Quinoa - superfood

Options
I was recently told about the grain quinoa, it tastes and looks a bit like cous cous and can be use as a subsitute for pasta and rice, however, here's the great part, it digests as a protien and not a carb!

I have been eating it instead of pasta and rice in the evenings (I am trying not to eat carbs past 5pm) and I have noticed a difference!

I have to say it's not great on it's own, it needs a sauce like a bolognaise, curry or chilli but I have got used to it and actually really enjoy it!

I just thought I would share this as I was glad it was shared with me :-)

Replies

• DenimDiva
    Options
    I just started using Quinoa a few weeks ago. I love it with salsa, or cook it with garlic!
  • mcljess
    mcljess Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Quinoa! I usually add it to salads. Recently I made a Quinoa, spinnach, and sausage dish with it and it was amazing. I add garlic and fat free salad dressings to it to zip the flavor factor up.
    :)
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa, but it's kind of pricey. I'm a big fan of bulgur wheat, which is also pretty good!
  • mebinathens
    Options
    I rather starve to death
  • hootinowl
    Options
    I love quinoa. There's also quinoa pasta :) try udi's gluten free bread!! it's amazing!!
  • HeaderAutumn
    HeaderAutumn Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa, but it's kind of pricey. I'm a big fan of bulgur wheat, which is also pretty good!

Look in the bulk bins at your grocery store. I got mine for $2.00 a pound.
  • WillowBreeze
    Options
    I Love Quinoa! Because it is pricey I have bulgar wheat too :)
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    You can also use it for a breakfast cereal in place of oatmeal. I also make it into a chicken stir fry. Tastes better than stir fry rice.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I made some last night. Just had the idea to squeeze fresh orange juice into it and finely chopped mint. It was really good!
  • christy_v79
    Options
    The trick is to saute the quinoa lightly with a little olive oil, before you cook it, I use half low sodium chicken broth and half water to add flavor to it, sauteing the quinoa beforehand helps it retain a great grainy texture :)
  • leahalissa
    leahalissa Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it. Great in burritos cooked with lime and cilantro, or as oatmeal with a little brown sugar. Also good as a base for saucy meals instead of rice. It's so ridiculously versatile, and takes on any flavors naturally :)
  • MichelleMcClung
    Options
    I agree!! I just recently started using Quinoa too and I LOVE it!!! I'm a big rice and pasta person so this is a GREAT substitute for people like us! It fills you up and it satisfies my craving for pasta and rice....I'm in LOVE! :o)
  • DenimDiva
    Options
    I did find out the hard way that you must RINSE it before cooking!
  • KaitieBug
    KaitieBug Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    i'm a BIG fan! try adding a little low sodium broth like veggie, chicken, beef, etc., to the water when you cook it. yum!:happy:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to make the switch...Mind giving me a few suggestions on how to cook it up? I have a rice steamer, can I make it in there?
  • Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Excellent, I just bought some today, I will give it a chance!xx
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    I've been meaning to make the switch...Mind giving me a few suggestions on how to cook it up? I have a rice steamer, can I make it in there?

I'm sure you could. I cook rice in a regular pot though... just 1:2 ratio grain to water. 20 mins on simmer after boiling at the beginning. It's so simple.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My son had this in his kitchen and told me it's a seed. He and his wife are on a grain free diet. I have some now just need to find how I like it best. The last time I ate it I got very constipated and so have been nervous about eating it again. :sick: :embarassed:
  • jlj9287
    jlj9287 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had never even heard of quinoa until I found this recipe (http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2010/10/quinoa-salad-with-pears-and-baby.html) and since I tried it, it is the best thing that I have discovered so far in my weight loss journey. If fact, for dinner tonight, I made quinoa stuffed peppers (http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10896). Delicious!
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I eat at least a box of Quinoa a week. It's a staple in my diet.