Toes go numb on elliptical

Options
After about 15 minutes on the elliptical my toes go numb. Does this happen to anyone else? I've tried everything from getting new shoes to limiting how much my foot moves while striding to adjusting where I place my feet on the pedals. Suggestions?

Replies

• PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    Everyone I have ever mentioned this to has said it happens to them as well. I switched to the crosscramp and it is easier to keep the feeling in my feet LOL
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I've only used the ARC trainer till today, and never had this problem. Today I used an elliptical and my toes were tingling like crazy.
  • Rroobbiinn
    Options
    Happens to me after about 30 min.
  • aerhursch
    aerhursch Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have this problem, too. Let me know if you have any suggestions for how to make it go away!
  • finchase
    finchase Posts: 174
    Options
    It happens to me too. I don't know why. It's a bit irritating but I just try to push through it.
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Yup! I tend to use ARC trainer if available to avoid that.
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    One of the fitness coaches at my gym said to increase the incline if that happens (not the intensity..... that's something different!). I have tried it and it works. Give it a shot. Just bump it up a couple numbers and see what happens. It tilts your feet more and allows proper blood flow to the toes.
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    That used to happen to me and the only thing I did was loosen my shoes... I don't know how it helped but it did. Maybe just gave my feet some extra room to move? No idea.
  • mimopolis
    mimopolis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh that happens to me too. I thought I was the only one! Better shoes do help, maybe you still don't have the right pair.
  • ClarkAddison
    ClarkAddison Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Bend your knees and stay back on your heals. This used to happen to me but I was given that advice. The tendency is to lean forward too much. Not a problem once I corrected the posture.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Lolooooo just yesterday I was feeling that but I didn't have the incline on. I don't remember that happening when I increase the incline. Maybe that helps?
  • kittyninja
    Options
    Mine always do that. I've gotten used to it because I love the elliptical.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I bought new shoes and bought a size bigger than I normally buy--problem solved, no more tingly toes!!! lol!!
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Someone already said loosen your shoes, so that was my answer :)

The nerves leading to your toes run at the ankle, and if your laces are too tight, they compress the nerves at that spot. :)
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    YUP!! What usually helps is not tying my shoes as tight as usual. Then when they start going numb - lift your foot for a few steps, to relieve some pressure. The more you are on the elliptical the less often it will happen. Sometimes my feet don't bother me at all and other times it isn't until 45 - 50 minutes, it use to happen after 10 - 15 minutes, your feet will adjust. Also some light jogger/runners will help because the shoe is not as heavy to move.

Good luck and have fun...... I love my elliptical and waiting to get my treadmill.
  • JakeMallory
    Options
    This used to happen to me, but hasn't happened in a looooong time because I figured out how to stop it. Lift your heels off the platform on the up-strokes just as you would running. You don't have to lift your entire foot off, just your heels. This will relieve the pressure and increase bloodflow. It takes some active thought at first, but now it is 2nd nature. It also makes your balance on the elliptical better because you don't feel glued to the elliptical.
  • seussfan
    seussfan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That happens to me every dang time. I select Reverse Mode so every few minutes it has me change my direction. This allows me to change the pressure from the ball of my foot to my heel. I also really try to shift the pressure off my toes when I am going forward.
  • bluestocking06
    bluestocking06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, it would also happen when I ran. I talked to the lady at my local sneaker store and she told me it was from shoes being too tight across the top of your foot. Try lacing them looser. I had to get new shoes to accommodate my ridiculously high arch, but I've never had the problem since.
  • rkmnp
    rkmnp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'll try sticking with a higher incline. I tend to do "Random" where it's constantly changing the incline. Maybe if I just stick to one....
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    That actually happens to me sometimes. I thought it had something to do with lack of proper blood circulation. It appears that the more weight I lose and the more active I become, the less this happens. Can't say for certain.