Can exercise help Anxiety??

Options

Replies

• jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! The reasons why are covered in detail in the book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by Ratey. He also talks about addiction, stress, depression and ADD. It is a great book. It hs motivated me in a different way than I have been in the past.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Exercise is HUGE in reducing stress and anxiety. In fact, when I got divorced 3 years ago, the only thing that kept me from blowing up his house was late night trips to the gym!

Love it! lol
  • sassygamma
    sassygamma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Yes absolutely it does, I am a high anxiety person also, and when i do exercise it makes me feel so much better....
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It does.

I was able to stop taking my anti-anxiety meds.

I'm over the moon thrilled with that.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Personal experience answers YES FOR SURE!!!!!
  • helloflopsy
    Options
    YES

for me, over eating and caffiene makes it so much worse

exercise helps! a walk every day makes my brain feel less muddled :)
  • Samiwhereareyou
    Samiwhereareyou Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I have had sever anxiety and paranoia so much that it was hard to leave the house. Yoga has helped a lot and meditation. finding a safe place to work out if key. I started running and kick boxing for practical reasons or running away or punching harder but when it came to running outside at night I would get spooked. So afternoon runs I find work best for me. I hope you find peace I know how caged in anxiety can feel.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Exercise releases endorphins which in turn decrease anxiety. :)
  • trishadawn83
    Options
    I suffer from depression and anxiety and i have noticed a big change ....:) Keep at it.. it wont go away but it ill be manageable..
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    RUN! RUN! RUN!

It's a miracle cure...you work out all those things that make you nuts and cause the anxiety...or at least the endorphins kick in and the anxiety lessens!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It also helped with my ADD. I am so much more focused and less stressed. I actually crave my workouts because they help to "regulate" me without anti-depressants or ADD meds!!!!
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! It's not the only thing I've done that's helped, but it's certainly a big one. Both in the immediate sense, and in a more lasting way.

I've also found that when I eat healthier, and engage more in my food choices (i.e. finding recipes and cooking healthy foods) and drinking more water help.
  • Soapstone
    Soapstone Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Anxiety, depression, insomnia.....YES! All of these!
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I definitely think so! I have mild depression and OCD and it really helps alleviate that stress. :)
  • erilynbmore
    erilynbmore Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps. I also take medication and most days I have no anxiety at all and it was bad.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Yes!

It definitely helps! (I say this from personal experience dealing with both depression and anxiety)
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I think you have to find what type of exercise helps you. I found water aerobics and moderate walking were helpful.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    From my own personal experience.....ABSOLUTELY!!

:sad: >>::exercise::>> :happy:
  • beccadaniixox
    beccadaniixox Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Very much so! :)
    Since I've started working out regularly I've been a lot calmer and my OCD has been a lot less also.
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    for me absolutely 100%

I've had anxiety for years that has progressively gotten worse the less active I was. I was always a very anxious person but in my childhood/teenage years I was very active with competitive riding and never really had a problem. I stopped riding and in a nutshell went downhill after that with my activity level - my anxiety level increased to the point where i finally had to be put on medication.

Last summer at my highest point of anxiety (lowest point of existing?) I decided to make the change in my health for the sake of getting out of the house and doing something. I joined a bootcamp here in town and within a month I was already feeling better. I took a month off and at the end of it, my husband was already signing me up to continue as he could tell that I was better off with the intense level of activity. I'm now 6 months in straight, my eating habits are better, I'm lower in weight and body fat, and my anxiety (and OCD tendencies) these days is next to nothing. I sleep better, I think better, I work better. I'm usually pretty terrible during the winter months with SAD and I've not once had to bring out my Litebook for light therapy this season and I hope it continues.

One other thing I experienced with my "revelation" last summer was a full blood workup testing specifically for my B vitamin levels. I was in the "Danger zone" for my B12. Since being on supplements for that as well, my anxiety has lessened. Something to think about