to think about if you really want to eat it. Check out ThinkThin bars or Larabars too.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    Ooh, I almost always forget about the ThinkThin bars *jots note and tapes to computer* Thanks Becky!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    You don't suck, but you should log it.

Here's what I do on those days. I truly think about the calories. Are they worth it? Will they take the place of something more nutritious I should eat later? Am I just going to blow it? If I feel the need, I indulge. This is supposed to be a journey toward becoming healthier, not about self deprivation or punishment. You have to be able to live with your food choices or you'll stop, and the journey is too important. So, if it's one of those days you really just need to indulge, do it with acceptance and joy. Relish every sticky bite. And know that tomorrow, you'll be back to a healthier food regime. One sugar filled day isn't going to destroy what you're working toward. And, in the end, may help you stay on your journey.
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Yep, was craving Chinese and ate it before checking it out....Now I'm 200+ over and have a head cold, so no working out.

Does anyone know if Guilt has calories??

*sigh*
  • jjedrey
    jjedrey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't feel that way. I spent the entire weekend off the wagon (including fried catfish, a ribeye, and several beverages). Look at your entire body of work - you spend most of your waking hours being careful of how you eat; you're entitled to a few missteps along the way. Think of it as a safe driver who sometimes catches themselves going over the speed limit, maybe even picking up a ticket. It's a bump in the road. Don't let a day (or a weekend, hah) of questionable choices derail your goals. Get back on track and don't dwell on the past!
  • funauntsherry
    funauntsherry Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yep, was craving Chinese and ate it before checking it out....Now I'm 200+ over and have a head cold, so no working out.

*sigh*

it's my opinion that guilt should actually BURN calories!! any scientific evidence? :)
  • JAM7791
    JAM7791 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Last night....tootsie rolls! Whoopsies.
  • kaylammurphy
    Options
    Don't feel that way. I spent the entire weekend off the wagon (including fried catfish, a ribeye, and several beverages). Look at your entire body of work - you spend most of your waking hours being careful of how you eat; you're entitled to a few missteps along the way. Think of it as a safe driver who sometimes catches themselves going over the speed limit, maybe even picking up a ticket. It's a bump in the road. Don't let a day (or a weekend, hah) of questionable choices derail your goals. Get back on track and don't dwell on the past!

Sounds like your weekend was DELICIOUS! Sound advice :)
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I was feeling the exact same today- I craved a Sprite after my work out- A large Sprite, it only took me over by 200 cals but I felt rubbish and thought heck- lets have a chocolate aswell.

Rather than feel bad about it I feel GREAT. In my head it means that I'm not sooo obsessed with food in an unhealthy way. Tomorrow morning when I wake up it's a new day and I'll "Behave" but every so often I think it's good to "stuff the diet" helps us enjoy life!
  • zoominzozo
    zoominzozo Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Also- don't be ashamed- log it in your food diary and move on!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

*sigh*

it's my opinion that guilt should actually BURN calories!! any scientific evidence? :)

I like the way you think! Especially since I'm still arguing with myself. I just went through the entire previous week and proved to myself I did not go over once and even had extra on every day.

*sigh*

Hello obsession.

I am completing the damn thing and getting relaxed to get rid of this damn cold so I can come back stronger tomorrow.

:flowerforyou:
  • Giantess
    Giantess Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    If I really binge one day, I cycle my calories lower the next day.

Calorie cycling has been proven to work. If you eat an average of the same calories by the end of the week, research shows that your body doesn't really care if you had one higher day and one lower day. Just forgive yourself, log it, and deduct it from tomorrow's total if you can.

You'll be okay, and feel better for having a little treat.

Just don't make a habit of the big candy bar every day.