Should I fire my personal trainer? U tell me

Options
Been working out for almost 3 weeks and hired a personal trainer - clearly informed him my goal is to lose 60 lbs, maybe i'm just

impatient but he has me doing full body weight training super stacks and no cardio - 2 sets of 15 - 30 depending on what exercise.

I used to eat about 3000 - 4000 calories / day when i wasn't using MFP. I have been staying between 1800 - 2400 cals / day for

the last 2 plus weeks. I printed the last 2 weeks of my food intake for my trainer and he never looked at them and said that wasn't a

huge concern. He is into body building and has made several comments that i should too. I feel alot better since starting to work

out but have actually gained 2 pounds. He says to trust him he's a professional (has a degree and all)

Does this sound wrong to anyone else or am I impatient.

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    impatient but he has me doing full body weight training super stacks and no cardio - 2 sets of 15 - 30 depending on what exercise.

No cardio is fine to start off with, have him teach you about metabolic conditioning.
    I printed the last 2 weeks of my food intake for my trainer and he never looked at them and said that wasn't a huge concern.

No matter what your goal diet and nutrition is the most important factor, even he should know that.
    He is into body building and has made several comments that i should too.

My trainer is isn't crossfit, i'm not, but i'm not going to fire him over it.
    I feel alot better since starting to work out but have actually gained 2 pounds.

Mostly water weight, give it time

My vote you TELL him what you want to learn. Have him teach you form, and exercise theories. TELL him to teach you how to squat, dead-lift, turkish get-up, clean&jerk, HIIT, super sets, german volume training, 5/3/1, carb cycling, fasting, pull ups, pendlay rows. what you must understand above all else:

YOU ARE HIS BOSS, IF HE DOES A BAD JOB, THAT IS YOUR FAULT, YOU ARE THE ONE PAYING HIM, GET YOUR MONEY WORTH.
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    i am on a program right now that is strictly strength training for 4 weeks. Then cardio gets added into the mix. The more lean body mass you have (muscle) the more efficiently and easily you will burn fat. Just watch your calories and eat your protein.
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer, and i'm nice to him and all, but I decide what i want to learn, where I want my work outs to go, I have my own goals regardless of what he likes, I don't care if he likes body building, or yoga, I want to accomplish my goals not his.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Other than the fact that the number of reps seems high, there is nothing wrong with what he has advised you to do. It would have been better if he looked at what you were eating, but if you told him the calories, he may be figuring that is enough, which it very likely could be. In three weeks your muscles will hold onto a lot of water to aid in recovery, so I wouldn't sweat the lack of weight loss right now. If you haven't already, take measurements (chest, waist, hips) as they will tell you more than the scale ever will. Frankly the number on the scale is only one measurement, and not a very useful one at that.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The weight gain is water weight. I'm lifting too and the scale says I've "gained" if I weigh myself the day after. I haven't, of course.

Your muscles tear a tiny bit when you lift, which caused some inflammation, which causes some minor swelling, which causes the fluid retention that shows up as weight gain.

Weight training is actually a pretty good way of losing weight. You don't have to do cardio, though you certainly can if you want.

As for the food journal- unless he's a trainer and a dietitian or has training in nutrition some how, he's really not qualified to tell you anything about your diet and it would be better for him not to pretend (in my opinion).

But the reality is, you pay him. If you don't like the program he's designed, talk to him about it, ask him to change it up, or get a new trainer.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    Well, if you build muscle, muscle burns fat faster..... but it does stink to see the scale go up. I know a body builder... he eats 6000 - 10000 calories a day... he can only do that because he has so much muscle.
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    for every pound of muscle you put on your burning 50 extra calories ....or so i was told.....maybe he is bulking you up then add cardio later and you'll see lbs fly off?
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    When I was about 20 I asked a personal trainer what I should do to lose some weight. He told me to lift really heavy things.

I though he was crazy and spent the next 10 years yo-yoing with my weight. If only he had actually explained to my WHY he said i should lift heavy things I may have not yo-yoed quite as much!

I think your personal trainer is giving you ok advice, but to not look at your food intake is a bit dismissive and the reps do seem high.
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    I started out working with a trainer who was into crossfitness (for lack of a better word.) He was interesting in strengthening my whole body, particularly my core, as well as helping me lose weight. We discussed my diet but since I'd been dieting for awhile with pretty good success, he didn't interfere unless I asked his opinion. He also wanted me doing cardio for at least 45 minutes on the days we didn't do strength training. I worked with him for about 9 weeks until he left the gym, and then I worked with another trainer (I had a package of training sessions) who was much more into body building. Being a woman, I didn't want to bulk up, not that he was pushing me to do this. It took a little longer to build a rapport with him, and he didn't agree with all the things the first trainer believed. I made progress with him but it was different. When my package of sessions ended at that gym, I contacted the old trainer and started to work with him at another gym where he had set up in business for himself. I just have a better rapport with him and feel like I make better progress with him.

I spend a lot of time at the gym on the elliptical staring out across the gym, so I get to observe a lot of trainers with their clients. I only see a small number that I would personally want to work with. If after a couple of more weeks you don't feel that you've developed a rapport with your trainer or feel you are making progress, it might be time to try another trainer. Perhaps you can talk to other people at your gym to see if any of them have recommendations.
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    As a personal trainer and you are stating weight loss as a goal, I would recommend hat you add 3 30 minutes sessions of cardio on top of your weight training. For weight loss, you want to weight train to build lean muscle mass, which will boost your metabolism. To help torch fat, add cardio. Mi would interval train, basically push hard, active recover. I am certified through American College of Sports Medicine, and cardio is recommended for losing weight...but you can do that on your own. You need him to make sure your form is correct,

You state you are feeling better, which is great. I would talk to him again and restate your goals and that your concerned you are not losing weight and see what he suggests.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • babytis
    babytis Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer, and i'm nice to him and all, but I decide what i want to learn, where I want my work outs to go, I have my own goals regardless of what he likes, I don't care if he likes body building, or yoga, I want to accomplish my goals not his.

Well said!!!!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE HIS BOSS, IF HE DOES A BAD JOB, THAT IS YOUR FAULT, YOU ARE THE ONE PAYING HIM, GET YOUR MONEY WORTH.
    Interesting you say this. If that was the case the original poster wouldn't be making progress at all. He hired the trainer for a reason so. So, the CLIENT is not the boss, the TRAINER is.

If that is not the case, then he should save his money and do it himself. Now, before I go on. I feel everyone should do their own research or fact check. You don't want to have a trainer that is all about bro science.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this makes sense to me. you can do cardio on your own. i've actually stopped using trainers because they would use 30 minutes of the time i was paying them for me to walk or run on a treadmill.