Does anyone have the Fitbit?

Options
I'm looking for someone who has the Fitbit. Would love to know what you think about it and how it works for you.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit, but I do have a bodybugg (which I love). I have heard people say they love the fitbit, but I don't understand how it can be all that accurate. From what I've read, it sounds like a fancy pedometer (measures steps) and I can imagine all kind of ways for it to be inaccurate. It's nice that MFP has it integrated (I hope they do that for the bodybugg/body media fit), but I would be concerned about trusting it for anything more than measuring my steps. But be sure to do lots of research before spending money on it. For as many people who I've heard love, I've heard at least as many say the opposite.

I'll repeat - I've never used one, so I'm only giving my opinion based on what I've heard/read. I could be completely wrong. Just wanted to throw that out there before anyone gets their undies in a bundle :smile:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Bump - Still looking for a FitBit owner!
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    There's a whole group of us here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
    Come join us! :)
  • petuniah
    petuniah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm a Fitbit owner and I love it! I also have the BodyBugg that I love too, but I am thrilled with the Fitbit syncing up to MFP with no assistance from me. All I have to do is remember to start the time when I start my workout and stop it when I am done. For $99 I find it worth it. I also like that the Fitbit website is free, unlike BodyBugg. However, if BodyBugg ever syncs with MFP, I will have a hard time choosing!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have one. It's cool for tracking stats. I've had it for a week and don't trust the calories burned numbers and zero out my FitBit to MFP adjustment every day and use my HRM numbers. That said, I like it and would buy it again.

There is an MFP group with an extensive number of threads and posts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Yep - and here is a blog post comparing my personal experiences with the BodyBugg and the Fitbit!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kaitimae/view/fitbit-vs-bodybugg-206759
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you do a Search on the word "Fitbit" you will see 50 pages on the Fitbit.

I don't have one yet, but it is set to be my reward when I have lost my 2nd 20 pounds. I'm really looking forward to it. :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • aapr04
    Options
    I have a bodybugg and never got to use it ...:( It will not work with my computer and the company will do nothing to help me out ... So if you are going to get one make sure it works with your system.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just got mine the other day. I'm not really happy with it. Basically, it is a glorified pedometer. It does not track anything at the gym such as workouts or cardio equipment such as steppers and/or ellipticals. I haven't tried it on a treadmill yet. It keeps track of your steps and stairs you go UP not down. I am already looking into heart rate monitors to track the calories I burn at the gym. A Fitbit might be good to tell you what you burn (sorta) in your daily activity if you are pretty active. Today is my 1st day of wearing it to work so we'll see. It says it keeps track of your sleep, but from what I can tell it just keeps track of how long you are still.
  • MsMo4DE
    Options
    There's a whole group of us here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1290-fitbit-users
    Come join us! :)

I'm still waiting for my Fitbit to arrive but have already created a profile at fitbit.com. I just joined this group here with the link above. :smile:
  • anner53108
    Options
    I just posted a review. I've had a Fitbit for a few weeks now:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/489011-fitbit-review-with-pros-and-cons
  • petuniah
    petuniah Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yep - and here is a blog post comparing my personal experiences with the BodyBugg and the Fitbit!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kaitimae/view/fitbit-vs-bodybugg-206759

Well written! I agree completely!
  • alil2loveable
    alil2loveable Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am an owner of the FITBIT and for what I wanted and needed it for I absolutely love it.... Again I say I love it. It tracks my steps and since having it I have gone from 4500-6000 steps to 20,000-25,000 steps averaging 10 miles a day. So for me it has got me moving and made me more cautious of taking stairs as oppose to elevators, of parking further away instead of close. It does not track going down stairs because it easy to go down a flight of stairs than walking up them and even in that I went from no stair climbing to I am now climbing 100 flights a day needless to say my body, health and weight is looking nice. I am not really concerned about HRM; Calories and all that stuff, as I follow weight watchers points system for my daily eating.

All that said, just figure out what you really need your device to do before purchasing anything. I can say this as far as the calorie counting on the FITBIT goes it is actually based on how slow or fast your moving. For example if you take 2 hours to walk 5 miles your calories will be lower and if you take 1 hour your calories will show higher. This I have tested one weekend because I wanted to know how accurate the calorie out put really was.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and like it. I estimate calories if I do stuff in the gym (lift weights, etc.) as it is a step counter first and foremost. It seems to work well for my zumba and power punch classes. HRM does not work well with me as I take a beta-blocker which slows heart down. I've used other pedometers and simple HRM (wrist) previously. I take all calorie counts etc with a grain of salt (both those for food and those for exercise). Just trying to keep what's going in to be less than what's going out!

Bodybugg looks interesting but there's an ongoing cost to use (about $9/month). For my purposes, a one-time payment of $99 fits better!
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It's the only thing I consistently use. I love the new feature where MFP takes fitbit data and adds it to your exercise, adjusting your calories for the day. I've had mine over a year now.
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    My mom hasn't stopped talking about the silly little thing since she got it for Christmas. XD She's Malanu on here, hit her up. Tell her that her daughter sent you.

I kinda want one too just to see just how well I'm NOT sleeping. Ugh.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fitbit, but I do have a bodybugg (which I love). I have heard people say they love the fitbit, but I don't understand how it can be all that accurate. From what I've read, it sounds like a fancy pedometer (measures steps) and I can imagine all kind of ways for it to be inaccurate. It's nice that MFP has it integrated (I hope they do that for the bodybugg/body media fit), but I would be concerned about trusting it for anything more than measuring my steps. But be sure to do lots of research before spending money on it. For as many people who I've heard love, I've heard at least as many say the opposite.

I'll repeat - I've never used one, so I'm only giving my opinion based on what I've heard/read. I could be completely wrong. Just wanted to throw that out there before anyone gets their undies in a bundle :smile:

yeah this is what i feel i have body bugg and was looking at both of them but chose body bugg so cant help but if you ever want the body bugg i can help ya out :)
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm a fitbit newbie (just got mine last week) and I love it so far. I'm really impressed with all the things it does to be a tiny device...especially giving critical data like "sleep quality."

I am pretty short so I had to calibrate my stride to get the mileage correct, but once I figured that out... it's been great little device to really get me to get more steps in per day!
  • I HAVE A FITBIT AND I LIKE IT.. IT COFUSED ME AT FIRST BECAUSE WHEN I LOG INTO MFP W IT IT SOMETIMES DOUBLE LOADED STUFF AND THE CALORIES SEEMED A LITTLE LOWER THEN WHAT THE MACHINE AT THE GYM WOULD SAY BUT ALL IN ALL A GREAT LIL DEVICE I LIKE SEEING HOW IT WORKS HOW WELL I SLEPT THE NIGHT BEFORE..