bigger, lighter breakfast?

Options
lisam829
lisam829 Posts: 110 Member
I am having a very hard time getting all my calories, and I know its because I am not eating a big enough breakfast. I usually eat yogurt and a breakfast bar with a cup of green tea, about 200 calories. I can't eat anything too heavy, because I work at a computer sitting down for 8 hours, and if I eat a heavy breakfast, like a bagel, I get very sluggish and sleepy. Is there anything you can think of that I can add to breakfast to up my calories, but not slow me down? Or am I just being difficult?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Turn your yogurt into a fruit smoothie by blending with fruit and milk or juice, maybe some protein also.
  • FletcherChic
    FletcherChic Posts: 158
    Options
    add some fat to you meal...some flaxseed oil to your yogurt wouldn't affect the taste and it would give you more cals
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I like to have an egg in the morning, usually with some kind of vegetarian breakfast "meat" and fruit, or maybe a slice of whole wheat toast. Protein is key, it will keep you full and you won't get that crash that sometimes happens after a high carb breakfast like a bagel. I also sit at a computer all day, and I have no problem keeping alert all morning.
  • Water•Baby
    Options
    I stick to primarily protein for breakfast. These days it's one whole egg mixed with 1/4 cup of egg beaters, then three or four slices of Canadian/Back bacon. Keeps me satisfied all morning, and if I really feel like I need something around 10 I will have a banana.

(I sit at a computer all day, too! Bagels and high carb items like that tend to knock me out!)
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    I can't stand yogurt but my Mom really likes to put peanut butter in it. Not sure if that's actually any good or not, though! Maybe a breakfast bar with more protein would do you better to help keep you full for longer? I like a lot of the other suggestions here! Especially the banana! Those keep me full the longest!!!
  • SexySize9
    SexySize9 Posts: 43
    Options
    I work out in the field so I need something that I can eat in the car. I always bring my breakfast so that I am not tempted to stop for something that is not good for me

Just about every morning I have:
    2 hard boiled egg whites
    1 stick borden reduced fat cheese string
    1 70 calorie lit n fit smoothie
    1 pear
  • Zephyr36608
    Options
    I too am at a computer/desk job and I totally agree with the folks who say high protein. It will get you off to a good start, help fill that calorie void, keep you feeling full longer, and keep your blood sugar more stable throughout the morning-no carb drag there. I like to have a couple of eggs or egg beaters scrambled with cheese and a couple of pieces of either turkey sausage or turkey bacon. You might try the high protein breakfast a few days and see how it works for you. I'm definitely a body type that prefers high protein diets over high carb! I get my days fiber and carbs largely from Nature's Own double fiber whole wheat bread, or Fiber One cereal with honey clusters.
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I like fiber one cereal with blueberries. Fiber tends to keep you full longer and protein does the same thing.
  • kgehling
    kgehling Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am having a very hard time getting all my calories, and I know its because I am not eating a big enough breakfast. I usually eat yogurt and a breakfast bar with a cup of green tea, about 200 calories. I can't eat anything too heavy, because I work at a computer sitting down for 8 hours, and if I eat a heavy breakfast, like a bagel, I get very sluggish and sleepy. Is there anything you can think of that I can add to breakfast to up my calories, but not slow me down? Or am I just being difficult?

My question to you is...where's the protein?

My suggestion is to add some scrambled eggs, peanut butter, or whey protein powder.

My typical breakfast on workout days is 1/2 cup steel cut oats made with chai tea and a scoop of whey protein and a small apple.

And on off-days I have a veggie omelet made with 1 egg and 3 egg whites, 1 cup of stir fry veggies and 1/3 Weight Watchers mozzarella cheese and a small apple.

This may be a bit more k/cal than you want but you get the idea.

200 k/cal seems pretty low to me for breakfast...
  • j4nash
    j4nash Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    i eat ~900 calories for breakfast. favorite meal of the day! :smile: eat some eggs or some other form of protien, need something to balance the carbs.