Can exercise help Anxiety??

Options
Hey everyone, I suffer from anxiety, and was just wondering if there is ANYONE on here, that has suffered with anxiety, and started working out, and then that helped them??

Thank you all in adavance!!!

Replies

• brismom070897
    brismom070897 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    From my own personal experience.....ABSOLUTELY!!
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. For me a high/moderate intensity work out over 15 minutes does it for me,
    also outdoor walking/hiking (walking in treadmill won't do the trick).

Also you should look into meditation and deep breathing techniques.
    It would help you to be conscious what's going in your mind and can control the mind better.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Simply, yes. I used to suffer from anxiety and depression. Exercise does help regulate both.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Seems to help a lot. But not a complete "cure", at least for me.
  • JAM7791
    JAM7791 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Holy moly yes! Big time!
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Running helps me manage my anxiety greatly!
  • drea0703
    drea0703 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Same here. Especially lifting weights does the trick for me. It makes me feel stronger and more in control. Hope you´ll find your way, though. Anxiety can be beaten!!!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps, but hasn't made it go away or anything like that. Just more manageable overall.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    YES! I haven't had a panic attack in months now. :smile:
  • j3nn14er
    Options
    Simply, yes. I used to suffer from anxiety and depression. Exercise does help regulate both.

agreed
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. For me a high/moderate intensity work out over 15 minutes does it for me,
    also outdoor walking/hiking (walking in treadmill won't do the trick).

I agree with the walk outside. I suggest this many people and they thank me in the end. Also weight lifting helps me and I have to get back to that.
  • petreebird
    petreebird Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Definitely helps!! But yeah, you have to do it in a way that you are also visually stimulated and distracted...so outside is great!! Not a complete cure, but it does help!
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Wow I didnt expect to get replies that soon! Thank you ALL for the replies, I appreciate it!! Its nice to know if I start working out that it could possibly help with my anxiety! Thanks again!!
  • llahairdna
    llahairdna Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Exercise is HUGE in reducing stress and anxiety. In fact, when I got divorced 3 years ago, the only thing that kept me from blowing up his house was late night trips to the gym!
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yoga + power walking
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I find it's helped me too. I have panic attacks and anxiety, plus depression. When I work out, the endorphine rush really helps my moods.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Often I'll get panic attacks triggered by the adrenaline, but you even learn to work through those. It helps lessen anxiety no end and it helps you cope with attacks more too, in the long run. You might find it really difficult at first but it is very worth it.
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    YES! I have suffered with anxiety for 15+ years....and I noticed a huge difference since I started working out on a regular basis.
  • ohnuts14
    ohnuts14 Posts: 197
    Options
    I've suffered with horrible anxiety my whole life, and I do have to say... when I began working out everyday, after a while... everything just kind of balanced out. I've always felt like I had no energy, but after a month or two of making myself work out everyday, not only did I have more energy in social situations... but I also felt more relaxed as well, if that makes sense. I didn't feel nervous or anxious, I started to feel kind of care free, something I don't think I've ever experienced lol. So yeah, I definitely think it can help! I've also come to rely on exercise when I'm feeling anxious and stressed out. Normally I'd always resort to binge attacks, but now more often than not, exercise is my new xanax. :P
  • sarabelle0
    sarabelle0 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    100% YES!!!