Can exercise help Anxiety??

Options

Replies

• RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For me, it helped like you wouldn't believe. One more reason I'm excited to get back to the gym after having my second daughter 3 weeks ago.
  • DonnaLRB
    DonnaLRB Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Anxiety, depression, insomnia.....YES! All of these!
    Absolutely! Especially walking outside! And having 2 adorable pups to walk that give you unconditional adoration doesn't hurt, either! ;-)
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    ABSOLULUTELY YES!!!!

I have GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). My anxiety also gives me pretty bad temporomandibular joint disorder due to clenching and tightness.

Eventhough I have a custom mouth splint that I am supposed to wear at night, excercise is the number one thing that helps me!! I don't like being medicated, and if I go a couple weeks without excercise my symptoms come back like a tidal wave.
  • itontae
    itontae Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Google "23 1/2. Hours"
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Most definitely.
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    100%. Six months ago, when I moved away from home, I couldn't COPE. I was homesick, depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts and broke down from anxiety three or four times a week. Since I started working out and eating better, though, I've FELT better physically and my moods have been uplifted.
  • melissainez85
    Options
    YES!!! SINCE I STARTED WALKING OUTSIDE I HAVE LESS ANXIETY AND MY MOODS HAVE IMPROVED...i use to walk in place indoors but one day i just took a walk outside and I LOVE IT i listen to music or if my anxiety level is really high i just have like mini therapy sessions with myself in my head as i walk i know that sounds crazy but it really helps gather my thoughts and i sleep better at night...i really have no control with the anxiety it comes and goes and any thing can trigger an attack of tears and chest pain but since i started the outdoor walks iv had no problems!!
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Definitely does. You might find this article interesting/ informative: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression-and-exercise/MH00043
  • blessmy5
    Options
    Absolutely! The reasons why are covered in detail in the book Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by Ratey. He also talks about addiction, stress, depression and ADD. It is a great book. It hs motivated me in a different way than I have been in the past.

Okay - I have to have this book now. I've always know for my hubby and son that exercise helps them both physically and mentally, but now I'll have the actual evidence. Thanks for sharing this book with us!!!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    YES!!! I'm off all of the medication I was on before because I'm working out regularly.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For me, it has helped a LOT! But I also added a good food-based daily vitamin to the mix since I started working out pretty hard back in August. So that probably helps too. I still get anxious around TOM, but overall I feel MUCH better. I work out probably 5x/wk. I hope it helps you!!!
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Wow! So much info and advice!! Thank you ALL very much!! My anxiety is horrible at the moment, and seeing how much exercise has helped all of you guys, gives me hope that it could help me too!!

Again, thank you all...You all rock!! =)

Ashley
  • MissConfidence
    Options
    Yes.
    Google "23 1/2. Hours"

THIS!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Can you say HELLS to the YEAH... :)
  • thogston
    thogston Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Definitely it does , it is such a stress reliever and clears the mind. Excellent doctor exercise is !
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Yes! Absolutely.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I still take my zoloft, but I'm getting better results with the zoloft AND exercise than I did with just the zoloft.
  • amanda776
    Options
    Absolutely! I have been struggling with anxiety the past couple of years. I was on meds for about 2 months and I hated the way they made me feel. One spin class or high intensity workout is better than any medication!
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I honestly didn't want to believe it when the doctor said exercise helps anxiety and depression, but the truth is, it really does! And I wouldn't have believed this even 1 year ago, but exercise actually helps increase energy and motiviation. : )
  • nuttyengineer
    nuttyengineer Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I have struggled with anxiety and depression for a couple of years and I have to say, the difference in my mood when I have been exercising vs. being sedentary is enormous. I am usually much happier afterward.

The best way that I've found to deal with it is to go for a walk outside. Between the fresh air and the sound of nature it does a good job of calming me down.