Quinoa - superfood

Options

Replies

• prettybub
    prettybub Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Love Me some Quinoa. It is amazingly versatile. I have done a spin off of this recipe...

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/

TO. DIE. FOR.
  • angee1126
    angee1126 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Recipes would be great for us newbies to Quinoa....I've heard a lot about it but have NO idea how to cook it.... :blushing:
  • jhyan
    jhyan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Recipes would be great for us newbies to Quinoa....I've heard a lot about it but have NO idea how to cook it.... :blushing:

Cook it like rice... but give it a quick rinse before cooking to remove soapy tasting substances naturally found on quinoa.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    ...here's the great part, it digests as a protien and not a carb!

I don't mean to sound negative, as I also love quinoa, but would someone care to back that one up with some science? I certainly don't see how a grain that is high in carbohydrates & moderate in protein levels, could be "digested as a protein."
  • amoeba15
    amoeba15 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is quite awesome. I like to use it in salads as well and sometimes I sub it in soups that normally call for rice.
    I like quinoa, but it's kind of pricey. I'm a big fan of bulgur wheat, which is also pretty good!

Look in the bulk bins at your grocery store. I got mine for $2.00 a pound.

It's $1.29 a pound for me. :-D
  • amoeba15
    Options

I don't mean to sound negative, as I also love quinoa, but would someone care to back that one up with some science? I certainly don't see how a grain that is high in carbohydrates & moderate in protein levels, could be "digested as a protein."

It is a complete protein (contains all of the essential amino acids) which is another reason why I love it (I'm vegan) but this "digests as a protein" thing is bunk.
  • acciocci
    Options
    I'm uncertain as to whether or not it digests as a protein but it I do think it is the only complete vegetarian protein (contains all essential amino acids) . That could be the reference....

That said, I use it in place of rice almost exclusively! Love it- a big bag at costco was relatively reasonable and has lasted forever.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just had some with dinner !!!!:smile:
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I add it on a whim to various things, like cottage cheese. My housemate and I use it and chia seed to supplement our mostly vegetarian diets and it's been fantastic!! I personally like it "raw", as a garnish, but you have to be acclimated to that type of thing I think. Chia seed, per serving, is cheaper, so that's where we get most of our plant proteins. Chia, by the by, has more vitamin content.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I rather starve to death
    omg hahahhah i was thinking the same thing
  • OseaHello
    Options
    I LOVE quinoa!! It tastes good and is easy to make. I get the organic quinoa at Costco..yum yum!
  • yellowdog77
    Options
    Ok this may be a crazy question but how much does 1/4 dry quinoa make? Have a box but have not cooked it because I was not sure how to add it to my food diary once it was cooked.

Thanks
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Ok so being as it is a sub for rice and pasta. Both of which I love, I am going to have to give it a try. I have been trying not to have pasta as often and I think I have had rice once since I started this 35 days ago so this is gonna be good. I want to make a stir fry this weekend. Any good suggestions are appreciated.
  • JulaMonster
    JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
    Options

It is a complete protein (contains all of the essential amino acids) which is another reason why I love it (I'm vegan) but this "digests as a protein" thing is bunk.

Indeed, I think the confusion here is that it is a complete protein (the only grain which is a complete protein, by the way), which is why it can seem 'better' or more filling than rice or some other grain. (In comparison, rice is not a complete protein, and so to be truly nutritionally beneficial, needs to be eaten with another protein (partial or whole), like with beans or meat. Beans and rice anyone?) However, it still contains carbohydrates, so consider it both a protein and a carb (rather than just a carb, or just a protein).
  • JulaMonster
    Options
    And for my family, quinoa is as much a staple as any other grain or starch. If it weren't so pricey, I'd never buy rice again and only cook quinoa. For newcomers to quinoa (which is pronounced KEEN-wah), it is best when cooked just like you would rice, but with chicken stock (or veggie stock, etc) instead of plain water. It is excellent with diced mushrooms and onions (cooked along with the quinoa), and is great with stirfry. It has much more flavor than rice, it's nutty and rich, so it goes best with other rich, flavorful foods (roast chicken, beef or pork dishes, salmon, etc).
  • amoeba15
    Options

Indeed, I think the confusion here is that it is a complete protein (the only grain which is a complete protein, by the way), which is why it can seem 'better' or more filling than rice or some other grain. (In comparison, rice is not a complete protein, and so to be truly nutritionally beneficial, needs to be eaten with another protein (partial or whole), like with beans or meat. Beans and rice anyone?) However, it still contains carbohydrates, so consider it both a protein and a carb (rather than just a carb, or just a protein).

The thing about combining proteins is a myth from a book in the 70s. The author of the book actually now states that you don't need to combine. You see, your body "pools" all of the amino acids together so as long as you're eating a balanced diet you're fine. You don't have to combine your foods at each meal.
  • JulaMonster
    Options
    Quinoa is quite awesome. I like to use it in salads as well and sometimes I sub it in soups that normally call for rice.
    I like quinoa, but it's kind of pricey. I'm a big fan of bulgur wheat, which is also pretty good!

Look in the bulk bins at your grocery store. I got mine for $2.00 a pound.

It's $1.29 a pound for me. :-D

Goodness! It's $4.99/lb for me, I think the cheapest I've ever seen is $3.59 :sad:
  • JulaMonster
    Options

The thing about combining proteins is a myth from a book in the 70s. The author of the book actually now states that you don't need to combine. You see, your body "pools" all of the amino acids together so as long as you're eating a balanced diet you're fine. You don't have to combine your foods at each meal.

While that is true, you can still get complete protein from one incomplete food source, you won't get as much out of it as if you combined it with another source. Most foods we consider incomplete proteins still contain all the amino acids, just not in the optimal ratios for us to make those into complete proteins. For a food to be considered a complete protein, it has to have all the amino acids in the best ratios. And no, you don't have to combine foods in each meal, but to get the most benefit the meals should be back to back (as in beans for lunch, rice for dinner). I have a feeling this 'pooling' effect would last only as long as any given food remains in your digestive system :wink:
  • bjfrezell
    Options
    I've read that it's yummy with a splash of milk, a teaspoon of brown sugar, and some raisins. I've tried it warmed with blueberries, milk, and truvia for breakfast.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    The trick is to saute the quinoa lightly with a little olive oil, before you cook it, I use half low sodium chicken broth and half water to add flavor to it, sauteing the quinoa beforehand helps it retain a great grainy texture :)

OMG thats what I do too! I also throw in a TON of garlic :D