Do you trust your scale??

Options
my scale gives me a different number in different locations of my kitchen. when i do my weigh in on Saturdays I go through a crazy ritual of weighing myself 20 times - each time in a different location of the kitchen. whichever number comes up the most is the one I use... today was a good day and I got the same number 14 times... the other six were lower numbers but all different.

I think it might be time for a new scale. :laugh:

any suggestions for an inexpensive scale? Im on a seriously tight budget!! (like non existant)

Replies

• sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I reckon it depends on the surface you put it on!

I weigh heavier on one tile and lighter on the one beside it. If I do it on the wooden floor I could be lighter on one side of the room than the other AND I'm 1lb lighter on my gym scales.

I think just pick a spot and leave them there ☺
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    I recently purchased a Taylor Glass Bodyfat Scale from Target which seems to do better than previous scales I've purchased. Calculates the same weight in both the bathroom and kitchen where there is vinyl. Cost $30. Not sure if this is in your price range or not but so far id say it was a great purchase.
  • liegeygirl
    liegeygirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My hubby doesn't trust our scale, but I think its doing its job. BUT...I do think we may consider getting another scale soon. We are loosing weight and want to be able to have evidence of that, so we may go for another one. I think we should start checking online reviews of different scales because people really do review and leave honest feedback. LOL.
  • Jodi827
    Options
    Ok -- my scale came up with an E (Error) message this morning -- so, no, I don't really trust my scale. :laugh:
  • anabell31
    Options
    I bought a new scale over the weekend. When I stepped on it, it told me I weighed a little over 180, nearly ten pounds more than my last weigh-in. I tried the digital scale at my gym and it told me 171. So I'm either going to adjust my scale to reflect the right weight or just stick to using the one at the gym

Edit: Oops, just saw that you were asking for suggestions for new ones. Not the cheapo $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond!!
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    OP... I have the same exact problem. I DO NOT trust my scale, lol.

I do plan on researching scales and purchasing a new one soon. I need to have a better sense of my progress and the scale I have now gives me a sense of confusion.

Look forward to suggestions on what other people use.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Chose 1 spot & leave it there. Walmart has some decent ones for like $20. I got mine there
  • pmich08
    pmich08 Posts: 193
    Options
    Absolutely not.
    So I weigh several times each morning, and when I get the same number I still think it must be off haha.
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Scales are evil and are enjoying messing with the human race WAY TOO MUCH.
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    When I turn mine on, after I do the little *step on it to turn it on* thing and it "zeros out" it still shows 2.5-3 pounds on the scale.

Because air totally weighs 2.5-3 pounds?

So no. I don't trust the stupid thing. XD We definitely need to get a new one, but alas, being a broke college student!
  • Tubby2Toned
    Tubby2Toned Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've got a digital one that also does bf%.
    I trust it to be "ballpark".

As an experiment I checked my bf% just before eating a GINORMOUS T-bone steak.
    I checked it directly after eating the steak 30 minutes later and my bf% was 4% higher.
    Whatever that means...
  • carrotstick2012
    Options
    I don't trust my scale but I put it on the same tile and what it does do is show downward movement so it shows me that I am making progress. That's good enough for me. When I hit my goal I will probably get a new set of scales.
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Not sure I trust any scale! I always weigh 3 or 4 lbs heavier on the Dr's scale than on mine!
    I even bought a new scale that calculates your body fat and water weight. I really love it. But it is still dosn't match the Dr's.
  • mamalade1
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Premium-Bathroom-Technology/dp/B002MK6QKO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1329179609&sr=8-2

We just ordered this one ^. Haven't received it yet, so can't vouch for it, but I did some research & this one got really good reviews. We had two Taylor scales previous to this one and both of them had problems.
  • revstuart
    Options
    I think the secret is to do it (weighing I mean) in the same place at the same time each week and then it is always out or accurate the same. Make sense?:glasses:
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My taylor does the adjustment.
    If I move my scale to another location or just a inch, I do the light tap and it would adjust back to 0.

I do weight myself almost every day but I don't believe the scale if it said I gained 2 lbs overnite
    but I do believe it when it said I lose 2 lbs :)
  • ChrisGoldn
    ChrisGoldn Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Chose 1 spot & leave it there.

This is correct.. Stop moving it cuz whatever it says in the one spot it will always say.... The next day when u step on it if it's lower or higher then that's what u lost or gained whichever way it moved.

Also good practice is to pick a certain point in day to weigh urself. Be it in the morning or afternoon or night... Do it at that time each and every time u weigh urself . You get a more accurate reading that way.
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I just actually found out that mine is totally NOT accurate... not even close and it thinks I always weigh the same, no matter what... :( So I'm getting a new one tomorrow!
  • gaylelynnbell
    gaylelynnbell Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Yes I do. Mine is always very close to my doctor's scale. I take into account that when I weigh at home, I am in my jammies first thing in the morning. At the doc's office, I am fully clothed (usually jeans) and wearing my shoes. I generally weigh 2-3 pounds more there.

I have a digital HealthOMeter that I bought a few years ago at Walmart. I think I paid about $30 for it and it's been reliable.
  • mmtrnr
    mmtrnr Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Most digital scales need to recalibrate once they've been moved . The directions for my scale states to step on it twice... the second reading being the "accurate" one. I sometimes step on it a third time just to check. The second and third readings are always the same. But I don't move it in between readings.